Nash Guitar Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Champlifier, May 17, 2006.

1. Champlifier

Champlifier Supporting Member

Is there a way to tell a guitar is in fact a Nash?
    Is there any marking on the body?
    If I was to purchase an alledged Nash, how would I know If it was a Nash?

2. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

If it's a more recent guitar, there is a serial number on the tip of the headstock, and corresponding hang tag with specs. On older ones, I really don't know what identifying marks there might be?
    Greg

3. B Vance

B Vance Member

Send him a picture of it. He'll be able to tell.

4. angler87

angler87 Member

Depending on the age and whether or not it was a custom order, itll have different markings. I owned a custom Nash and saw other Nashes when he still had his client pages set up.

Usually under the guard there are markings about the guitar- for instance, a 50s style Strat may say something like "50s seafoam" or a blackguard may say "50s BS" (for butter scotch)

The heel of neck has markings, usually initials if it was a custom order.

The headstock on mine actually had markings too, with my initial up the very end of the headstock, but not on the face of the headstock.

I think he also marks pick up configurations on the new models.

5. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Nothin here, bad post, sorry!

6. les_patlaw

les_patlaw Member

The "pre-dealer Nash's" will have the buyer's initials on the body under the pickguard and on the pickguard. The guard will also list what pickups were initially installed. The heel of the neck will also have the buyers initials.

I responded b/c as mine was being built Bill sent me a link to all of his clients "in progress" page. So, for the months it took to complete the guitar I also watched everyone elses guitar being built. He'd also take a picture of a group of assembled pickguards and post them to more than one "in progress" page. The guard with your name on it was yours. Bodies and necks all, generally, had the same markings. He'd even put what level of aging was to be done on the body (sometimes).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  7. B Vance

B Vance Member

Just curious, how long ago was this? He's set to deliver mine and I never got to see any "in progress" pics.

8. les_patlaw

les_patlaw Member

B Vance,
    I got the Nash in May of 05. However, I was watching all the "in progress pics/sites" for a good month or so before that (could have been longer). I don't have the addresses as Katrina reclaimed the computer I was using at the time.

9. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

The back of the headstock on my Nash Tele has ....

"Custom Built by Nash Guitars 2002 USA"

10. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Gold Supporting Member

I second the, "Ask Bill" response. I have always been amazed at his eagerness to help as well as his knowledge on the guitars that he has done.

That said, What is a Nash? I know he has done (in the past) relicing for customers. I sent Bill a body and loaded guard and he did the rest -Built me a great Strat. That said, is it a Nash? Does he have to source the body from Allparts, Warmoth, USA Custom Guitars, etc. in order for it to be a Nash?

My .02 cents. What seperates Bill's guitars from many of the other Strat and Tele style guitars are the finish work, set-up and pickup selection relative to the guitar. For example, my favorite Nash tele had stacked Duncan noiseless pickups. Extraordinary tone! The Rio's in my #1 Nash Strat sound fantastic... so of course i went and put Rio's in some other guitars of mine. Yes, I still like them, but not the religious experience that they are in my Nash Strat.

I'm a big fan of Bill and his guitars-

11. dave s

dave s Member

I pulled the pickguard assly on my Nash T-Style. The pickups say Nash on them -- written in what looks like white-out or white testors model paint :jo

Oh, and his has the serial number marked on the headstock written with a freaking SHARPIE! Nice touch. :jo

dave