Narrowed it down, Gibson SG vs Reverend Sensei ra...??

Russ73

Im looking to pull the trigger on one of these, played an SG today and it was well, an SG, sounded great, was probably a little awkward to play sitting and maybe going out of tune a bit, never played a Sensei but was recommended one and might have a line on one for a great price, I know the potential resale on the SG wins but the reverend has some good specs...opinions??

COYS

Both are great, but I'd prefer the SG between the two.

I think there'd be a place for a Sensei in your stable too perhaps, the railhammer pickups are very interesting to me, I could see owning one of those and an SG with the '57s, but if i could only choose one, I love a good SG.

GravityJim

SG any day. Iconic. All swag, no schwag. Look for a 2013 Standard... it has the ‘57 pickups and all the right details. I loved mine (just sold it last month).

Switters

Depends how good a deal the Reverend is.
Might be worth picking it up to try it out because SGs are pretty plentiful.

If it’s not a smoking deal, then SG all the way.

I would go Rev; I do own a couple reverends and they are great guitars. I love SG's; the tone, look, etc. but finding a good one (at least for me) has been very tough. The Revs are built very well and sound great. and for me they are more versatile with the bass contour control. The rail hammer pickups are very cool, but they do make a Sensei with tradition HB's if that is your thing. personally a sensei is going to me my next guitar!

good luck!

jvin248

Go with the Reverend.
SGs are plentiful, they have their quirks, and a Gibson version will incite headstock breakage anxiety.
I have both a Gibson and Epiphone SG and the Epiphone (G-400) gets all the play time and actually sounds better (blasphemy! It's even all stock except for a cap change to 0.033uF).

Get the Reverend and find a used Epi G-400

LeGar

My vote is for Reverend. I just bought a Sensei RT, and I love it. I was going to buy a Gibson Les Paul faded or an SG, but the Reverend outclassed them in every way. If you will be standing while you play the Rev is a real treat (the offset also makes it comfortable while seated). It is light, and it balances perfectly. The build quality and tone on Sensei are phenomenal. The tuning is also rock solid--mine even has a Bigsby.

The only thing that might be off putting are the large frets. I've never played a guitar with large frets, but it took me about one song to adjust, and now I don't even notice a difference.

If you can get the Rev for $500-700, you'll have no problem making your money back if you sell it. Plus, you wont find a better Gibson at that price (at least I couldn't).

Multicellular

My avatar photo tells you where I landed on this. I was in fact looking for an SG at the time, didn't find one that felt right, little things off, neck warpage, etc. bad store setups in more cases. I only played maybe 6 though, so I'm not judging the whole recent line of them. But the Reverend was absolutely perfect off the rack, still is 4 years later.