• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NAMM 2013 Rumors?

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
I think lot's on manufactures will be there. At least that's a rumor I heard.

John Backlund

I think I heard from a reasonably reliable source that a couple of guys from J. Backlund Design will be at winter NAMM with their first really affordable Korean-built Retronix R-800 six string and bass models, plus some of the U.S. built JBD guitars.

:band

OP - The new standard SG now looks like the 61RI (small guard), and they are coming out with a standard with maestro. I think they are calling it "The Original."

OK, what's up with the surf green Strat? I'm a sucker for a '70s headstock.

pharmacybear

I'm glad this thread got cookin!

OP - The new standard SG now looks like the 61RI (small guard), and they are coming out with a standard with maestro. I think they are calling it "The Original."

OK, what's up with the surf green Strat? I'm a sucker for a '70s headstock.
I did see those. The SG Original looks really great. I was hoping for white though (red is probably my least favorite guitar color). I may just snag the white 61 RI and find a used Maestro to slap on it. Cheating of course.

I know when I worked music retail it seemed like more of the big name companies were getting harder to convince to come to NAMM. I know TONS of pedal companies head out there to showcase their lineup. It's much easier to show up with a suitcase full of pedals though, than it is to bring 30 new guitars or amps. I do feel like many of the companies "blow their wad" a little early and release stuff a month too soon. I suppose it gets everyone drooling over their stuff before everyone else releases new items.

Ah, I just looked up "The Original" and it is only red. I had been looking at the new standards and saw that it came in white, so I must have thought The Original came in white as well.

I'm sure the reason they release some things earlier is to get the retailers excited before hand. That way they have incentive to visit that vender.

Simto

Fano guitars are showing their new GF6 and GF4 model. Looks like a cross between a Starcaster and a Les Paul signature, looks pretty sweet.

fisticuffs

Rumors? I expect some AVRI basses to go along with the guitars. I've signed a couple NDA's for some live sound stuff... nothing on guitars that isn't widely known. Got some good day 1 appointments though. Korg (Vox), Kemper, KMC (Tak, Genz, Charvel, Gretchs drums), Moog, Marshall... Sandberg guitars.. Pretty great basses anyone play a 6-string Sandberg?

pharmacybear

I almost guarantee a few new Fender AVRI models, 2-3 artist models, and probably an expansion or revision of the Blacktop stuff.

For me the the biggest fact about NAMM is that after years of lusting for it, I am finally getting to go!
Not sure what to expect, but I know I won't be disappointed.

Question: I attend a lot of trade shows in my wife's industry, and if you are there on the last day it is possible to score a lot of sample items that the vendors just don't want to ship back.
Does that ever apply at NAMM? I can only go on either Sat or Sun, so I am thinking about Sunday.

Last edited:

Stringrazor

Saturday is traditionally the most crowded day but there are still lots of endorsing artists performing, less so on Sunday. Exhibitors are always selling small stuff but I think Sunday deals on guitars and amps are fairly rare. I'm pretty sure NAMM discourages it but you can always try if you're a good talker.

pharmacybear

For me the the biggest fact about NAMM is that after years of lusting for it, I am finally getting to go!
Not sure what to expect, but I know I won't be disappointed.

Question: I attend a lot of trade shows in my wife's industry, and if you are there on the last day it is possible to score a lot of sample items that the vendors just don't want to ship back.
Does that ever apply at NAMM? I can only go on either Sat or Sun, so I am thinking about Sunday.
From what I understand after talking about it quite a bit with my old boss, is yes and no. Some of the limited models and things like such you can buy right there. You can't take them home with you of course (maybe a guitar, you can't really fly an amp home). If you sign or renew a contract as a dealer of something they're more prone to sell you something.

He bought a lot of cool stuff from the NAMM show, but the only ones I ever saw him walk away from the actual show with were a couple Fender Custom Shops and a handful of FX pedals.

dallasblues

My guess is that there'll be lots of high quality tribute-replicas, by outstanding luthiers, of whom I've never heard of, sporting a brand name I've never heard of, that'll likely not be found at any store within a 500 mile radius from where I live, with a price-point that is roughly the same as the original version would cost. And I'll no doubt read countless rave reviews and threads on the gear page by guys who swear by the stellar craftsmanship of these instruments and make me feel inferior because of the Fenders and Gibsons I play.

sloanthebone

Silver Supporting Member
My guess is that there'll be lots of high quality tribute-replicas, by outstanding luthiers, of whom I've never heard of, sporting a brand name I've never heard of, that'll likely not be found at any store within a 500 mile radius from where I live, with a price-point that is roughly the same as the original version would cost. And I'll no doubt read countless rave reviews and threads on the gear page by guys who swear by the stellar craftsmanship of these instruments and make me feel inferior because of the Fenders and Gibsons I play.
Well said!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom