Nash '63 T-Style: A 3-month report / review

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dave s, Aug 7, 2006.

1. dave s

dave s Member

Have been playing the Nash '63 T-Style for about 3 months now. It's been on a bunch of gigs and has been played quite a bit. Here's a review, but please note: My other guitar is a Grosh Retro Classic alder/rosewood with fralins and SP43 at the bridge which has been my #1 for about 5 years now.

Nash review:

Fretboard was stained or died. My fingertips turn black when playing the guitar. Not as much now compared to when I first got it, but still notice the walnut-colored stain on my fingertips.

Fretwork is pretty good, but not on par with the newer US made Fedner teles. Some areas on the Nash kind of peter out above the 12th fret on the E and B strings. Not a real 'fret-out,' but not the sustain you'd expect, either.

Lollar pickups: I've never had more trouble dialing in pickups as I'm having with this guitar. The balance still isn't right to my ears. Get out the screwdriver again. However, they are pretty much the highlight of the guitar and work VERY well with both volume and tone controls.

Nut: Typical cheap plastic nut that results in the strings binding. I think the nut is the culprit in the guitar not staying in tune as much as I'd like over a solid 1-hour set of playing.

Tuners: They operate poorly. They feel cheap. The kind where you can't go down without the pitch going flat then pulled back up to tune. Maybe with a bone nut the tuners might not seem so bad, but they aren't anything like the ones on my Grosh.

Fit / Finish: It looks 'cool,' no doubt. Excellent coloring on this Sonic Blue / Rosewood neck version. Neck is nice and smooth due to finish being removed. It's not overly relic'd and looks normal from about 10 feet away. Fairly lightweigh and very comfortable to play.

Overall, I'd say the guitar is 'what it is' -- an interestingly looking facsimile of a '63 Telecaster. It doesn't play overly well, doesn't sound brilliant, and has some performance issues in a live situation. However, it oozes the 'cool factor' if relics and copies of old guitars mean anything to you.

On the upside, it cost about HALF of what an officially licensed relic tele would cost, or about a THIRD of what a boutique T-style would cost. And maybe a QUARTER of the holy grail GVCG would run.

Since I've been through about a dozen 'backup guitars' for my #1 in the past 3 years, the Nash is staying. When the summer gigs run out, it'll get a new nut, a better setup and the pickups balanced. Maybe it'll perform a little better in a live situation after that.

Just wanted to share the results of the 3-month test drive on one of these guitars.

dave

2. PaulM

PaulM Member

Thanks for the review. Very similar to my experience with a www.vintagereplica.com guitar. You'll be happy to know that a new nut, dressed frets and a set-up solved the problem.

3. stucker

stucker Member

Dave,
    It's difficult to beat a Grosh VT. I own an ash/maple VT, an alder/rosewood S, and an alder/maple S.

Scott

4. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Good review...thanks.

5. hogy

hogy Member

My sincerest condolences. It was still so young...

6. dave s

dave s Member

DOH! I knew that ... it was DYED! It still makes noise then strummed, so it can't be dead!

dave

7. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

Refreshing to see an honest review, I am sure a full setup will help an awful lot.

8. B Vance

B Vance Member

Thank you so much for the honest review. It's refreshing to read reviews here unlike on HC where you typcially see tens down the board no matter what after only 2 hours with the product. Unfortunately I'm about a week away from my Nash T-Style being completed and delivered.

Curious...which Lollar pickups did you go with? I'm getting an underwound Imperial in the neck and a T-Special in the bridge.

Are you playing with 10's, 11's etc?. I think the guitars are originally set up for 10's. I play 11's so I was expecting to have to do some set-up work, but I hope it's not as extensive as it looks like your may be.

Thanks again. You may hear from me to see if you were able to improve the state of things and what you had to do to get it tip top if I am having some of the same issues.

9. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Great review from a working standpoint.
    Sorry its not all it could have been.

Same price point:
    [​IMG]

Jeff Senn Tele, No died fretboard, bone nut, stays in tune perfectly, perfect fretwork, rings out like non other, built to my specs all for around 2K.

Worth a look...

10. landru64

landru64 Member

it may not be the nut material as much as its the skill with which the nut is cut, IF it was cut by a person ;)

11. les_patlaw

les_patlaw Member

I bought a Nash about a year ago. It’s a S-62 with Fralin Vintage Hots, 6105’s (compound radius). Before the Nash I played a PRS for about 9 years. The Nash stained my finger the first gig too! Whatever is put on the fingerboard must be water based because I took the strings off and rubbed the board with a wet wash cloth and some “elbow grease.” I rubbed until the rag stopped turning black and haven’t had a finger stained since. Mine also had the same sort of stain on the pick guard and knobs. I didn’t like it so I rubbed it off with the same rag.
    I don’t doubt that the fretwork on the above Grosh is better than the Nash. However, when comparing the Nash’s fretwork with my PRS’s, I don’t have any complaints. They are both great jobs in my opinion. My Nash strat may not be perfectly finished like a Grosh, Thorn, Anderson, Tyler, etc., but I have fallen for it hard. I’ve played it almost exclusively since I got it a year ago. I also am completely taken by the Nash’s vibe. The guitar really has the vibe of the real deal and once you rub all the gunk off the fretboard and the pickguard, you’ve got a smoking “vintage” guitar for a reasonable price.

I’m so taken by the vintage-guitar-for-a-reasonable-price movement (read: relics) that I’m on the hunt for number three. I’ve also got a sonic blue tele that I’m crazy about.

12. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

i built this USACG/allparts tele w/ lollars (lollar/GVCG bridge p/u, vintage neck) and had MJtele do the finish..all nitro, checked (cant see in the pics) and worn! the USACG body is 2 pc. swamp ash @3.2lbs, and the neck is an allparts TRO-C. it looks the part when you have it your hands! best things other than feel and tone? is 7 lbs and only cost me about $1000!
    [​IMG]

13. dave s

dave s Member

Hope so and here's to yours arriving in top playing condition!

dave

14. dave s

dave s Member

Ken,

thanks. It's going in for a good 'once over' probably this month. Things are starting to cool off gig wise, so whenever I can do without it for about 2 weeks it will go for a setup.

I like to post pics when something new and cool is received, but hold off on the reviews until I can decide if the gear works for me. The Nash does. It fits my gig pretty well and is pretty cool! :AOK

dave

15. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like that guitar needs a bit of work.
    And like Pete, for $1000 I can build pretty much any Tele I can imagine using USA Custom parts, any pick ups (except bardens) and a sweet birdseye neck, vintage style or modern style parts that together make a sweet sounding Tele.
    For $500 I can do it with much lesser parts (Mighty Mite) and will get a lesser sound with a lot more tweaking and adjustments but still a Tele that will hold its own with a Fender imho. (Don't just believe me, I sold em to some very happy players)

16. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

Perhaps you got a dud? I'm sure it happens. It seems odd because most people like Nash guitars. I like them. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm really enjoying my Nash Tele. The detail and playability are top notch IMO. The pickups are Rio Grande tall boys and it came stock with them.

Here's a pic of my Nash
    [​IMG]

17. dave s

dave s Member

That's a beauty Andersonguy! A little more pricey than the Nash, but like anything else ... we get what we pay for! :rolleyes:

dave

18. dave s

dave s Member

I've seen the pics of your Nash. Wow! That one is killer!

Somehow, I got the impression mine was kind of thrown together. When it arrived it had glue all over the first fret from (i'm guessing here) installing the nut maybe?

I don't think it's a dud, per se, but my impression was that Nash might possibly be building 'em a littler quicker these days to keep up with the demand. Again, just conjecture on my part. Nothing nearly wrong enough with the guitar to kick it to the curb or anything like that.

dave

19. B Vance

B Vance Member

Thanks bro.

20. johan

johan Member

Thanks for the honest review. I really appreciate it.