NAMM - Mackie Hotwire amp - Any news?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Webfoot, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Does Mackie have a booth and did they bring any of the Hotwire amps? NAMM seems like something they would not want to miss.

Any demos?

2. Flux

Flux Member

BUMP

Inquiring minds want to know....

3. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

A guy was playing it in their booth.

I'm bored of all these modelling amps. They all sound like pods to me. Which is fine for a purpose, but.... ugh. Boring. I don't want to sound like a facsimile
    of a raging awesome guitar tone. I WANT an awesome guitar tone.

Anyway, the Mackie looked like and had similar features to Vox Valvetronix, etc... I listened for 30 seconds and moved on. If I want that kind of volume (low) and versatility I'd way rather use my Badger with some pedals.

Sorry! don't want to be overly ranty-negative.

4. heretic

heretic Member

Wow, wonder what you 'd have said if you had been overly negative! 30 seconds, eh?
    BTW, this is not a modeling amp. I'm glad to know it is at NAMM, and gratefully await any more reports from our fellow TGPers!

5. Flux

Flux Member

Thanks for posting sinasl1 :) Not holding out any false hopes for the Hotwire... but I guess I do want it to work. Niiice features on this amp, looking forward to other independent reviews.
    :munch

6. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I walked by to listen to some guy who was about to demo. The guy started playing and the plastic-like digital high-end hurt my ears. I walked away almost immediately. Maybe it was the way the guy had it set, but it hurt.

7. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

It is essentially a modeling amp with a few preamp tubes to try and warm it up. It is a MOSFET power amp, that Mackie is claiming delivers "classic tube tone." Amps without tubes or hybrid amps rarely deliver "classic tube tone."

The demo's at NAMM did not make the amp sound amazing. It might be a good amp for some players, but it wasn't anything that was an amazing tone amp.

8. Occam

Occam Member

Here's the news...in 10 years from now when you see one buried under a pile of forgotten crate, peavey and kustom amps you'll swear to yourself that you don't recall ever hearing about Mackie making an amp.

9. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

I tried it at the NAMM show and was very dissapointed. I was really looking forward to it being a cool amp after reading about it.

For being 120 watts it wasn't very loud. I'll give it another try when it reaches the music stores.

10. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I went by to check it out twice. No power to the amp, no guitar to try it out with, didn't hear anyone playing it, so it's tough to say yea or nay.

11. Structo

Structo Member

Mackie was sold to Loud Technologies a few years ago.
    I never thought Greg Mackie would sell out but the down trend in sales prompted his action.
    Not sure how much he still has to do with them but this amp sounds like typical large corporate marketing.

12. aortizjr

aortizjr Member

They weren't allowing anyone to try it out. But they did have a guy demoing it. Of course since it is NAMM, you couldn't get it turned up very loud without the sound police coming by.

It isn't a modeling amp per se. The only digital processing is the effects. There are just lots of relays to change the analog circuitry. So the settings essentially rewire the circuit via the relays.

The power amp is a MOSFET power amp.

I spent about 30 minutes there listening to the demo. The guy did mostly blues and soft rock. For that it sounded pretty good at the low volume. I didn't hear any digitalness like the modelers. The biggest thing I noticed from the playing was the response. It responded quickly like a normal amp vs. the bit of delay with modeling amps.

Anyway it is still to early to say yay or nay. I would have to try it out. They really needed a sound booth like many of the amp makers to really get a feel for how it sounds.

13. primerib

primerib Member

Just saw the GW ad of this amp. I was hoping for more glowing reviews of this amp. I need a "grab and go" amp.

14. Latif

Latif Member

Here's what Jason Barker (Steelbender)had to say on his site.

"Steve and other interested parties....today was the day to finally see the Mackie Hotwire in person. One preliminary note: NAMM is one of those places where it's hard to get a complete feel for a product's range of operation. The "NAMM police" routinely walk around with their dB meters and reign in any violators (not likely with a bunch of guitarists huh?).

First of all- the Hotwire is a pretty nice looking little rig to me in person. It is not very large...and weighs practically nothing. The controls are easy to read and laid out in a logical fashion. It's obvious that from an aesthetic perspective, they weren't trying to blatantly copy any other amps from what I can tell.

Now the big thing: the sound. I'm not going to lie...disappointing but not completely surprising under the circumstances. Keep in mind that there's a lot of background roar to compete with, along with thousands of people making noise. It was not a conducive environment to make a completely fair assessment; but the demo employee and I ran the amp on every power setting from lowest to highest and it still was not very loud at peak settings. I never equate loudness automatically with good tone or legitimacy of a product. I was sort of surprised by the lack of punch and fullness when we had it cranked.

As we were being led through the demo phase and then trying it ourselves, an interested player remarked on how noisy the amp was. We were using a generic Fender American Strat with single-coils, which is actually a good thing to explore an amp with. The noise might have been aggravated by all of the lighting and electronics in such close proximity...but regardless, it was indeed a buzzy mess.

Those of you who have followed my opinions for awhile (and that's all they are folks...just another opinion) know that I don't automatically dismiss the practicality of certain solid-state ore even modeling devices. Despite the preamp tube in the Hotwire, it was not fooling me at any setting we tried into thinking it had the same vibe as a typical good tube rig. It had that common "feel" that many other non 100% tube amps have. I don't like to do anybody a disservice by issuing a negative opinion; but I'm being honest. I'd certainly like to hear a Hotwire in a more relaxed environment and where it's not trying to compete with a bunch of other loud devices. Still, it just didn't do it for me, and I REALLY WANTED it to be as spectacular as the ads have been promising. Furthermore, the demo guys couldn't give me a definite answer on when these would be in stores. "

Latif

15. Flux

Flux Member

Thanks for that post Latif. Too bad. I had a feeling it wouldn't live up to the hype. 'If it seems too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true'

16. The Smith

The Smith Supporting Member

Generally, I'd agree. But then I started thinking about Garcia's tone on Europe in '72: A twin preamp into a non-tube McIntosh Power Amp. And whether you like the Dead or not, most would concur that the Strat tone on that album is beautiful.

17. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

2nd this as well, especially for the price that they're asking.
    And I like Mackie's PA speakers.