NAMM2017: Fender Handwired '64 Deluxe Reverb

DiPa

Constant GAS
Platinum Supporting Member
Fender can't win can they. They bring out new designs, and people say where are the reissues? They bring out a reissue, and people say they are just cheap pcb amp and don't hold a candle to the originals. Then they bring out a hand wired reissue, and people complain that the cloners do it better and that it is too expensive (and yes I was one saying price was higher than I would pay).

Guess Fender should just fold up shop and give up.

(Note that sarcasm was used in this post)
Oh yes, and there are Fender haters here, it's how it is, but glad Fender has it's fingers pointing on the target.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Yes, any substantial variation.
I won't be complaining when it's an improvement...
(And thanks for following my logic!)

I'm all for Fender doing handwired blackface.
Let me know when they do it cheaper and better than Allen, Headstrong, Vintage Sound, etc.

But I can't stand the "Fender is the original maker of these amps" argument.
Fender in 2017 is just another cloner.
If a different company made the DRRI or PRRI, it would be laughed out of the market.
But apparently that nameplate is worth big $$$ -- that's the part I don't get.
I mean, I'm somewhat brand conscious -- but only when the brand represents something positive.
To me, Fender in 2017 represents corporate greed, lame products, and poor customer service.
I own a Headstring amp which I love a lot and some other boutique, and the prices are comparable, similar range, in the ballpark, that's why Fdnder can offer a hand wired black face amp finally. Maybe this will push the boutique guys to lower their price as I think they have become expensive year after year.

DiPa

Constant GAS
But you're complaining about this improvement -- Fender going back to handwiring the BFDR! :mob

I'm just playin'… :D

Will do. I have a few of the Custom Tweeds. I like them quite a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing what they did with this amp (eg how it sounds, what went into it) -- and I'm not even a Blackface guy. I'm just thinking "Yes, more of this! I want more quality amps out there". I'm hoping these improved modern BFDRs are as well received as the Custom Tweeds have been once they get into players' hands.
Definitely and I too welcomed this news in excitement about the fender hand wired black face, am starting to save the coins cause I am going to want one. And I can't wait to see more hand wired black face Amps from Fender soon, Super Reverb and others.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
Definitely and I too welcomed this news in excitement about the fender hand wired black face, am starting to save the coins cause I am going to want one. And I can't wait to see more hand wired black face Amps from Fender soon, Super Reverb and others.
Yeah. I really hope they did it as well as the Tweeds! That ought to get people excited about it.

Hilltopper

Ha ha, everyone says, look at the guts of the Fender vs boutique builder X if you think Fender's product is as good. How about listening to what comes out of the amp when you play it as an alternative evaluation?

And BS, in the total picture, on reliability differences - yeah, if 1,000 Fenders are sold vs 100 boutiques you're likely to hear more Fender-related horror stories. I have new Fender reissues, vintage ones, and boutiques, and enjoy them all. No right or wrong here, it's to each his own.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
Ha ha, everyone says, look at the guts of the Fender vs boutique builder X if you think Fender's product is as good. How about listening to what comes out of the amp when you play it as an alternative evaluation?

And BS, in the total picture, on reliability differences - yeah, if 1,000 Fenders are sold vs 100 boutiques you're likely to hear more Fender-related horror stories. I have new Fender reissues, vintage ones, and boutiques, and enjoy them all. No right or wrong here, it's to each his own.
Guts in the Fender Customs are quite good IMO. I've seen boutiques with cleaner wiring, but not all of them. Fender uses clips in a couple spots but… the boards, soldering, and components look to be equivalent in many cases.

Maybe an(other) amp builder would care to comment?

BlueRiff

How dare Fender make it's own amps and gain back some market share from builders who clone their designs.

I have zero against clones, but what a truly bizarre post.
Point conceded. Nothing wrong with going after a market for sure. My point was this.. Do an amp inspired by the original with same quality, then do updates like - lose the extra channel, mid control, master volume, option for tube or SS rec. Make the amp still simple to use but with some modern appointments. (maybe I'm describing mostly an ALLEN amp..) But then they'd miss the reissue buzz. Instead they are simply duplicating same build as boutique clone builders but with Fender nameplate. That perfectly fine but they are not addressing a market where folks want upgrades to these classic designs. Of course Fender has a right to do this.

rusty

I own a guitar & I'm 3° from Kevin Bacon
Silver Supporting Member
Marketplace has boutique amps in same retail zone, which often have borrowed from Fender designs, so not sure why some bitch when Fender is retail competitive with boutique companies? I applaud Fender...doing good things lately and hopefully, building company financial strength. I'm really surprised they haven't gone after boutique companies more with 2-4k hand wired, etc offerings, so to drive those companies prices down, then eat them alive....what I would do... start to take back what was once Fender's.
this amp is stupid because it doesnt come with a g bender!!!

wait...wrong thread...:)

TCMx3

A voice of common sense (quoted below). If most people were this laid back and reasonable, guitar forums probably wouldn't exist. Not entirely sure that would be a bad thing.
you could leave for a while and report back. or not.

Muttlyboy

Gold Supporting Member
I think this is a great move on Fender's part.

This is a great way to supply professional players and endorsed players so that they can use Fender amps when playing in front of the public.

Easier for when they are using rented backline amps, or for when they may need instant replacement.

If these amps will have a street price new at 2500, they will probably sell used at 1700-1800.
Guys buying used will be able to have the security of being able to get back what they paid (like money in the bank).
Also, these newer amps should be less likely to require any major servicing.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
I think this is a great move on Fender's part.

This is a great way to supply professional players and endorsed players so that they can use Fender amps when playing in front of the public.

Easier for when they are using rented backline amps, or for when they may need instant replacement.

If these amps will have a street price new at 2500, they will probably sell used at 1700-1800.
Guys buying used will be able to have the security of being able to get back what they paid (like money in the bank).
Also, these newer amps should be less likely to require any major servicing.
Somebody buying one new still has a few years to make sure nothing will fail early because it has a warranty. After those few years, a well-built amp is far less likely to fail until it gets older.

theprofessor

Silver Supporting Member
Then whats the point of buying it "vintage" ... Those are the main componants you'd want vintage
My point was that it's way cheaper than the new one, it will still hold value more than the new one, and the new components like Mercury Magnetics transformers are going to be equal to or better than the components in the new one. All for a lot less money.

blaster

I like this amp. I own a 66 Deluxe Reverb and its my favorite amp. I think that anyone looking for a vintage BF Deluxe Reverb would appreciate Fender's entry into the hardwired BF amp. For roughly $2K or more this amp is in par with the vintage Fenders without spending money on any repairs or updates. My 66 is perfect and if I only had to have one amp, this would be it and the new 64 Fender would fit that requirement. I also have gone through several boutique amps, but the Fender is the one that that has stayed.

davidespinosa

Silver Supporting Member
Three worn cliches in one sentence, and plenty of prejudice to boot. Because you played the new handwired model before you decided you hated it, didn't you?
(1) Cliches are often right. (2) Yes, lots of prejudice against Fender. (3) The amp may be great -- but I don't like the company.

Again, Fender in 2017 has very little in common with Fender in 1965.
But I'm glad they're finally building a real Deluxe Reverb.

windjamma

I am interested in these but please fender don't use push on connectors for the switches etc that puts me right off. so will need to see gut shots before deciding. But the right direction to be going in for me for fender.

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
Very cool. Hope that they would also do a black face '65 and silver face '68 custom handwired. A handwired Fender "custom" Princeton Reverb with 12" or 10" speaker for $2,000 will just be about right.

C'mon people stop complaining about the price. Just think about the wages that the people who would do this get (this is where the extra $$ is going). It's either you can afford it or not simple as that. Like most people above said. Fender is trying to hit every working man's $$. There's something for everybody. Think about it like cars. Some people drive a Hyundai and some can afford a more expensive Mazda and some a more extravagant Ferrari. This new handwired '64 Deluxe Reverb is the Ferrari (or whatever expensive car) of the brand spanking new Deluxe Reverb. ;)

Now I'm so happy I own an almost pristine original 1965 Deluxe Reverb! :p

Gridlock

Love the idea, but I can still buy a really nice BF DR for that price or less.

Funny, the $4k Marshall 1962hw Bluesbreaker that I bought new last year (I paid less), sounds like a bargain compared to this Fender amp, since vintage BB's sell for much more ($10k).

I still love the idea of a handwired Fender DR, that is reliable, and I would probably buy one on the used market for $2k.

Last edited:

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Marketplace has boutique amps in same retail zone, which often have borrowed from Fender designs, so not sure why some bitch when Fender is retail competitive with boutique companies? I applaud Fender...doing good things lately and hopefully, building company financial strength. I'm really surprised they haven't gone after boutique companies more with 2-4k hand wired, etc offerings, so to drive those companies prices down, then eat them alive....what I would do... start to take back what was once Fender's.
From a business perspective, this pretty much sums things up in 3 sentences.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Love the idea, but I can still buy a really nice BF DR for that price or less.

Funny, it makes Marashall's $4k 1962hw Bluesbreaker that I bought new last year paid less) sound like a bargain since vintage BB's sell for much more.

In addition, it appears that Marshall is getting out of Handwiired amps.

As a long time Marshall user and a short time Fender user, by me, Marshall the company seemes going in the wrong direction..

I love the idea of a handwired Fender DR and I would probably buy one on the used market for $2k.
Where did you see that Marshall is getting out of the hand wired business? They have brought back pretty much all of them and I believe they will repeat the cycle every several years.
It's Fenders turn to bring back the hand wired black face line. Boutique builders got greedy and raised prices year after year, and now Fender can jump in at these prices and do very well.

Trending Topics