Narrowing Down FUZZ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spoken wheel, Jul 13, 2008.

1. spoken wheel

spoken wheel Member

hello, I've been searching for a fuzz pedal the last couple of weeks and I'm slowly narrowing it down. I'm looking for something that doesn't sound like a Big Muff, which probably puts me in the Fuzz Face Ge category, however the Fuzz Face is just to plain. I do not want a bassy sounding fuzz either, originally I was interested in Analogman Peppermint fuzz but there are not many sound clips and after shipping, currency exchange, duty I could be looking at $260 CDN which is pricey for a pedal I've never tried. I was also looking at Z.vex (vexter) Fuzz Factory but I not a huge Muse fan and the demos/clips I've heard puts this on the borderline of Heavy Metal which I don't like either. i'm looking for something smooth, trebly, that can be plain but also be crazy, and I would like to hear one where notes/chords sustain for a long time, kind of like the way the peppermint fuzz trails Off.

Thanks for all your help guys

2. 4styx

4styx Member

Maybe a Hellbilly.

3. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

what about mjm london? and he's in your neck of the woods...

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Monsterpiece NPN would work nicely I think.

5. riker4208

riker4208 Member

I just bought a monsterpiece npn.....I'm excited to try it.

6. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Even though it's pricey, I think an NKT Sunface (w/ the high gain NKT's) would really do what you want. Smooth enough, yet higher gain than the regular NKT's; and it sounds awesome. You could also check out a Sweet Sound Pro Bender.
    The new/old stock NKT275 transistors are quite smooth, and with a Strat it does the Hendrix at Monterey/Cream thing beautifully. Very warm, and not too gritty, almost like an overdrive, but still very much a fuzz. I can't recommend them enough. Very deep and toneful.
    Analog Mike needs to put up some clips of the high gain NKT Sunface (or maybe he's trying to keep it low profile so they don't all get scooped up too fast).
    BTW, the Pro Bender has that great trail-off that you're talking about. So do the germanium Sunfaces, but the PB is way buzzier, whereas the Sunfaces are smoother. If you do get a Ge Sunface, I strongly recommend that you get one with the NOS NKT275's, because it is more than worth the price difference. Big vibe factor.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  7. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Just a thought, but you may want to check out the Pro Guitar Shop demo of the Catalinbread V8 Fuzz.

8. ungarn

ungarn Member

Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz

9. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

How about a Mark II clone like the MJM Britbender or the Throbak Stone Bender? I believe that MJM is in Canada also.

10. gururyan

gururyan Member

I absolutely love my London, but he doesn't want "bassy" so that's out.

11. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

12. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Skreddy Lunar Module or Lovepedal BBB07.

13. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

MI Audio Neo Fuzz? Very tweakable

14. spoken wheel

spoken wheel Member

has anyone tried sinister analog Ultra lord or soul provider, after listening to a clip of the ottava magus by catalinbread I think I may be lookig for a fuzz with a hint of octavia, any suggestions.

Thanks

15. ungarn

ungarn Member

Octave is fun for a short while...then very ANNOYING...non-octave fuzz is the way to go...

16. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

17. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

If you like the idea of the Ottava Magus but want a non-octave option, too, the Mojo Hand Mystick Octavius is the same circuit as the Ottava Magus, but has a toggle so you can choose to engage the octave effect or not. The Mystick Octavius is GREAT pedal! I've had mine for a few months now and I absolutely love it. You can get a ton of great sounds out of it, and it is fat and juicy from the word go.

18. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

not to hijack the thread but

anyone has any in put on the monterey fuzz by sweetsound?

19. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I had one for a while- great sounding germ. fuzz ,very dynamic and touch sensitive, cleans up amazingly well. One of those pedals that I kind of regret letting go of, but ultimately I was looking for something w/ a bit more gain.

20. emjee

emjee Member

From what you describe, a BJF CAF is the fuzz you are looking for. I have had one close to three months now, and for the first two months I wanted to make sure it wasnt just a honeymoon thing before I wrote a review about it on the BJF site. Its in the discussion forum, the thread is
    "WHat's your favorite fuzz".
    The reason I think its the one for you? Because most all of the ones previously suggested are (more or less) one trick ponies. For example, I have been playing my Sweetsound PB MKII for about a week now, and unless its broken, I have yet to hear a smooth trail off. The sustain will go for as long as you hold the note, but the decay is anything BUT smooth. In fact the decay is rather gated, a tad sputtery like the originals. JMO, YMMV

MG