• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NAMM 2009 Fail

rwe333

No big deal... No one died... Just a kid... Lesson learned by all involved, likely...

Kappy

This thread is an original post FAIL, since that's been posted at least 2-3 times already.

Kappy

No worries...I thought the first time I saw it was enough, but people keep dropping it in threads without explaining what it is, so I've seen it twice now and it's starting to hurt, bad! ;)

hawkeye17

No worries...I thought the first time I saw it was enough, but people keep dropping it in threads without explaining what it is, so I've seen it twice now and it's starting to hurt, bad! ;)
Yeah I saw it once in another thread but this deserved it's own thread, although I should apologize in advance for the trauma it could cause. I think he's demonstrating the L Minor scale or the 5th Sign of the Apocalypse....haven't decided which yet :messedup

Pat Healy

I walked by their booth a couple of times and debated whether or not to give them a heads-up about their obvious termite problem.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
I guess it gives some of us pleasure and comfort to be able to mull over how awful they perceive this young musician to be. Having seen this same clip posted a number of times now it's led me to wonder what kind of virtuoso playing we would witness by all of the critics talking such delight in slamming this kid. Keep in mind that in order to conduct this experiment properly you would have to be playing unaccompanied, in a similar venue filled with musicians of all calibers.

somedude

I guess it gives some of us pleasure and comfort to be able to mull over how awful they perceive this young musician to be. Having seen this same clip posted a number of times now it's led me to wonder what kind of virtuoso playing we would witness by all of the critics talking such delight in slamming this kid. Keep in mind that in order to conduct this experiment properly you would have to be playing unaccompanied, in a similar venue filled with musicians of all calibers.
Whether or not the critics can play or not doesn't make this kid any better.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Whether or not the critics can play or not doesn't make this kid any better.
So let's delight in ripping him to shreds on the internet? I'm just being unrealisitic I guess. Carry on, in fact I'll join the club. Boy is that kid awful, what a disgrace! He should be embarrassed for the rest of his life and we can only hope that he quits playing the guitar asap, the dream is over. Why would any company allow a talentless hack play at their booth? What a joke.

rhinocaster

Silver Supporting Member
So let's delight in ripping him to shreds on the internet? I'm just being unrealisitic I guess. Carry on, in fact I'll join the club. Boy is that kid awful, what a disgrace! He should be embarrassed for the rest of his life and we can only hope that he quits playing the guitar asap, the dream is over. Why would any company allow a talentless hack play at their booth? What a joke.
Well, to be fair, we're talking about someone demoing gear at the largest music industry gathering in the world. It's not like someone posted a random bar gig.

It IS shocking.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Well, to be fair, we're talking about someone demoing gear at the largest music industry gathering in the world. It's not like someone posted a random bar gig.

It IS shocking.
I officially take it all back. Just a moment of self righteousness on my part.

rhinocaster

Silver Supporting Member
I officially take it all back. Just a moment of self righteousness on my part.
I hear you. It's not a nice thing to make fun of anyone. This one is just a bit bizarre. Why put someone with that ability in that position? Besides the inevitable ridicule, how can this be good for business?

somedude

Just to put things into perspective, this is off his webpage;

Currently, I play bass in the band Spektra and have acquired an endorsement deal with Minarik guitars from Glendale. I also endorse the Brazen Dynasty guitar and the Mono M80 guitar case as well as the Wedgie guitar pick holder and Full On Clothing and the Rock Jimmy. I am also endorsed by SPG Guitars, Tregan Guitars, Stagg Guitars, In Tune Guitar picks, Attitude Ink, American Drag Seats, Level 27 Clothing, Ad Astra Clothing and Hellrazor Couture. I also exclusively use Sfarzo Strings. I am always looking for other endorsements from companies that I use and enjoy. I am looking forward to a possible career as a musician to continue with my passion.
If it was some random dude/kid posting his playing on the net I'd tend to think the same as you. However, this is NAMM.... which makes this a giant case of WTF were they thinking.

OldSchool

LOL! Jokes on You! We were just making fun of the way he's dressed............

You ought to be ashamed of yourself! :tapedshut

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
LOL! Jokes on You! We were just making fun of the way he's dressed............

You ought to be ashamed of yourself! :tapedshut
LOL!!

I've been over the top. I've dealt with extreme insecurity and lack of confidence in my own playing. I'm not always the nicest person although I do make an effort these days. I'm sure if I had seen this at NAMM I would have been snickering or making a derogatory comment to friend or whatever which is completely hypocritical. Being an overly sensitive type myself I just empathized with the kid's feelings as he's bound to see the You Tube clip which is titled "Horrible Guitar Playing At NAMM 2009". It was the multiple posts about this here at the TGP that triggered my outburst. I have a knee jerk response to want to stick up for people I feel are being picked on. It's got me in trouble before. I'm not the moral authority so please accept my apology for my self righteous posts. :tapedshut

hawkeye17

You're missing the point I was trying to make. The point is that someone at that company thought it was a good idea to put that kid on stage at NAMM to rep their products. Would you put that on stage to show off your livelihood??? I didn't think so......

You go on any stage then be ready to deal with criticism...kid or no kid. And how much do you think he's getting paid?? Even if it's only free gear, it's exposure...and bad exposure at that. I don't feel sorry for him because if he's going to be a working musician he should at the very least be able to play in something musical. If the kid is smart, and I hope he is, then he should take this criticism in stride and go take some damn lessons. Who knows, in 10 years he could be the next Mick Mars!!!

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
i thought he sounded fine. Lots of sour grapes armchair quarterbacks on these forums.

Trending Topics