NAMM - MacPherson Acoustics!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by DC1, Jan 22, 2012.

1. DC1

DC1 Member

2. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

Yea you know last summer I took the time to go to every major acoustic shop in the mid-west and south. I then went home for a couple of weeks to So Cal and auditioned guitars there as well. I musta played two hundred high end guitars.

In the end there were three magical, magical guitars I narrowed my search to. A McPherson was one of them. Just a stunning guitar. I think so many in that market are collectors and so few are actually players McPherson takes a hit on sales because folks aren't able to get past their preconceived ideas of what an expensive guitar should be.

I hear comments all the time about McPhersons are good but if I'm gonna spend that kind of money it's gonna be on a Collings. Makes me scratch my head. Nothing against Collings but as far as sound and touch and dynamics McPhersons are every bit the equal and in my case the superior.

I didn't end up with one but it definitely made the finalist list!

3. s2y

s2y Member

They're sure easy on the eyes and they're smart to have readily available CDs with their guitars on them.

I probably wouldn't have the opportunity to try before buying, but I've used a Mathew's compound bow since 1997 or so. He's a pretty innovative guy and by TGP's standards, since he's a good player, the guitars must be even better.

4. the beep

the beep Member

I played with Matt Jr and Sherry in the 80's and there's a couple things you should know. He IS integrity. Secondly, as expensive as his guitars are, there isn't a large mark-up in the pricing. It gives you an idea of the resources that go into each one.
    I played once with a band called "River" and they had 2 of them. Even the maple model had this rich amazing tone.
    You would do well to have a 2nd McPhearson under your roof.

5. DC1

DC1 Member

I want ONE...

Dang... I was not expecting the sound of those guitars...

:thud

dc

6. whattheadam

whattheadam Member

The last two years at NAMM I was able to enjoy playing the McPhersons. This year, a bearded hippie-lookin dude told me i couldn't even touch them... haha! I had no visible belt buckles, hoodie zippers, buttons, etc... He just told me no. Then he polished the back of the guitar after my eyes dirtied it. Whatever.

They DO sound great though. I don't know if they sound $6-8k better than Santa Cruz, Bourgeois and Lowden though - which seems to be their price range ($8,ooo - $16,ooo). Try those guys out too next time you get a chance.

7. DC1

DC1 Member

I like all those you mention, but not as much as the McPherson I played. The one that knocked me out was 6600.00 BTW.

Funny, they were really nice to me. Do you look like Charlie Manson?

I keed I keed!

They handed us whatever we wanted to play and left us alone. You must have gotten Mr. Grumpy back from a bad lunch...

dc

8. s2y

s2y Member

Someday Maybe.

9. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Maybe for my 50th birthday

...or 60th....or....

10. ZackisCountry

ZackisCountry Member

I got mine used at Artisan Guitars for around the same price as a nice Santa Cruz or Collings. It sounds flat out amazing.

11. mep

mep Supporting Member

My experience with McPhearson guitars is that they sound great especially to you as a player. I think that is because of the placement of the sound hole. However, when you get out in front of the guitar and have someone else play it, it doesn't sound any better than other high end instruments.

12. RockinB23

RockinB23 Member

I've played about 14 different McPherson guitars and I owned one for a while and I've never been as in to them as other brands. They sound a little too compressed and they feel way too heavy. I've played two that were head and shoulders above the rest and they were base models with sitka and rosewood and cedar and rosewood, which I found interesting.

Play a Petros, Ryan, Mayes or any number of guitars in that same price range before you pull the plug is all I'm saying. Nothing against McPherson they build solid guitars with the best fit and finish I've seen.

13. Ogre

Ogre Member

Owned one. Great woods, and construction. Found the tone to be less than stellar. Moved on.

14. aeronius

aeronius Member

This. I have a 5.0XP in Cedar/EIR that sounds phenomenal to me as I play it. Big and loud and chimey. But if I listen as someone else plays the McPherson or my Breedlove or my Webber, the quality of sound is essentially the same out front.

15. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

Yeah, they are different. I own 3 and had a 4th. I also have a Petros and a H&D Braz.

All amazing instruments. The McPhersons have a clarity and balance I feel unmatched. But the others have a warmth the McPhersons don't. Plus the MPs have a slightly stiffer action (perhaps how they get that clarity).

All amazing guitars. Just depends on what you want.

I never touched a Ryan but heard one at an open mic a few weeks back. Holy crap. The sound (through Bose PA) was much better than that from most of the run of the mill instruments. I wish I could hear my McPhersons through it but when I' playing I'm distracted by my own voice and other things.

16. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

I talked with a few guys who are big in the P&W/CCM genre a few years ago. The guitarist for this group said they love McPhersons on the road because they have such a great mix presence even in "live" rooms. They cut through without being harsh or shrill. Without saying it, he made it sound like they weren't great studio guitars. I mixed FOH for a guy with one about a year ago. I struggled to make it sound good in the mix AND solo. I think it could benefit from a good preamp, though.

17. DC1

DC1 Member

Not for us. We had three of us play the same guitar sitting in a circle and it was absolutely breathtaking both in front and in your hands. Floored me, to be honest.

dc