Name that genre

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Greggy, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    OK, here's the deal. Whenever a friend or acquaintance hears my music for the first time, he/she invariably asks me to identify the genre. Problem: I couldn't care less. I don't listen to music that often, am not a fan of music for the most part (no fav musicians, songs, etc.). I simply generate musical ideas that I subsequently perform and record because that makes me happy.

So, I am posting this recent song of mine as representative of my recent bent. If you had to classify this song by genre, what would it be? (Note: crap is not a genre:D )

Beyond Hadrian's Wall

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Rock.
    Cool tune.

3. Greggy

Greggy Member

Wayne, thanks for listening. I always appreciate your comments and insights.

This was my first foray into horn arrangements, just held my breath and let her rip on my synth. When folks ask about genre, I have no answer. It's not that I don't sympathize with the human instinct to categorize everything, categorization is often a great help in communicating complex subjects as it tends to simplify a complicated world. But with respect to music, I wish more folks would reject the practice and let go.

One more point: my wife has warned me that my comments about not being a fan, not listening to music, can sound offensive or arrogant to some. I do have a background as a music fan, especially as a teen and into my late 20s. It's just that as I've entered my 40s I no longer feel the urge to plug in a cd while driving, or resting at home with the stereo blaring. I prefer talk radio and active hobbies like running, working out, and sex!!!:dude

So please don't take my comments the wrong way. I definitely appreciate the talent of musicians, and especially their passion in the face of what is too often a meager income.

Anyway, please give me your opinions respecting genre, I'm tired of answering those friends and acquaintances with a blank stare.:D

4. gtrchris

gtrchris Member

IMHO If it makes you happy then that's enough in itself.:angel
    I think the piece could go in a lot of different directions, and this could ultimately change it's genre or style classification.
    At present to me it sounds like a demo with midi melody-the next stage might be to have someone play or sing the melody or write lyrics to use with it.You need to phrase when you write a melody, regardless of whether it's a instrumental or vocal melody.(general rule if you can't sing it then it's not a melody-jazz fusion excluded)
    Next, you might want to arrange it into a song form(verse-chorus- bridge- solo etc. or whatever)
    (there's alot of stuff I'm leaving out to keep things brief)
    Once that happens, the style or genre will become more clear.
    You might want to listen to some classic songs to get a sense of what 8 bar and 12 bars phrases are, and why they are used so often in music.
    I think if these issues are addressed then he/she won't have to ask what kind of piece it is, it will speak for itself.
    Though all these areas (form,melody,rhythm,arranging, etc) require years of study, and like you've indicated above, you may not be interested at all-that's cool too!
    peace

5. Greggy

Greggy Member

The piece definitely lacks a "recognized" structure. I like the idea of creating a vocal melody line, then transpose it into an instrumental line. Regarding the study of music, I "was" a theory student as a teen under Jan Ammerman here in St. Louis. But that ended when I graduated from HS, and I've forgotten 90% of what I once knew. But you're right, I don't have an interest in going back to that again. Appreciate your comments.:)

6. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

sounds a little like pop to me.

7. Greggy

Greggy Member

I recorded the song with Britney Spears' comeback in mind.:D Seriously, thanks for listening.