NAMM 2012: No replacement for the 11 Rack?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by EL34, Jan 22, 2012.

1. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

Is Avid resting on its laurels...no replacement/evolution of 11 Rack?

2. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Maybe they saw the user tantrums that happened when Fractal replaced the Axe-FX Standard/Ultra with the Axe-FX II, and they got scared...? :huh ;)

3. blewis

blewis Member

n.o.t.h.i.n.g.

4. jdolll

jdolll Supporting Member

Wahhhh.

5. drock2k1

drock2k1 Member

This would be a little different than the FX2 replacing the fairly new Ultra. I was very disappointed of no new 11R news. Its a shame that such a great piece of equipment is in the hands of a company that doesn't know what to do with it.

6. Chadley

Chadley Member

Why mess with it? Totally rocking sound quality and feature set at an exceptional price. I would bet they are selling like crazy since they began bundling the expansion pack and PT10 with them.

7. eman22

eman22 Member

it would be nice if they made ANOTHER expansion pack

8. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

There's absolutely no competition in the 11Rack's class, so it doesn't surprise me at all that
    Avid hasn't done anything with it. Why make your product more competitive if there's no competition?
    -
    Austin

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  9. mpr

mpr Member

Isn't it a little too new anyway?

10. richpjr

richpjr Member

That's true - the "tweener" class between the HD500's and the Axes is pretty empty aside from the 11R.

11. hearmecrybaby

hearmecrybaby Senior Member

i'm surprised they haven't released a more palatable form factor. Line 6 sells way more beans and floorboards than rack units.

even for people who like rack units, there are those of us who are not into the whole protools scheme and who don't need another interface. The interface functionality and the protools license add hundreds to the price of the unit.

i understand they might be hooked on the protools thing in order to basically get guitarists trapped in the protools ecosystem, but i still think they should offer a scaled back version that would work with more people's setups.

12. richpjr

richpjr Member

I refuse to get trapped into the PT world - especially with the $500 upgrade price for those of us who bought them more than a few months ago. And since I can't use it on Lion, I'm getting close to selling it and moving onto something else. But the lack of a stand alone editor and the exorbitant upgrade price is well vented about.

13. randombastage

randombastage Member

It rules the spot just above the PodHD on up into AxeFx territory at a great price:quality ratio. No need to replace it unless they come up with some better tech that takes it clearly above the AxeII. And if they do that it won't be a replacement but whole new product that surely will come with a higher price tag to match...

What they could do is introduce a solid floorboard version of the ElevenRack......the 'ElevenStomp' (or something along those lines) and they would sell a bunch without having to do anything other than design the board to stuff the bits in!
    That would be great.

14. Chadley

Chadley Member

I use PTLE8 in Lion all the time. Is there something I am unaware of?

15. lenster

lenster Member

THIS

16. Guitar Vilain

Guitar Vilain Member

Yep, me too. All it took for me was reinstalling the drivers, going to the disk utility and running "restore permissions". Anyway I'd love to see another expansion pack, but the fact that it wasn't even announced at NAMM means that either:

- Avid has halted development of anything 11R or

- They're working on the 11R replacement and it wasn't ready yet

There's also the possibility that timing simply wasn't right since they'd just changed the 11R bundle from 11R + PTLE8 to 11R + ERXP + PT10 and they want to wait for a while before releasing anything new for it.

17. drock2k1

drock2k1 Member

I don't think that there needs to be an upgraded version of the 11R. A new patch with a couple more effects, fix the tap tempo warble issue, and for the love of all that is good and decent put it on the floor. I absolutely loved my 11R, but I'm done lugging rack gear to church every week. The thing is crazy good and I don't think that people give it a fair shake...but if they made a floor version...I can dream at least.

18. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I'm not a huge "ugrade-er", to me the original 11R with whatever PT I run works great. I have no need to do updates/patches etc etc. Sure I might not have the latest greatest in whatever but it's a great sound unit that works great for my studio tones as well as my PT interface.

19. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

I think many are missing something here. The 11r is not Avid's core competency. The sales from that are probably overshadowed many, many times over by their ProTools software and plug-ins. It's already a solid, well-performing product and I would be very surprised to see significant updates year after year.

20. TheJudge

TheJudge Member

You know, i used to get upset with Marshall when I could not get an upgraded 2203 JMP! :p

Seriously, the 11R is an awesome product as it is. I don't currently need an upgrade since it delivers the tones and flexibility I need. Would it be nice to have user uploaded IRs? Sure. Do I need it? No. Would it be nice to have a stand alone editor? Sure. Do I need it? Not as a Pro Tools user.

My perception is that there is a significant population of people who upgrade just to upgrade, and if they were to sit down and analyze what their true needs are, they might not be in such a rush to upgrade and might save themselves a ton of money too.

How many musicians are making amazing music using the most rudimentary tools? A lot I would imagine!

I spent some time with my 11R last night dialing in a 1979 Marshall JMP 2203 sound, and I was just blown away with the results. The sound coming through my headphones took me back to a time when I owned multiple Marshall heads and cabinets that took up the better part of a spare bedroom!

In my humble opinion, no upgrade necessary.