Nandi and Dave Grohl

Fatboy666

Supporting Member
Love this! The Mrs and I have been following along.

I've heard the media whore thing as well, but I think the reason Dave is always playing with different people and doing one off shows and guesting is because he's not a d1ck. He seems like a fun, kind, and respectful guy. That goes a long way.

I'll speak from experience, by all TGP accounts I am a hack. Yes, I read the hack thread and I qualify. But since my first band in high school I have never NOT been in a band. Or 2 or 3. Unless I didn't want to - too busy, burnt out, whatever. Why? Because I'm not a d1ck. I show up on time, my gear works, I don't play too loud, I don't try to bang the drummer's girlfriend, I encourage my band mates, and I'm kinda amusing.

Side note on Grohl - go to YouTube and find the Foo Fighters at Wembley show. In general it's a great show, enjoy. But in particular go to the end of the show when Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones come out to play Rock and Roll with the Foos. Taylor comes out front to sing and Dave gets behind the drums. It is absolutely enchanting to watch Dave play the intro - you can actually see him start out as Dave Grohl rockstar, and then transform into 15 year old Lil Davey - wide eyed and playing with idols!!

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Gold Supporting Member
That's fun to watch.

Minor quibble: wasn't it Taylor Hawkins who created and recorded the drum part for "Everlong?"

fetchmybeer

That's fun to watch.

Minor quibble: wasn't it Taylor Hawkins who created and recorded the drum part for "Everlong?"
I could be mistaken, but I thought that was the first album where Dave had an actual band and he was breaking in Taylor. He couldn't get Taylor to play the drums the way he wanted them played, so he ended up doing all the drum parts on that album as well. I think it was the third album when Taylor finally played.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Gold Supporting Member
Hawkins joined the band after the album was finished, Dave played drums on all songs. :)
I could be mistaken, but I thought that was the first album where Dave had an actual band and he was breaking in Taylor. He couldn't get Taylor to play the drums the way he wanted them played, so he ended up doing all the drum parts on that album as well. I think it was the third album when Taylor finally played.
This is where my memory shows it can be unreliable. For some reason I thought "Everlong" was on the third album.

The second album was the first with a full band, but I'm pretty sure Hawkins joined after it was finished. It was the prior drummer, William Goldsmith, who Grohl was unsatisfied with on the rough mixes so he re-recorded all the drum parts.

briwinters

Close, but Taylor wasn’t the drummer Grohl replaced on the album. The band that toured behind the first Foos album went in the studio for the second one....the drummer wasn’t cutting it so Dave replaced all the drums with himself. There’s a great Foos documentary called Back & Forth that walks through it all.

The Nandi/Grohl drum battle is as epic as Nandi keeps saying it is. As a music teacher I always say my girl students are MUCH better then the boys. I think as a father of 3 girls Grohl recognizes how fierce Nandi is behind the kit...it’s a girl dad thing :)

fetchmybeer

Close, but Taylor wasn’t the drummer Grohl replaced on the album. The band that toured behind the first Foos album went in the studio for the second one....the drummer wasn’t cutting it so Dave replaced all the drums with himself. There’s a great Foos documentary called Back & Forth that walks through it all.
Yeah, I have seen that doc, but it was a while back.

GuitarGuy66

Supporting Member
Side note on Grohl - go to YouTube and find the Foo Fighters at Wembley show. In general it's a great show, enjoy. But in particular go to the end of the show when Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones come out to play Rock and Roll with the Foos. Taylor comes out front to sing and Dave gets behind the drums. It is absolutely enchanting to watch Dave play the intro - you can actually see him start out as Dave Grohl rockstar, and then transform into 15 year old Lil Davey - wide eyed and playing with idols!!
they’ve had a lot of awesome guest players join them, Rush in Toronto, members of Queen. Always great to hear, I always have a great time anytime I get to see Foo Fighters live. Shows are routinely over 3 hours long.

Dave is one of the biggest fan boys of his idols despite his status as one of the biggest rock stars in the world. And I love it.
I really like the idea of the Probot album, how he wrote songs in the style of each band and then got the different singers to sing on them!

things like The Garage tour where they had contests to play a gig at different people’s garages, to bring up random people on stage to do a song with the band, and the drum off with Nandi. I think he’s just loves music, he knows what it’s like to be a fan and is a big fan of different bands.

The drum off was a lot of fun and with technology these days, I’m sure he’s enjoying it as well.

to paraphrase him “when you are a kid looking at the posters ofyour favourite bands don’t think “awe man I wish I could do that” instead thing “heck yeah, I’m going to do that!!”

Trending Topics