Name this pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by radcliff, Mar 12, 2006.

1. radcliff

radcliff Member

Looking for a pedal that can go well with a Zendrive, and be the lighter OD, the booster, but remain clear, and without the huge midrange hump.

Any ideas? I was thinkin AC booster

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

AC Booster sounds about right

3. jeak

jeak Member

Tim or Timmy.

4. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

Personally when I had an AC Booster I found it only really stacked well with clean boosts as it has a tendency to disappear into the mix. I used to put a Sexdrive in front of it to 'excite' it a bit.

+1 for TIM or Timmy for clarity and versatility of the EQ but I did hear a friend of mine using a Zendrive being driven by a treble booster and it sounded great.

5. mcormier

mcormier Guest

+1 for tim
    +1 for timmy

Get the tim if you need an od and a boost.. otherwise get the timmy

6. radcliff

radcliff Member

grrrrrreat.....i guess the two month wait starts now
    but from the threads i've read it sounds well worth it

thanks

7. erksin

erksin Member

I've had the AC and the Timmy at the same time - the AC has more mids IMO and didn't stack as well as the Timmy...

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Forget the AC... if you're looking at Xotic, you've described the BB.

It can produce less gain than the AC (like, in RC territory), sounds great as a booster, doesn't have any mid hump, and is very very clear sounding without getting unpleasantly gritty.

Another one to check out is the new Menatone Red Snapper... very sweet. I've owned 3 different incarnations of the RS and it can also do what you've described. Very close to the Timmy in sound and feel. Actually, the Red Snapper is what got me to sell my Timmy... both together on the same board was redundant, and I liked the low gain and clean-up of the Snapper much better.

If you've already ordered the Timmy, cool. It's a good pedal for sure. While you wait though, it's worth it to check out the Red Snapper and Xotic BB Preamp.

-Ben

9. radcliff

radcliff Member

Interesting....I tried a BB yesterday and there was alot of extra noise while the pedal was on...but I did like the Red Snapper I tried, so the Snapper sound is similar to what I would get from a Tim's drive?

10. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

The BB is a very compressed pedal, but for the low-gain application you wanted it for, it shouldn't be noisy at all. Mine was a bit noisy at higher-gain settings, but even that wasn't too bad.

I A/B'd the Timmy (not Tim) with the Snapper I had at the time... a PTP 4-Knob Red Snapper. Yes, I think the Timmy sounded very similar. They're both very open and their gain sounds similar. The Timmy sounded more 'Hi-Fi' with a touch more bass... the RS just had that something extra to me, PLUS it just cleaned up so much better with the vol. knob which was important to me.

-Ben

11. radcliff

radcliff Member

Very cool, those are things I look for. Maybe a Fish Factory is the way to go.

Something mild, that will stack, and not create a wall of hum, and not have an unattractive midrange.....BUT can boost and to a bit of a blues tone.

My previous main pedal was a Jekyll, but the Zen beats its heavy side in complexity, and the Jekyll's light side is to middy.

12. stratofied

stratofied Member

Tim.