NAMM 2014 Gibson Memphis ES-335 Studio?

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
Hi, Can't seem to find much info on the new Gibson Memphis ES-335 (Sunburst) Studio model. TGP member Kracdown commented briefly on it in another thread. Anyone else play one or know any more details?

Thanks in advance!

Gearaddict

If it's like last years version, it's a stripped down 335 with one dirtyfingers humbucker. Sorry, not for me.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
This one looked to be fairly normal, Sunburst finish,Chrome humbuckers, Schaller type of tuners,but no binding on body or neck.

kracdown

Custom User Title
Platinum Supporting Member
If it's like last years version, it's a stripped down 335 with one dirtyfingers humbucker. Sorry, not for me.
Nope completely different. It's a barebones ES-335 with no binding... Same construction with a plate in back for easy electronics switching. Had a 50's neck, and I think '57 classics but don't quote me on that. Single Volume and tone layout with Grover tunners. No MOP on the headstock:

I took this picture.

still.ill

Nope completely different. It's a barebones ES-335 with no binding... Same construction with a plate in back for easy electronics switching. Had a 50's neck, and I think '57 classics but don't quote me on that. Single Volume and tone layout with Grover tunners. No MOP on the headstock:

I took this picture.
Damn that is interesting. Yeah I hated last years 335 studio, ugly, only 1 pickup????

This seems to be more similar to how the Les Paul Studios are presented, though for some reason the lack of binding stands out for me more on the 335. It sorta looks wrong with only 1 volume/1 tone, ....

I foresee many threads about this guitar once people start getting their hands on it

kracdown

Custom User Title
Damn that is interesting. Yeah I hated last years 335 studio, ugly, only 1 pickup????

This seems to be more similar to how the Les Paul Studios are presented, though for some reason the lack of binding stands out for me more on the 335.
I think it suites the ES-335 way more than the Les Paul. Definitely felt like a high quality instrument.

Jamar

Silver Supporting Member
Gibson brass is so out of touch with their client base.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks again Kracdown! Just 2 more ?'s if you don't mind. When you say 50's neck, like CS Historic 50's >.90-1.0 or Gibson USA 50's>.840.930 ? Also you mentioned it had a MAP of $1300.00 ? Thanks so much, as usual Gibson doesn't seem to have any info when you contact them, LOL!

TresGatos

Gibson brass is so out of touch with their client base.
yet all their cheap models fly off the shelves in my area and the TGP corksniff spec ones sit on the wall for a few years until discounted to buddies of store employees.

I think Gibson has a few client bases that they target, incredibly some may not even come to TGP to be told what to buy.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
Zakko, that's what I've been looking for Gibson to make at a reasonable $ point! My one wish is that probably won't happen though, is the neck angle to the body is not too steep. Just like on the CS Historic line for the most part!

kracdown

Custom User Title
Thanks again Kracdown! Just 2 more ?'s if you don't mind. When you say 50's neck, like CS Historic 50's >.90-1.0 or Gibson USA 50's>.840.930 ? Also you mentioned it had a MAP of $1300.00 ? Thanks so much, as usual Gibson doesn't seem to have any info when you contact them, LOL!
Felt like Custom shop to me, but more like a '59 than an '54 reissue.

The people at Gibson did indeed say they'd be around $1,300.

ZZ Not

Kind of reminds me of the ES-333 from about ten years ago which were a great value for the money.

I am trying to find some info on the ES-225TD reissue that I caught glimpses of in some NAMM photos. Anybody know anything about these?

EunosFD

Very interesting looking model & nice price too. I dig the stripped down vibe of it and am glad it has the 50's neck. I def want to check this one out.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
I believe Kracdown said it was going for $1300.00 street or there abouts.
Kracdown thanks for all the info!

Trending Topics