Name the best albums you've heard in the last 2 to 3 years.

Demioblue

Silver Supporting Member
Talking about NEW albums launched recently in the last few years. My list so far:

1) Sixx A.M. - The Heroin Diaries - Wow... What can I say? This has got to be one killer effort from the 3 guys. Everything from the playing, composition to recording is nothing but exceptional. It's way way ahead of most stuff I hear coming from the US these days. James Michael's voice is what really caught me on this album. Not so much DJ Ashba's playing, who's rhythm work is killer, but the singing!!! Oh wow... That's emotion right there... I wonder if he does any other band efforts? I hope they put out a 2nd release, but considering the original purpose of this album, I'm not sure if that's gonna happen. This album is so good that I'd consider it a modern classic, if it wasn't so serious. it's what Motley Crue should have sounded like! Nikki Sixx was GREAT in this retelling of his sordid past!

2) Delain - April Rain - Their first album was so so... nothing new from the european metal scene. But their 2nd album, is fantastic... Charlotte Wessel's (only 22 years old!) voice here really shines. Killer tones from the guitars too, but the songwriting here is so much stronger. Much more cohesive album. This made the band one to watch for the future!

3) Kamelot - The Ghost Opera - What can I say? Roy Khan's voice delivers much more on this album. I was surprised to find out it was an American band, considering they sound 100% european. Excellent drumming and killer compositions. Extremely well produced. Hope they make it even bigger than they are now. The metal scene needs a boost!

4) Nightwish - Dark Passion Play - Ok, believe it or not, I actually liked this. I thought the usual negative comments on the new singer weren't really justified. Sure, she's not got the opera vox that Tarja had, but honestly, after a few songs of the old nightwish, I gave up. Annette's voice is a lot more soothing on the long plays. It's poppish, but she's got a more accessible dimension compared to Tarja. The compositions on this album, I must say, have been quite good. I was expecting disappointment when I bought this. I was pleasantly surprised.

5) In This Moment - The Dream - Wow... Maria Brink's vocals here are more polished and more accessible than the first CD they put out. Here she actually sounds like a female version of Sebastian Bach, complete with the screams he used to do as well. One of the few female vocalists who don't get annoying. She's got so much texture to her voice, it's amazing. The band isn't half bad, honestly. For a metalcore band, they're quite good. but her voice is what you buy this album for...

6) Joe Bonamassa - The Ballad of John Henry - Wow... EXCELLENT guitar work! Much better efforts than his past albums. I felt this album shows some maturity that his previous ones lacked. This is a MUST have for contemporary blues fans!

7) John Mayer - Where The Light Is - THE Live recording to own for the last 3 years. Excellent quality, and JM's playing is top notch here! His real killer is his acoustic set, which to me shows his ability to hold the stage as a performer. I'd shrivel under those conditions myself. And he pulls it off amazingly! Solid Solid performance from JM!

8) Chickenfoot - Old guys can still rock! and Rock HARD! This was definately not a disappointment for me, though I know some people have their gripes about it. Nothing about this album made me wish it was done differently. They were all just having fun, and you could hear it! OH YEAH!

9) Joe Satriani - Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion Of Rock - DAMN! TONE! That's what this album is about! Nothing much on fancy playing here, but the tones in this album are to die for. Revalation is a KILLER song!

10) Extreme - Saudades De Rock - Gary Cherone & Nuno Betterncourt. Back together! Need I say more?

Brooks

mastodon - crack the skye
will bernard - blue plate special
medeski scofield martin & wood - out louder
wino - punctured equlibrium

Last edited:

TheFlash

Mute Math - Armistace

Just released last week and I can't believe how good it is...just as good as their first which is really hard to top.

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member
Ray Lamontagne - Gossip in the Grain

The Weepies - Say I Am You (just found this one and can't get enough of it)

Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger (for me, the best album fro him since Heartbreaker)

Derek Trucks Band - Almost Free

Those are among the first that came to mind...

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
Phoenix- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix- Perfect power pop with killer melodies. Not a single bad track on this one.

Wilco (the album)- I know this one gets it's share of criticism, but I think it's just great from start to finish.

EDIT: I forgot about Radiohead- In Rainbows, and many others, I'm sure.

Last edited:

solphilcox

Brand New - The devil and god are raging inside me
Manchester Orchestra - I'm like a virgin losing a child
Four Year Strong - Rise or die trying
the bled - found in the flood
sonny landreth - from the reach
the boy will drown - fetish

brdstl

Bat for Lashes- "Two Suns"
Those Darlins-"S/T"
The Whigs-"Mission Control"
Tom Waits-"Orphans"
There are many others which I cannot think of at the moment.

weezy

Phoenix- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - I agree with Beng2040 - great album, something different!
Wilco - Sky Blue Sky - it's a perfect album, one of my favorites of all time.
Umphrey's McGee - Mantis - they finally captured their sound, trippy, sonic, heavy, smooth, it's got it all.
Sonic Youth - The Eternal - wow, the best SY album since Dirty.
STS9 - Artifact - this one's more than a few years old... maybe 4 years old... but it's the most perfect album I've ever heard. Still in heavy rotation.

LPSlinger

A few of my recent favorites:

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Interpol - Our Love To Admire
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Cardinology
Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
Sigur Ros - með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
Steven Wilson - Insurgentes
The Reign of Kindo - Rhythm, Chord, and Melody
Hillsong United - A_cross The_earth - Tear Down The Walls
Derek Trucks Band - Already Free

Bryan316

Sabaton - The Art of War

Chickenfoot

Symphony X - Paradise Lost

Elvenking - The Scythe

Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic: Calling

nnick

Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Sonic Youth - The Eternal
Dinosaur Jr. - Farm
The National - Boxer
Jeremy Enigk - OK Bear
Doves - Kingdom of Rust
The Gutter Twins - Adorata
The Night Marchers - See You In Magic
The Phantom Band - Checkmate Savage
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Witch - Paralyzed
The Thermals - Now We Can See

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
Not really my type of music, but my daughter introduced me to them, and damn if they aren't full of some great songwriting:

Green Day - American Idiot
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

GregoryL

Levon Helm - Dirt Farmer

The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism

The Felice Brothers

Buddy and Julie Miller - Written in Chalk

The Sadies - New Season

Luke Doucet - Blood's Too Rich

Hayes Carll - Trouble in Mind

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Dang, I need to get that Sonny Landreth one of these days!

Umphrey's McGee - Mantis
Jimmy Herring - Lifeboat
Ed DeGenaro - Less is Seldom More
Brad Paisley - Play
Los Lobos - The Town & the City

Simto

1: John Mayer - Continuum: I would go as far as saying it's one of the best albums of all time. Every single note on that album is just perfect, from the first drum beat to the last chord.
The songs and the lyrics are just amazing.

2: Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace: Great album, when Pretender starts i just get the chills, and the build up in Let it die and Come alive, and the drums on Erase Replace are just insane! i feel like i'm in a giant arena whenever i hear that song.
And the ballad of the beaconfield miners! beautiful guitar duet

3: Green Day - American Idiot: Amazing album, from start to finish, when Are we the waiting comes on i just get chills and then it just explodes into St. Jimmy.
All the songs have a great story. The granduer of Jesus of Surburbia to the beautiful and a little middle eastern Extraordinary girl, that album kick ass so bad!

brdstl

Levon Helm - Dirt Farmer

The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism

The Felice Brothers

Buddy and Julie Miller - Written in Chalk

The Sadies - New Season

Luke Doucet - Blood's Too Rich

Hayes Carll - Trouble in Mind
Looks like you remembered some that I totally forgot.

Trending Topics