NAMM '09; Sonuus G2M Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vitgit, Jan 21, 2009.

1. vitgit

vitgit Member

Interesting product that was featured on NAMM '09:
    Sonuus G2M — Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

[​IMG]

This small box converts your guitar audio signal to MIDI.
    You don't need to install midi-pickup on the guitar.
    Great idea, but how good it works?
    If someone has tried it, it would be great to hear your opinion.
    How's the tracking, latency?
    Is there any converters like this from other brands?

There's some demos on their youtube site:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Guitar2Midi

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  2. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

According to their site, this thing is monophonic.

No chords....

3. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

If that's the case, I can't really see this being all that useful

4. vitgit

vitgit Member

5. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I was looking forward to it at the Namm show. Walked by the booth and someone else was demoing it so I listened for a bit.

Unfortunately, what I heard was mostly horn and wind instrument patches, which I think take a lot more nuance to sound real than what simple midi note messages can provide. There's something to be said for breath controllers and such to actually get something somewhat realistic. And of course that's very dependent on the patch being driven. The first of the youtube videos highlight this issue for me. I would have loved to have heard a reasonable synth lead patch or something along those lines in person.

I definitely heard some very quick glitching, and what seemed to be a bit of latency though without actually playing it, I can only based on my impression watching. Re: latency, there always seems to be something "unswinging" when I hear a lot of guitar synthesis which I attribute to latency times and the players reaction to it.

My opinion, based on owning a couple roland GR systems, the first G-Vox system (god I pissed away too much money on that toy), and experiments with computer based processing (pure data and vst note-midi converters). Maybe it feels better than that.

And what for some is a toy can be a wonderful creative device with potential that its designers didn't realize themselves. Maybe this is the case here, maybe not.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  6. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

The OP neglected to post the link to their site, but here it is:

http://www.sonuus.com/products.html

"...it is a true plug-and-play solution for monophonic MIDI guitar..."

7. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

My experience is similar to yours - I've had a Roland GR-700 and a GI-20. I now own a Roland VG-99. When I play the '99, I don't use the MIDI guitar functionality often - the 99's internal synth models, which are driven by real guitar string audio instead of MIDI, is so much more responsive to dynamics, phrasing, etc.

This is an exciting time for guitarists who are into creative electronics. New NAMM items that are of more interest to me than the Sonuus:

Keith McMillen StringPort:
    http://www.keithmcmillen.com/stringport/index.html

Handy little box that takes input from any GK type pickup, produces 6 channels of string audio for processing. Includes a nice software bundle (Synful Orchestra - a demo version driven by the real strings, SMECK, VST Wall, 6-channel vocoder, Notation). Main software is in Max/MSP and is user-modifiable

MOTU Volta (no official page yet, use Google)

Send control voltage signals directly from your DAW to your voltage-controlled gear (Moogerfooger pedals, analog synths, etc.). Works with MOTU audio interfaces and other brand interfaces that have DC-coupled outputs. Will convert MIDI to CV, but your DAW's automation curves, which are much, much higher resolution than MIDI, can also be sent out as CV.

8. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

That Volta sounds interesting (not to derail, but...). I have a trumpet playing friend who used to do something somewhat similar instead of using midi CC messages to control effects. In Max/MSP he would send a generated white noise signal out of a secondary output, into a volume pedal, and then back into a secondary input. Max would then read the volume controlled signal for its amplitude, and the resulting value used to modulate whatever effect he he wanted. Resolution on the order of thousands instead of 128 values.

And to drive this further off track: the creator of Synful is giving a presentation today to the UCSD music dept. You're an alum, right Gov.?

joe

9. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Interesting application!

The ICMC paper (PDF file) on Keith's website has this to say about StringPort's Max/MSP integration:

"The StringPort ships with a Host Application written in
    Max/MSP. Feature extraction such as continuous pitch,
    amplitude, centroid, even/odd and noise component are
    provided
    as well as trigger and articulation events in a
    format anticipating the HD Protocol for MIDI devices from
    the MMA. Users may modify the provided programs"

Yessir. Dick Moore and G. Lewis continue to influence my musical thinking to this day, even if my brain only absorbed a pitifully tiny percentage of their knowledge. Are you a current grad student over there? I was just an undergrad engineering major taking music courses to satisfy my Warren College Area Studies requirements.

Perhaps you can ask the Synful developer to talk a bit about his modifications to Synful to work with StringPort - synthesized strings, horns, etc. generated by additive synthesis can sound great when triggered from MIDI keyboard, but I can only imagine how much more lifelike they would sound when triggered off of real strings. This is all Keith has to say on it at the moment:

"Synful is an attractive complement to the
    StringPort. It is based on an additive synthesis method
    (RPM) that supports realistic timbre manipulation that map
    directly to the output of the StringPort analysis methods
    ."

10. paults

paults Member

My Sonuus arrived in the mail yesterday.

As mentioned in the doco that comes with it, its ESSENTIAL to set the pitch bend range of every synth sound to +2 and -2 to get accurate tracking. Depending on the sound, you may also want to change the patch from polyphonic to solo, too.

Once you do that, it will work for you as well as in the demos.If you don't set the pitch bend per the instructions, you'll think you got a defective unit- fire up your synth editor before you even try it :)

The latency is inherent in pitch to midi conversion- there's no way around that. Their specs indicate 15ms to 30ms, depending on the input pitch. It does as well as the other pitch to midi products. There's slightly less latency with Roland GR products because they don't convert to MIDI internally.

Like the other posters, I've owned just about every guitar synth on the market. I bought this to see if I could use it live with all my guitars that don't have a synth pickup.

For me that ability more than offsets the monophonic limitation. Only being able to play one note at a time doesn't seem to bother sax players :)

11. strata189

strata189 Member

I have an Analog Solutions "Red Square" monosynth... could be what I've been lookin for. 'Specially with an ABY.

Randall

12. pedalfreek

pedalfreek Member

Looks like a great device!!

Could be very useful as a studio tool to use with soft synths, etc....

I know my way around the guitar a littttle better than the piano, so.....i'm intrigued.

How much do they go for?

13. paults

paults Member

They are $99 at the major online retailers.

14. Sir Enoch II

Sir Enoch II Member

Hello,

I don't know much at all about MIDI devices, but I do use a Roland VG-99 and GR-33 with my 13 pin Brian Moore guitars. My question is: Can one plug any guitar into a Sonuus G2M and then somehow to a Roland GR-33 or VG-99 and make use of the resident patches of those devices? If not then what about plugging into GarageBand on an iMac and then feeding audio back out from iMac to an amplifier?

Thanks in advance,

Sir Enoch II

15. mustangman

mustangman Member

yes you would be able to plug it in to the Roland and get the patches with any guitar, i have a friend that recently tried this. and in order to go into garageband on a Mac, you would need a Midi interface of some sort.

16. Sir Enoch II

Sir Enoch II Member

Thanks Mustangman,

By any chance could you ask your friend if he plugged it into the "out" or "in" MIDI jack? and was he plugging it into the VG-99 or the GR-33 or the foot controller to the VG-99 (FC-300) which for some reason also has MIDI in and out on the back of it. I don't mean to be asking so much here, but I just don't want any fried Roland boards.

Thanks in advance,

Sir Enoch II

17. mustangman

mustangman Member

you wont fry your board either way, the midi just wont go through. but anyway, i'm pretty sure he has the foot controlled version. so the Sonuus has a midi out on it, so you would go midi out from the Sonuus into the midi in on the Roland. midi sort of works just like hooking up guitar pedals out to in... except theres some times a thru. which is just a copy of the in.

18. Sir Enoch II

Sir Enoch II Member

Doesn't work either way.

Sir Enoch

19. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Is this capable of tracking bass guitar?