Nash Guitars... I'm confused?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stacanova, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Agree. Bash Nash all you want while paying $4K+ for a used Danocaster just because he stopped making them... makes sense.

goldtone, jrjones, COYS and 2 others like this.
  2. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I have one Nash Tele. Partscaster or not all I can say is it is the best sounding Tele I've ever owned. And yes, the relicing is a little over the top to me.

3. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

I've played both.. I would buy a K-Line over a Nash in a New York second...

4. CarpathianWhips

CarpathianWhips Member

I’ve played a few Nash Tele’s in a store. They looked like something dragged behind a tractor but the set up, playability and tone were very impressive indeed I have to say.

5. Gspspinone

Gspspinone Supporting Member

I had a K-Line Strat I bought second hand through a high end shop. It was nice and light, set up terribly with high action so had a pro set up done...fretting out and string buzz galore so took it back and had adjustments made....string buzz and fretting out continued. Took it back...discovered tat several (11 or 12 I think) frets were loose, the tech popped a couple out with his bare fingers for me. Took it back and shop accepted it as a return (offered to pay to have it fixed but had a bad taste in my mouth with it so passed).

6. Stephan Perets

Stephan Perets Supporting Member

My $.02 isn't worth a whole lot but I've played about 5 of them over the years and never have I really been impressed with the relic job. The ones I played (I'm sure there are some GREAT ones and I'm determined to find one) have been sort of lifeless in comparison to my LSL Tbone Relic. The FCS guitars I've owned weren't particularly "magic" but they certainly felt of better quality to the Nash's for what it's worth, and I'm definitely biased against FCS because you really do end up paying a bit for the name on the headstock. I do dig the idea of a company that ONLY makes relics though, and the used market for them is pretty decent and risk-free (they seem to sell around the same price so you wouldn't lose much should you try one and want to re-sell later). But, based on my experience with them, I'm not really jumping at the bit to spend money on one when builders like LSL or Hahn command roughly the same used price point.

Do the older Nash's have some more of that special sauce to them since they weren't built at the same quantity as today, and Bill may have been able to spend more time in QA/QC?

7. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

All guitars are made of parts. It’s all about having decent materials and the assembly—neck pocket, frets, pickup heights, etc...

Doesn’t matter what name is on it other than a recognition of general results from that source.

Marco78 likes this.
  8. johnsav

johnsav Member

I really like Tyler's sense of humour.

RickC likes this.
  9. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

I own a Nash Tele and prefer it hugely over any Fender Custom Shop Tele I have ever played. Nice big neck and the 10" radius fingerboard really helps bending strings comfortably. BTW: I owned an original 59 Tele, which was a great guitar. The Nash has the same mojo to me less the hefty price tag.

10. d'djembe mutombo

d'djembe mutombo Member

Nash is the abercrombie acid wash jeans of the guitar world.

Tritone and COYS like this.
  11. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

The difference people are pointing out would be that Fender makes the bodies and necks in house, does the finishing and fretting and everything else from end to end on a Custom Shop.

These relic houses are building partscasters from prefabricated necks and bodies, as anyone can do, and essentially just selling you the relicing service.

A good local tech can give a guitar "such a great setup" including a fret level and nut work, all customized to your specifications.

(Buying a guitar because of the setup is a bit like buying a car because the seats and mirrors were already right where you like them... but that's a whole different topic... )

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    larry1096, Khromo and fourtet102 like this.
  12. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Never owned a Nash, but the relic job always looked a bit haphazard

13. boo radley

boo radley Member

I don't think it's particularly funny nor edgy, and at one point would have admired Tyler for certainly sticking to his brand, but have grown weary of polarization in general, regardless of context.

I played whatever version of Nash is their '52 reissue copy about 5 years ago, and wish I'd bought it. Prices, used were right at $1k. Now they're almost twice that, and in a range in which there are many other guitars, used, I like better.

14. d'djembe mutombo

d'djembe mutombo Member

When buying a new guitar, I think the most value for your money is in the $1-$2k range. Anything over that you are paying 2X for a guitar that is 2% better. Its almost like wine. How much better is a $100 bottle than a $20 bottle? Marginally better.

15. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

If you would have called Chris you would have had a new neck and setup... was it an old one with a Fender headstock or a newer one with his headstock... just curious..
    I'm guessing everyone has a bad experience at some time.. I had one with Rocketfire.. I know it's hard to trust after that kind of a deal..

16. Tritone

Tritone Member

I would be very interested in a non-relic Nash.

navsnipe likes this.
  17. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I debated getting one...it played and sounded great, I just don't care for their relic work. If they'd do a New or NOS version I'd be more tempted. Not a relic hater at all, I just don't like the over done/over yellowed/orange looking lacquer and relic job. YMMV.

18. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I feel the same. Which is funny as they are known as a relic guitar company.

19. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member

A lot has to do with where it sits as far as price point.
    Yes, it's a partscaster.
    Go look in Reverb. A Nash is ~ $1900 new, $1600 + used. They seem to hold their resale value higher than some others. An LSL is ~ $400-$600 more. A Danocaster is double the price. $3600 used over $4k new (and yes a Danocaster is a much better guitar). Fender CS is expensive.
    An allparts partscaster by some guy is cheaper, but has almost no resale value. If you have the skills, inclination, time, and desire to spec out a good Partscaster and do it yourself, it can be a bit cheaper than Nash. If you like US Fender, they can be much cheaper.
    Besides the fact that I played them & dug em, liked the quality, and found non ugly light relics, I bought Nash guitars because the price is a sweet spot for me at this time, and the resale value serves as a hedge in case I want to sell or trade it.

Billyzoom1 and buddyboy like this.
  20. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member

They have heard this numerous times, and now do "extra light aging".
    https://www.nashguitars.com/

Mine is just Light Aging, from Humbucker Music's stock. Except for a little on the fretboard and the back of the neck, it looks fine to me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    b80, BluesBUSTER, chandra and 2 others like this.