narrowed down my ldc choices :

Mister Natural

Gold Supporting Member
either an Audio Technica AT4040 or a Rode NT2
primary uses will be my baritone voice and my acoustic GTR

the rest of my mic cab includes Shure Beta 57a, Beta 58a and a little mxl 991 small-diaphram

which would you go for ?

Crowder

Dang Twangler
The AT is solid but very flat. Its personality is to have no personality. I haven't tried the Rode but it is well-regarded.

loudboy

I'd take the AT, but I'd also consider the Shure KSM series.

At that price point, you don't want "personality" you want a mic that works well in a variety of situations, which bot the AT and Shure will do,

electricity17

First question: Is there a store near you where you can try both mics on your voice? Different mics will work with different voices, so your best option would be to try them out before you buy one.

Second question: Have you checked out Oktavamod? I got a Rode NT1, not a great mic initially, then had those guys modify, and it was a massive difference, basically a new mic. Not sure if these are comparable in price, but might be worth considering. Another option would be the Shure KSM32 which has a good reputation.

nsureit

Old Guy...but not too old
Gold Supporting Member
Used KSM32 runs around $250. Excellent choice for vocals and acoustic guitar.

Rex Anderson

I don't think the KLSM-32 is a very good vocal mic. It's a single diaphragm mic and thus sensitive to popping on plosives. If you use it for vocals, use a windscreen.

Close miced vocals generally work better with dual diaphragm mics.

Trending Topics