Name the gear

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Schmoo, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Schmoo

Schmoo Member

I've gotta say, the *What Amp?* threads are both entertaining and educational to read. Being new, it also seems like a great way to get your feet wet (plus I didn't see any similar rigs as mine;) ). I've been playing most of my life, but only started recording around five years ago...the first 4 1/2 were with a Pod or a PSA-1, the last few months have been using tubes, cabs and a mic...so have a heart.

Hint: Think eighties for the preamp, and nineties for the poweramp

P.S. No cheating - I do have the gear listed on my page - try and guess without searching!

Gear Guess Tune \ Save

2. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Mesa Studio preamp, Marshall 9100 power amp????

Great playing and clip.
    Love it.
    Steve

3. dave s

dave s Member

JMP-1 into a Mesa 50-50 power amp?

dave

4. Schmoo

Schmoo Member

Thanks for listening guys. So whats the routine - tell you that you're both warm with the Mesa for the Poweramp but ice cold on the other? :D

I suppose I shouldn't say anything else and just see what happens. Very cool forum.

Schmoo

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

6. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

I have no idea on the gear.... but I REALLY liked the clip Schmoo! What did you record the acoustic sections with? Great sound.

Chris

7. Schmoo

Schmoo Member

Thanks man - the acoustic is really the cheapest piece of gear I own. Just an old Yamaha (sorry, doesn't even have a visible model - but trust me, were talkin' like a $300 el cheapo) my old singer used to pretend to strum during songs, lol. The mic for that was just an Oktava MK319 - I'm love cheap gear...a 57 for other stuff of course.

Unburst - thats a negative.

8. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

I'm a big fan of gear on the cheap. Love the recorded sound... Will keep my eye out for an old Yamaha with no visible model # =)

Would love to hear more of your stuff! I'll keep an eye out for more posts from you.

Chris

9. Schmoo

Schmoo Member

lol! Thanks for the props.

Funny, the first time I needed to record with it, I told the dude at GC to just "give me strings that can make a crappy acoustic sound decent." I was was shocked at the difference just doing that had. :D

P.S. the little nylon part at the end of the clip was also a cheapy - the *Estban* infommercial guitar guy...here it is in use (another gift). Now to me, for being cheap, that one sounds really nice!

Edit: Sent ya a PM

10. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

LMAO!! That totally rocks! I have to buy one of those now... just to say I own one too!

Thanks for making my day!!

11. Schmoo

Schmoo Member

FWIW:

Peavey Rockmaster Preamp
    Mesa 20:20 Poweramp

12. scottl

scottl Member

Why does it say "Player X" Derek? ;)

Nice clip btw.... A ton of Vai articulations...no?

13. Schmoo

Schmoo Member

Ohh crap! Oh well, my fault...I tweaked the mix a bit this morn and uploaded it again, musta missed that! Woops!

Yeah, the name is Derek - Schmoo was my late Grandfathers nickname...was a cool guy, bought me my first "real" guitar...I always liked his nickname.

Ya know, somebody else mentioned the Vai influence and I was surprised to hear that (he termed it as "you have lot's of little *Vai-ism's*). I've never even owned a Vai CD. I did grab the live in Astoria DVD though, but because I've always been a Macalpine fan - not Vai.

Thanks for listening.:)

14. Unburst

Unburst Member

Marshall JMP-1

15. Schmoo

Schmoo Member

Heh, I wish I had that much to spend on a preamp!

I mentioned a couple of posts up what it was - Rockmaster pre ($140 on ebay) and a Mesa 20:20 pwr (bought off a buddy for $500). I'm still learning the ropes with mic'd recordings - hopefully will be able to get a better mic'd sound soon.

16. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

I have one of those! I don't like the clean channel... but I think the other two rock. It is an awsome tool for scratch tracking... easy to get a workable sound using it at line level... plus no fighting with mics/placement.

I say I don't like the clean channel... but I have used it to record something... and it came out sounding pretty cool. Here is that clip (Rythem was recorded with the RM):

Instrumental 2

Me likes the Rockmaster.

P.S. This was never finished... and I probably won't cause I is a lazy bastage.

17. Schmoo

Schmoo Member

That sounds great, sounds like you did that at a lower volume too?

I agree about the RM's clean, don't like it much either, but the crunch channel pretty much rules, and the ultra is great too, I just need my GE-7 and BBE to help it out a little.

Excellent piece, btw. So what did you record the lead through?

18. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

That was my Marshal with the tubescreamer again. btw... let me know as soon as you are done recording the albums worth of material you are working on... I'll be the first to buy it!!

19. Schmoo

Schmoo Member

Meh, after hearing your clips, I think the number one thing I need to focus on is PRACTICING much more! But thanks. ;)

I've had that clip in a loop for a while now, so many great liilte nuances, jezuz - how long have you been playing?!:D

20. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Eeeep... I appreciate the compliment... but I sucketh! Hmmm.. good question... how long now :confused: I am gonna try and figure this out... I think I started playing when I was 12... but not seriously until around 15. I am 33 now... soooo. how ever many years is between those number ... hahaha.

You need to post more of your stuff out here for people to hear! Either that or add your site link to your sig... it is great stuff!