Name This Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sniffyduke, Aug 17, 2008.

1. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  2. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

3. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Its a Silvertone/ Harmony model. I forget which one, but not hard to find.

4. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

5. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

Still, Seems hard to find.

Are these guitars have the playability of es335s?

6. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I do not know the guitar but I know the guy! That is Jimmy G from St. Louis. I have worked at Arlington with him and sold him a few guits. He is a great player.

7. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Hmmm... how about "Ugly Betty?"

8. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

The only real appeal of these guitars, aside from their appearance, is their Gibson-made mini-humbuckers. Although they're top-of-the-line for Harmony, they're still cheap guitars which have nowhere near the playability of an ES-335 (and this is coming from someone who dislikes 335s). They're also fully hollow, unlike 335s. They've been seen in the hands of a few famous folks like John Hiatt.

9. XKnight

XKnight Member

I'd name it Leroy.

10. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

It's a cheaply made guitar? then why do they want $1,500 for it in the add above.

The harmony esponada is a rare guitar. Anyone here of these?

11. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Prices on Harmony guitars have shot up in the last few years to the point that they're often completely ridiculous. It seems to vary by model; I've seen dealers ask more than $4000 for Espanadas, while Bobcats sell for $4-600. Occasionally you might find a Harmony-built guitar that plays well after 40 years, but they're few and far between in my experience. Maybe the one in the ad above is the exception rather than the rule.

People seem to believe that the pickups make the guitar, and so any Harmony with a Gibson humbucker or P-13 sells for way more than the same guitar with a DeArmond. People also seem to go nuts for anything made in the USA, even if it was the cheapest guitar available at the time it was made.

12. bgwicks

bgwicks Member

This guitar is known as the Chris Isaak Model, as it was his favorite guitar, and his band the silvertones is named after it. I have one in mint condition, even with the clear plastic body protection cover.

I also have 3 old Gretsch's and 3 Gibson 335s. The Silvertone is more Gretsch like than 335 as it is fully hollow. Against my 61 and 67 Tenesseans's it actually has a much fuller sound, I guess due to the pickups which were designed by Seth Lover. On the pickups they were designed by Lover, however for some reason they were sold in bulk for use in the silvertone model. The history behind these pickups is now probably lost, however it is pretty cool to open them up and see the pat sticker on the back.

The finish of the guitar is what you would expect from a silvertone, being pretty basic. The neck also has the silvertone feel, being that the wood feels lighter then a gibson.

Playability greatly varies on these guitars. A good one will play very well however.

The value on these is continuing to go up, because they associate with Chris Isaak, and are better sounding and looking instruments than most silvertones.

[​IMG]

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

That works.

I was thinking "Bill" but "Ugly Betty" is probably a better choice.