NAMM 2020 Music Man Sabre guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Billy Moss, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Defendant

Defendant Member

For me it’s all about filling my hand out in the lower positions -helps with playing comfort. Up high I don’t prefer it to be hugely big -just a bit, as my hand position is different and likelihood of having to hold a chord for a period of time is less.

Part of the frustration with EBMM is they build just as good as Suhr and Anderson but never offer the same range of options. Which is their prerogative of course.

I’m a huge 1 5/8 fan as my favorite necks of all time are 70s fenders on the chunky U side.

2. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Silver Supporting Member

So what finish are you guys favorite? I’m thinking either Boujee or Cobra.

3. R.C.Moran

R.C.Moran Silver Supporting Member

I fell for the Blue Moonstone, but part of me really wants that Honeysuckle, it’s just so clean and classy looking.

I’ll echo the earlier comment that I wish there were more customization options, there’s a couple of other finishes I’d prefer, but the EBMM guitars are by far some of the best I’ve played, so I can deal with it.

4. kselbee

kselbee Member

I do really dig these and would like to try one. I'm liking the Cobra and Moonstone. I do kinda wish there were HSS options though.

5. jmontgomery

I can’t help but think there will be a HSS option if these are successful.

6. R.C.Moran

I’d agree, I’m also curious if what BFRs they’ll bring out for these if they do well.

7. John C

John C Supporting Member

I suspect the release date has been delayed - I'm sure they're on shutdown like all of CA. They were supposed to be released in April.

But I agree that these should take off pretty well - I don't know if they will do an HSS, but I'm sure there will be some interesting BFR versions in the future.

8. John C

John C Supporting Member

9. poppunk

poppunk Member

I am so glad that the instruments I like that are made by EBMM are the "low end ones" like StingRay guitars. I understand why the prices on the Sabre are close to some of the Majesty models, but those are just out of my willingness to pay range.

10. megaboogie

megaboogie Member

I love the honey suckle finish.

[​IMG]

Looks like AMS and Sweetwater have them in stock now.

11. jmontgomery

The Boujee burst is calling my name.

12. BuckshotJenkins

BuckshotJenkins Silver Supporting Member

It’s probably won’t, but I hope the wider nut of the Sabre migrates to other models. It was the sticking point for me in multiple other amazing guitars they make.

cutaway likes this.
  13. R.C.Moran

Received my Sabre, had a couple of minutes to look it over and plug it in. My initial reactions are that it is a stunning guitar (I'm very happy with the blue moonstone finish), and it sounds and feels like a premium guitar should. Music man advertised clarity in the pickups and with the thicker maple top, and I will say the clarity is there. It definitely sounds more modern than vintage, in which the only thing I never really paid attention to is that the Trem wasn't floating. I don't know why, maybe it was just a bad assumption (my only other music man is a JP15), but with the more modern appointments and sounds i kinda figured it would have had a floating trem system. I'm definitely looking forward to the coming days and spending more time with it, and I think anyone else who's gone ahead and ordered one won't be disappointed at all!

cutaway, John C and BuckshotJenkins like this.
  14. John C

John C Supporting Member

Nice!

Most EBMMs are set up without a floating trem - the exceptions being the JP models (which are routed under the trem), the Luke models (the old Luke with the Floyd was routed underneath; the later models with the vintage trem are floated like a vintage Strat) and the Morse models with the optional Floyd trem (also routed under the trem now; originally they were flat-mounted like the Floyd on the Axis/EVH).

R.C.Moran likes this.
  15. jmontgomery

Let’s hear some reviews from those of you who have tried one.

16. Always-Ben

Always-Ben Supporting Member

How are the clean sounds on it?

17. R.C.Moran

Quite lovely and very balanced. I actually agree with some of the videos I saw from NAMM where they talk about the clarity, it’s actually not an exaggeration, it’s still a warm HB tone but not muddy at all, and still fairly snappy.

18. Always-Ben

Always-Ben Supporting Member

cool! What’s the neck thickness like?

19. jmontgomery

I am going to get one as soon as I decide which finish I want.
    I’m still trying to make up my mind between the honeysuckle, the cobra or the boujee burst.

20. R.C.Moran

Somewhat similar to my JP15, a bit wider and thinner than the strat I have. It’s fairly comfortable, Not too thick not too thin, almost like a slightly thicker Ibanez wizard type neck. I also personally like the slightly wider necks as opposed to a thinner vintage.

glockaxis likes this.