Name that Verb....!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi all,

I hope everybody is doing well.
    I was wondering if some of you could drop a line and tell me something.
    Out of these five pedals, which one sucks the least tone while in operation?......and gives the best effect quality.

1. EH Holy Grail
    2. Digitech Digiverb
    3. Line 6 Verbzilla
    4. EBS Dynaverb
    5. Marshall Reflector
    Vote away, and all time and effort is appreciated!
    Thanks again and best regards,
    Mass

2. rod horncastle

rod horncastle Member

I've tried all except the EBS. No one caries it around here. All I can say is that after trying all 3. I went out & bought the new Marshall REFLECTOR. For around $100.00 bucks I loved this thing. The Verbzilla might be a bit better sounding. But I've never heard an amp spring reverb sound better than the Marshall Pedal. Very adjustable too. You Can control the Hi-end. I use the HALL setting, never been a spring reverb fan.
    Best of all it can use a basic BOSS power supply.

It seems I lose almost no tone when on. Not at the volume I play. I'm pretty happy with it all around...

3. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

Digiverb gets my vote

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've used an EBS and it really sounds much more "pro" than the Holy Grail and the Line 6 IMO. No tone suck, very natural.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I haven't tried the others except the HG and EBS.

I didn't like the HG, but I don't remember noticing particulat tone-suck with it, my issues with it were non-control of reverb tails, not flexible, not enough sounds, no tone control.

I bought the EBS. That one I feel has NO tone suck when on, but I haven't A/B'ed it. One thing, the EBS does have a tone control, so you can control the tone of the reverb as well, and when any reverb is on, the sound of the actual verb is also mixing with the sound of the dry guitar...so you ALWAYS are affecting the overall sound. That is why I loved that they have a tone control....I can choose to match my dry tone, or make it bassier or more trebly.

6. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Rod Horncastle,
    In what capacity did you think the Verbzilla was better sounding? Was there more tonal quality or overall depth to it, or was it just more versatile. The reason I ask is because the Verbzilla is what I have come to find myself targeting after a long search on the verb issue.
    Where did you but the Marshall Reflector from?
    Sounds like a real new pedal....I am interested in it, and will try to read up on it. If money wasn't an option or hinderence, would you go with the Verbzilla before the reflector?
    Are the other settings very useable?

I appreciate your time, efforts, and help.
    Best regards, Mass

7. radcliff

radcliff Member

i tried the verbzilla today at GC, and i loved it. i cant wait to buy one for the octo strings setting...very cool effect. i like how the line 6 stuff lets you roll off the highs making them not so digital sounding, and the 63 setting sounds real good.

8. donnyrocker

donnyrocker Member

HG: too many digital artifacts crept into the mix.
    Digiverb: I really liked it at first, great bang for the buck, but added that digital shooshiness. The Spring poinking was charming at first, then became annoying.
    Verbzilla: I am so happy it's clean and doesn't have the hum that the several Echo Parks I tried had. Battery or wall wart, it's very clean sounding. There is some hiss when you aren't playing, but no tone sucking and, playing through it into clean (Top Hat CR212) or crunchy, you hear nothing but effect. I got great advice on the "ducking" setting and highly recommend it. The two "spring" settings are distinct, flavorful and true. I love plate reverb and this does a very good job at it. I like the "cave" setting too. And just in case, it has an echo setting too!

I am not familiar with the other models mentioned.

9. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

I have played most of them, and bought the Line 6 verb. Its versatile, and above all it sounds great in a lot of settings. Almost as good as the lexicon rack gear ive had.
    Thanks.
    Orlando

10. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

yeah, VZ has a better spring than digiverb, but DV has better studio sounding fx imo...

-j