Narrowed It Down To A Tim, Gain Changer Or Another Dod Preamp 250...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fishlog, May 18, 2015.

1. fishlog

fishlog Member

I'm trying to figure out what to get for a second OD. I currently have one of the new DOD preamp 250s and think it's the best. I've been wrestling with the idea of just getting a second and calling it a day but the idea of having two of the same pedals (no matter how good I think they sound) seems limiting. It's to hard to ignore the Tim and gain changer at any rate. Probably won't stack them either. One for lead one for rhythm.

Any thoughts or additions? Soul food? Any preamp 250 options (I recently just asked for DOD preamp copies in another thread so please excuse doubling up on that question)?

2. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

A friend of mine has a Tim. I covet it. Gain Changer is awesome too, but just something about the Tim that I love. With the boost engaged you can get a lot of gain out of it too. They're a lot more than the GC though.

3. fishlog

fishlog Member

You know... I think meant the Timmy not the Tim. The smaller one.

4. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

May I suggest looking into the Bondi Del Mar?

Of course, it's hard to go wrong with a Gain Changer...

5. 65ChampAmp

65ChampAmp Member

Agree on your choice of the OD250 as #1...

you might like the TC Spark Booster as a complement to the 250. With the FAT and/or MID switch,it can be a stand alone od. Or it can goose the 250.
    And, as long as you're already a DOD fan, have you thought about the re-issued 410 Bifet Preamp?

6. fishlog

fishlog Member

Yes I have thought about the Bifet 410 but have never had the opportunity to try one... my fear is that the volume would get to high without/before getting into OD territory.

7. Papajoe

Papajoe Member

I have an original 250, but never even thought of using two of them. No need to. For rhythm I just back off the guitar volume.

I've tried it in front or behind other pedals, and for me it works best behind (closest to the amp) with my other pedals or by itself. Volume set at 0, Gain @ 10 with others. It doesn't color or steal anything from the other pedals. It makes them more pronounced. Kind of like going from 9v to 18v.

Unless you just want more of the same sound, try something else for the sake of variety.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Same here. OD250, cooking amp, Tele volume pot and volume pedal. Plenty of textures for what I do.

9. fishlog

fishlog Member

Been playing 20 years. Never been a volume knob kind of player. I have always used pedals as my gain stages.