NAMM 2017: Is Yamaha going to fire back?

DGA

I think most would agree that Yamaha dropped the ball with the THR100. I'm sure it's a fine amp, but not what THR-10 enthusiasts were looking for.

In the meantime, Boss and Line6 have released a new generation of low cost modeling combos. I know Yamaha owns Line6, but I'd still like to see a THR combo with more power.

I'm really itching to pull the trigger on a Katana 100, but if Yamaha is going to drop a new THR, I'd like to see how it stacks up before doing so.

Al Varez

They dropped the ball with their THR10 amps too. I'd rather a new THR that sounds better. Yamaha has adopted an idiotic product model and they'll probably continue it. With their THR amps, you had to buy a whole new amp if you wanted one of the other amp models not included in yours. They couldn't just make one amp and include all the amp models in it. They did the same thing with their Reface keyboards. If you want an organ sound you have to buy one Reface keyboard. If you want a synth sound you need to buy a different Reface keyboard.

I think most would agree that Yamaha dropped the ball with the THR100. I'm sure it's a fine amp, but not what THR-10 enthusiasts were looking for.
I'm not sure I'd agree, and I also have a THR10. Sure, it would be nice to be able to get the crunch channel into the mix, but with a pedal in the clean, I pretty much get a third sound. (I have the dual head).

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
Yea, I'm looking forward to anything they offer BUT... it is precisely because they did such a great job with the THR10 AND THR100HD that they have my attention.
I see no balls dropped on their part simply a chance to knock a third ball over the fence....

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I'd love to see an improved and expanded range of THR amps. Great concept but some easily correctable flaws, and they didn't really scale up well.

jageya

They dropped the ball with their THR10 amps too. I'd rather a new THR that sounds better. Yamaha has adopted an idiotic product model and they'll probably continue it. With their THR amps, you had to buy a whole new amp if you wanted one of the other amp models not included in yours. They couldn't just make one amp and include all the amp models in it. They did the same thing with their Reface keyboards. If you want an organ sound you have to buy one Reface keyboard. If you want a synth sound you need to buy a different Reface keyboard.
chachinggggggggggggggggggggggg..thats how many do it.

MusicLaw

Double Platinum Member
We'll know next week if there are any new product announcements. I'm delighted with the THR10C, for precisely what it offers in its size, class, catergory, and there are a couple of really good Android Apps to interface with it, aside from Yamaha's software.

jageya

i wonder if now that yamaha owns line 6 if there will be any "rules" between the 2 to not make competing products that will hinder new or similar products. I think korg for some reason dumbed down its modeling tech after the vtx150 amps maybe because of other companies under their blanket having competing type amps...i may be way wrong but just my guess.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
We are still waiting for the big Yamaha+Line6 killer thing to be announced.

thrashmetl

I used to think an expanded THR range with bigger speakers/a bigger speaker and higher wattage would be what I wanted, but as a pretty much exclusively bedroom player, the 10 has more than enough volume for me. I wouldn't mind an expanded range of amp options and the ability to save more than 5 presets. Would really really love a tweed deluxe.

thrashmetl

By the way, I'll be there Thursday and report back. If they do release something new in this line I'll be all over it.

gazzy_burns

I doubt Yamaha can compete with the Boss Katana line now...purely because they are insanely good value, can be low volume, are more than capable of being super loud, and sound great!

crispsandwich

I think most would agree that Yamaha dropped the ball with the THR100.

I don't agree at all, I own a THR100HD and it is the best amp I've ever played. Yes, presets would be nice but I'm generally a plug and play person and so it suits me perfectly. It sounds and feels as good as a great valve amp, and is stupidly easy to record with.

Axeplyr

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't agree at all, I own a THR100HD and it is the best amp I've ever played. Yes, presets would be nice but I'm generally a plug and play person and so it suits me perfectly. It sounds and feels as good as a great valve amp, and is stupidly easy to record with.

Agree. I hear people bash this amp and don't get it. I love it, it's truly a phenomenal amp with a great feature set. But apparently if it doesn't fit the 2000 presets for $200 model, it's an abject failure.

Just because you're not the audience for the product doesn't mean there is no audience.

Agree. I hear people bash this amp and don't get it. I love it, it's truly a phenomenal amp with a great feature set. But apparently if it doesn't fit the 2000 presets for $200 model, it's an abject failure.

Just because you're not the audience for the product doesn't mean there is no audience.

I agree... I had a THR100HD for a short period. I liked it, liked it a lot... but, I didn't like for $750. To me, it wasn't quite that nice sounding (I have other high end amps for very close to that price point). If I could get a THR100HD for $350 or so used, to me that's what I had in mind for what it did. Obviously, this is purely my own financial prerogative..

All that being said - I don't really expect that HUGE Line6/Yamaha product anytime soon, nor do I expect them to drop a new THR product at NAMM. I'd love it if they did -- but, seems like both companies have been operating on their own release dates with recent products (as opposed to being a slave to the NAMM press date like days of yore).

DGA

I doubt Yamaha can compete with the Boss Katana line now...purely because they are insanely good value, can be low volume, are more than capable of being super loud, and sound great!

I ended up jumping on that 20% MF discount and ordered the 100 1x12 and a GA-FC.

Reactions: rsm

jageya

but not stereo.....not a deal breaker for most but the thr10 is just ripe to grow up in same form factor but more wattage and larger speakers...remain stereo and even double the presets...add stereo effects loop and incorperate all the thr models from thr10/10c and 10x..

Trending Topics

Top Bottom