NAMM 2022, Anaheim June 3-5: Where are the Big Name Companies?

avs3259

Regarding NAMM 2022 in Anaheim, June 3-5: I've been on the NAMM website looking at the exhibitors. It isn't a list- you put in a name and it tells you if that name will be there. Plugging in Fender, Marshall, Roland, Gibson, etc. returns "not found". It would appear that some of the biggest names in the industry won't be there. Is this actually the case or am I using their website incorrectly?

dzeitlin

i don't think it will be a bust, i just think it is going in a new direction and might take a couple of years to take hold

Fuchsaudio

i don't think it will be a bust, i just think it is going in a new direction and might take a couple of years to take hold
When you consider that many big names (some of which are not far from the show) are not going, and many smaller companies aren't going to bother either, I'm not optimistic. We went from a potential "booth share" to a possible "stop in on the way to a Mexican vacation", and to a "we'll pass".

RG7X

Oh, wow... Well, sounds like they're off to a great start. "Due to the pandemic, we can no longer list. Type in a brand and we'll provide you with a clue on if they'll be there or not".

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
Regarding NAMM 2022 in Anaheim, June 3-5: I've been on the NAMM website looking at the exhibitors. It isn't a list- you put in a name and it tells you if that name will be there. Plugging in Fender, Marshall, Roland, Gibson, etc. returns "not found". It would appear that some of the biggest names in the industry won't be there. Is this actually the case or am I using their website incorrectly?
I see it as a trend - the way things are moving - I predicted this a few years ago - Because of immediate nature of the internet the bigger companies don't need the big reveal - don't need to roll out products at one time - and the money spent on a Tradeshow isn't coming back to the
companies.

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
I had heard that none of the big names were going to be there this year.

I don't understand why they're having it in Anaheim in June. They should have just done Summer NAMM like they usually do and gone back to Anaheim in January.

Jim Soloway

The trade show industry has been in decline for a long time (as noted because of the internet). Add to that the chaos and cancelled shows created by Covid and it gets a lot worse. Now add the huge spike in the cost of fuel and what that does to the cost of shipping a booth across country and you now have a rising cost for a falling return. There may some new paradigm that works but I don't think we're ever going to see the return of the large scale commercial exhibition industry ... especially one like NAMM that's designed to be business to business with no retail sales.

jkr

Silver Supporting Member
When many Southern California based manufacturers are sitting this one out (ie..Fender, Roland/Boss, Boutique Amp Dist, Strymon, etc..), it's no wonder other manufacturers from around the country, let alone the world, are not showing. I usually spend 2 1/2 to 3 days hitting all the NAMM exhibitors I want to see. After doing a search on the NAMM website for the "fretted" related exhibitors, which includes guitars, amps, pedals, and other fretted instrument related products, I get the feeling this will be a 1-day NAMM for me for the first time in 27 years of going. I'm hoping for the best since I want to see NAMM prosper but with such a scaled-back exhibitor list, it definitely has me concerned.

jmoose

When you consider that many big names (some of which are not far from the show) are not going, and many smaller companies aren't going to bother either, I'm not optimistic. We went from a potential "booth share" to a possible "stop in on the way to a Mexican vacation", and to a "we'll pass".

I've heard the same from many on the audio/recording side. Much debate to end up saying nah not this time. Right now some are eyeing the AES show which is scheduled for the Javits in October, wondering if it'll be worth the trip to NYC.

Seems the real reason attendance is down can be summed up with one word - Backorders.

One of the largest independent music stores in northern NJ is about 10 minutes away from my studio... they're not going. No reason. Nearly every single line they carry is crunched with year long backorders. Pick one... Yamaha, Fender, PRS, Martin, Roland, Focusrite, DW...

Last NAMM show they attended was January 2020 and they didn't get even half of what they ordered. Manager said the one good thing about the whole supply chain thing is those big fish... Gibson, Fender etc aren't bugging them for $100k orders because they can't guarantee delivery.

Jaeson

I'm fairly certain Marshall will be there since that is how I got my ticket, one of the exhibitors.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
I didn’t see Marshall Amps on any of the levels. Engle had a nice display as well as a few boutique builders (and digital/solid state) but I know some big Sponsors were able to provide tickets but they were not exhibiting or they were in these 10’x10’ cubicles meeting with retailers. Gibson nor Fender are here but they’re major sponsors too.

Anyway the show certainly is not like it was back in 2020 but if you like Acoustics the Martin & Taylor areas were awesome.

Jim Soloway

I'm watching a video from the Nord booth right now. The music is absolutely brilliant: two keyboards, bass and electronic drums and great players all around for a company the REALLY knows how to do this sort of thing. It's the sort of thing that at past NAMM shows would usually have a huge crowd gathering around and there's just a handful of folks standing around the booth with even fewer walking by. I know it's a very small sample but it's definitely not a good look for NAMM.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
I'm watching a video from the Nord booth right now. The music is absolutely brilliant: two keyboards, bass and electronic drums and great players all around for a company the REALLY knows how to do this sort of thing. It's the sort of thing that at past NAMM shows would usually have a huge crowd gathering around and there's just a handful of folks standing around the booth with even fewer walking by. I know it's a very small sample but it's definitely not a good look for NAMM.
In fairness to NAMM, I think after a two year absence that it’s going to take folks time to want to participate in the convention again and (and this is a big AND) a lot of folks are not going to pony up for the huge increase in ticket prices. The $850 price tag is going to keep some folks far away.

But from an attendee standpoint, it’s been great to be able to get up close and personal with so many of the wonderful musicians, builders and be able to demo some amazing gear without the past hassles of either waiting for quite a bit or not having the same access.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that from retailers to media and attendees, everyone has been cordial or straight up extremely nice. It’s a nice change from the past cattle herding atmosphere I’ve encountered in the past. YMMV.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
And here’s the Engle amp listening stations and a shot of this morning’s crowd. Saturday is definitely busier than yesterday.
FFD9F9F7-9BF2-4B3D-B648-746833499DBD.jpeg

Attachments

• BD3EE492-9D9A-4BB1-BDD0-B99AE3244ACA.jpeg
    BD3EE492-9D9A-4BB1-BDD0-B99AE3244ACA.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 13

John Hurtt

Platinum Supporting Member
In fairness to NAMM, I think after a two year absence that it’s going to take folks time to want to participate in the convention again and (and this is a big AND) a lot of folks are not going to pony up for the huge increase in ticket prices. The $850 price tag is going to keep some folks far away.

But from an attendee standpoint, it’s been great to be able to get up close and personal with so many of the wonderful musicians, builders and be able to demo some amazing gear without the past hassles of either waiting for quite a bit or not having the same access.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that from retailers to media and attendees, everyone has been cordial or straight up extremely nice. It’s a nice change from the past cattle herding atmosphere I’ve encountered in the past. YMMV.
$850 ticket? I've gone to NAMM for about 20 years, always due to the kindness and generosity of a few very good friends that are NAMM members. This year I received an email from NAMM saying that since I've attended in the past I can join NAMM for $49 and it includes a pass to the convention.

Jim Soloway

I think I'd actually have enjoyed it this year (just like I always preferred the first two day over the weekend) but there are just a lot of forces working against all trade shows and the decline has been underway for a long time. It's much easier for buyers to find what they're looking for without having to go to a show. Not only is everything online with full details but because of Covid, most people have gotten into doing remote meetings as well. Travel is much more expensive, especially for booths and goods and really tough to justify if it's not essential. Plus ever increasing concentration in the retail industry means that there are more and more outlets represented by fewer and fewer buyers. Even if you overlook the admission price, that's a lot of headwind of change to have to overcome. I don't think there's been a COMDEX show for over 15 years so itès really impressive to me that NAMM managed to hang in for as long as it did.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Thought I’d post an example of the Booth Vendors. Here’s Orange Amps & Seymour Duncan as an example:

Attachments

• 4453E5AF-B544-434A-9D77-77762BFA04FA.jpeg
    4453E5AF-B544-434A-9D77-77762BFA04FA.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 36
  • C1A0D1B7-5C8F-4159-BC96-53CB884ABE82.jpeg
    C1A0D1B7-5C8F-4159-BC96-53CB884ABE82.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 39

Trending Topics

Top Bottom