Namm badge and ID's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 6stringjazz, Jun 18, 2008.

1. 6stringjazz

6stringjazz Supporting Member

I have a chance to go to the Namm show this weekend, but I would have to use a fellow bandmember's badge, as he is not going. Can this be done, or do they check ID's against the name on the badge?

2. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Yeah they are real picky about that...If you dont look like him ( carry his id with you ) then it aint gonna work....

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I'm sorry but you're probably out of luck.

There was a time when badges weren't checked. Seeing names like Jimi Hemdrix, Eric, etc. was quite common. One year we had a badge that said Stu Padasso on it. That one got a few smiles.

Since 9/11 security has become more of a reality.

4. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

Yea you don't want to do that, because your friend could loose his membership to Namm by giving you his badge, by you impersonating him. Plus they could contact Metro PD. Honesty is the best policy!:AOK

5. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Winter Namm was CRAZY with badge checks, everytime you went in our out, SCAN, ID, have a nice day or SECURITY

apparently there was a great deal of Scalping going on
    Fake id's
    and a bunch of people with the same name/badge running around.

pretty hecktic.

6. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

You are exactly right. I was checked 90% of the time, so I would go to the same door so security got to know me and waved me through, but you better have your picture ID on you. Summer Namm will be the same thing because it is smaller and easier to control the access doors.:)

7. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

Winter NAMM was indeed crazy; they were 100% checking in detail. I finally got a friend in who didn't have a pass, but it took an outrageous scheme to do it. Think hot, hot chick on my team who had a pass getting a wardrobe malfunction right in front of security at the perfect time. Gotta love crazy rock and roll women who enjoy messing with the system!

8. 6stringjazz

6stringjazz Supporting Member

So I guess there's no way to get a legit badge with my name on it if I'm not a member of Namm? The badge I was going to use was issued by Yamaha to a couple of drummer endorsees with whom I am the guitar player.... sort of an indirect connection but legit none the less.

9. Butterscotch

Butterscotch Member

What the others say. In the last few years they have got pretty hot on this. I too got lots of checks at winter NAMM. If the name on the badge and the ID don't match, I'd say you'd be very unlikely to get in. Sorry.

10. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

Not everyone can get in and that is just the way it is. Just think if it was opened to the public how cheezey the show would be and it would end up a joke. I am glad Namm is tightening up on badges and checking ID's. :dude

11. randy alameda

randy alameda Member

Albuquerque, New Mexico (yes its in the USA)
    :joWas also checked 100% of the time at winter NAMM .... Welcome to post 9-11 USA!!

12. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

you could have problems. They were checking badges and ID's like crazy at winter NAMM.

13. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Sorry, but 9/11 has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with "security" at the NAMM shows.

The NAMM organizers are merely trying to rein in the madness, trying to keep out the people that aren't supposed to be there and return the show to what it's meant for - the industry.

--chiba

14. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

I've been in the retail end going on 25 years and am so glad they are tightening up. Haven't gone to NAMM for several years because of "too much public" getting in and making it harder and harder to do biz. Anyways...could go on a tirade but won't....It's a good thing!!!:AOK

15. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

I'm not endorsing any ill behavior but... you might get away with it at Nashville NAMM. It wouldn't be the first time..you got a NAMM Badge on you and flash your ID & keep going. They ain't gonna arrest ya.

16. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

Speaking of NAMM, does anybody know what's on the agenda as far as guest artists or what some of the highlights will be?

17. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Use finesse, man. I've gotten into Winter NAMM for 3 years straight without a badge. Even this year@Anaheim with the 'heightened security'. While everyone is panicking over the situation, you can either go the Zep route (In Through the Out Door), or, as I did this year, just enter where theres a GLUT of people and only 1 or 2 yellowjackets attempting to keep order.

18. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Agreed w/Chiba - the tightness of NAMM security since the January show has nothing to do with 9/11. The last three or four Anaheim NAMM shows I went to (all post 9/11) were pretty lax. My badge was in my name and matched my ID, so I didn't worry, but I know a lot of people who walked in and around all day with no checks and in one case, no lams.

19. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I've been asked to show ID a couple times in the 8-9 years I've gone to the Winter Namm. But, I watched a buddy of mine (he had a yellow visitor badge) get searched several times while I was passed right along (blue badge).

20. grantbob

grantbob Member

Do you think blue badges get less scrutiny? I friend of mine that owns a music store is going this weekend, but not on Friday. He said I could use his pass for friday. I would love to go and see everything, but don't want any headaches.