Name the top 3 guitars you've been spending time with latey

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MkIII Renegade, May 9, 2020.

1. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    ...on whatever projects or gigs. Guitars that are in the moment for you.

I've been digging my ash/ebony Charvel "Nuno" San Dimas guitar with L500XL/'59. I bought it to get as close as possible to having the Washburn N4 without having to spend $3-4K. There is a nice edge to the 500 that is unique (especially in the upper register), never even a hint of mud. It's very bridgey, which only makes the round neck sound of the '59 seem more of a contrast than an average combo and works well with the factory push-pull coil splitting. DYNAMITE fretwork and raw neck feel on this one.

[​IMG]

My Edwards unofficial "Rhoads" Les Paul Custom with covered JB/'59 and slim 60s style neck. The JB sounds better in a Les Paul to me than anywhere else. I had to take a plunge and buy this direct from Japan via ebay based purely on internets reviews and have no regrets. The result? It soon had a brother, the official Edwards John Sykes Les Paul Custom model, with a slightly beefier neck and Duncan Distortion set, which give this guitar more of a raging bull personality. I'll cheat (this is TGP) and call this one entry since I've been mostly playing the white one lately.

[​IMG]

I wanted a fully traditional Strat (my first), specifically a '79 style but with jumbo frets and 4-bolt for going into Roger Fisher mode with a side of Don Felder. This ash Fender American Performer is easily the glassiest, cleanest sounding guitar I've ever had, sparkles even when unplugged. Very, very nice for chords especially. Still breaking this one in, but any relic effect in the future will be the result of me playing it---a LOT. :cool:

[​IMG]

2. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog Gold Supporting Member

I'll put pictures up later:

2004 Fender Tele that someone converted into a two TV-Jones classic tele with bigsby in turqouise
    2004 Fender Tele in burst
    2019 Red Rocket junior like guitar in robin blue, two staple lollar p-90's.

There is something wonderful about the teles cij in the early part of the century. You can find them on Reverb for less than $1,400 (with bigsby's, which is what I prefer) and they have custom shop pickups. They just play and sound great.

The Red Rocket I'm torn on. It's a fantastic looking and playing guitar but the staple p-90's are monstrous and hard to control. Debating getting new pickups for it.

3. s2y

s2y Member

Ibanez limited edition (purple quilt top) 7 string with DiMarzio PAF7 pickups
    Ibanez AZ 2204f
    Bob Thompson torrified Englemann on Brazilian OM

4. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

Three partscasters that I assembled.
    - MJT strat with vibrato, and Hot Vintage Noiseless.
    - Ash-Body HH with vibrato, and DiMarzio 36th Anniversary.
    - MJT strat hardtail, and Vintage Noiseless.

MkIII Renegade likes this.
  5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Probably my strat. Or my other strat... could be my third start? :dunno

dansworld and Gl4th like this.
  6. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

ESP Kamikaze 4
    Les Paul custom 68RI

The others are pretty much in the case.

MkIII Renegade likes this.
  7. scotty31

scotty31 Member

I’m in the middle of renos, so I’ve packed most my stuff away

Have kept the ‘06 R6, my 98 California strat and picked up an 07 PRS McSoapy.
    They’ve been my electrics
    Got my acoustics inside too

8. Andrey

Andrey Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG] My N4 ,authentic version, was used alot lately too, as i was learning Nuno riffs. Also 20 years old TA DropTop and one great custom made SStrat.

These are not in cases usually.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  9. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I just reconfigured my entire gear room and everything got cased up before I did so. I only have one electric out right now-my EBMM Steve Morse. Just restrung it with 9.5-44s and really enjoying it. The other two would both be acoustics-a Yamaha LS6 that punches WAY above its weight, and my old Taylor 454CE 12 string. Been working on some Lindsey Buckingham stuff.
    My work schedule has been modified due to Covid-19, so I work Thursday to Wednesday (with Sunday off) and then I'm off the following Thursday to Wednesday. This puts only half of our employees in the office per cycle to avoid spread of the virus. We have 30 locations and 1900 employees and so far there are only two cases both contracted during travel. This next break I am going to finish getting the room together and get everything out again.

10. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I think I’ll name them Percival, Whelby, and Mr Mistoffelees

:rimshot

stanshall likes this.
  11. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

I only own three guitars.

In what order would you like them listed?:)

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  12. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Center bottom, center top.
    The rest are just kinda laying around.

rauchman, rapaul76, Ejphotos and 4 others like this.
  13. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Been playing my most recent acquisition the most, a 2013 PRS DGT:

Followed up by my Suhr Standard:

and Tom Anderson Cobra S

All great variations on the Gibson/Fender hybrid theme with the DGT tending to the LP side of things, the Suhr tending to the Fender side and the Anderson being a Jack of all Trades.

Tomi JR, Sneaks, Mr.Blue and 9 others like this.
  14. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    Interesting, I knew Anderson and Suhr were similar, but hadn't paid much attention to them in the past, so I looked up some history since they obviously share DNA.

Small world, eh? Learned something new already today. :cool:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Anderson_Guitarworks

History
    Tom Anderson started out working for Dave Schecter (founder of Schecter Guitar Co.) in 1977 and stayed until the company was sold in 1984. Dave Schecter told Anderson "If you really want to do what you want, you need to start your own company",[1] which led Anderson to start his own company. Their first contract was building pickups for Schecter Japan, and during the first year they were manufactured in Anderson's garage.

After moving to a dedicated building they also started making guitar bodies and necks, which were sold to for instance John Suhr (Pensa-Suhr), Roger Sadowsky, and Jim Tyler. Until 1987, the company's focus was producing parts for others, but that year they brought some completed guitars to the NAMM Show and signed with several dealers.[2] In the following years sales grew, and in 1990 they stopped selling parts to focus solely on building completed instruments. To further internalise the production, they started doing their own paintwork in 1992, and by 1993 the only parts they don't manufacture themselves are metal pieces like tuners and bridges.[1]

Darbarian and Texsunburst59 like this.
  15. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Yes, there's definitely a connection. See this thread for details https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...om-anderson-and-suhr-guitars-related.1369754/
    Once you get past the visual similarity, there are alot of differences between the two.

16. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I've only been playing 2 guitars lately, my Taylor 414ce and PRS Custom 24. Which, frankly, is how it should be. :red

17. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

These three for me. Home rehearsal/demos and studio.

Koll Duo Glide - Thorn Grantura - Frank Brothers Arcade

[​IMG]

18. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

Private Stock 509 w/ a Floyd? Dang..

19. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Does it count if I only have 3 guitars?

orourke, Black&Blue, ckyrost and 3 others like this.