Nash Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AK1, Sep 22, 2005.

1. AK1

AK1 Member

has anybody had experiences with Nash guitars ?
    How do they compare to Fender Relics ?

2. Phil M

Phil M Member

I was urged to pick it up and play when we saw one. I had no idea what a Nash was and thought the relicing was silly, but I played it and could not put it down. Unreal feel and playability and it had all the positive attributes that I don't see in most production strats. Great pickups, resonant body, substantial feel, good tuning stability, perfect neck. I ended up with it (a '60s S-Type in Daphne Blue).

They are hard to come by and there is quite a waiting list, so I'd recommend jumping on one if you see it (there was a nice Tele in the Emporium yesterday). I just happened to be on a trip to a store in Ithaca that is one of the few Nash retailers.

I didn't compare it to any Fender relics.

3. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

Back when he took custom orders, I custom ordered an S style - lightweight ash, three tone burst, flame maple neck, dark slab brazilian board, 9.5" radius, 6105 frets, 1 11/16 nut, Fralin Vintage Hot pickups. Body and neck from USA Custom. No aging.

The guitar came out amazing, and cost less than used Relics. I've owned a number of relic/closet classic strats, and the Nash is a better guitar, plus I could spec it out. (I've heard he doesn't do that anymore...)

His fretwork is fantastic.

4. angler87

angler87 Member

I recently received my Nash tele and it really is a great guitar. The body is resonant, the nitro finish is spectacular, the pickups sound great and the neck plays perfectly.

Overall I'm really happy with it. Do a search by my username to see a full review and picture of my guitar.

Its tough to find his guitar in stores and on ebay. Just today there was a 52 blackguard style tele that went in under 12 hours.

They're better than Fender by the way.

5. jetlag

jetlag Member

I had a buddy with two nash guitars - a strat and a tele. The strat has a nice light ash body and a smallish neck. Very resonant guitar - sounded much better than another bud's '56 NOS CS strat. BUT ......... the finish on the neck was weird. It was like some kinda water based finish that looked brushed on. It was really weird. On the good side, the neck wasn't sticky like the new CS fenders, on the bad side, it looked wrong and felt wrong. The strat (mary kay) has a real fake looking brown stain smeared over it to look like aging. I would have prefered light relic'ing w/o the goofy stain. The tele was better looking and finish wise. It's baseball bat neck was weird in that there was no taper to the depth - massive at the nut and just as massive (or a little smaller) at the 12th fret. The guitar sounded pretty good. Not as good as the strat. I believe there were fralins in the strat and voodoos in the tele.

6. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

I love my nash tele big time... Great quality stuff

7. mainsale

mainsale Member

I got a custom order for a "Keef" Tele in just under the wire. It will be a while before I get it, but I'm really looking forward to it.

8. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I had one built in oly white, big fat neck, lollars, and mild relic job. I have three relics by fender, this one does not take a back seat to any of the three I currently own. Not better, but different, and very cool, I reach for this one first every time, the neck is the biggest on any strat I have played, just very cool.

9. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

My E type is the shell pink one on his gallery page. The brown gunk was easy to wash off the pick guard. Otherwise, the guitar is stellar, impressing even the most snobbish vintage Fender owner.

10. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I had my Nash built about the same time as Relicula and it turned out spectacular. It took some doing (the first neck I got wasn't right) but after he replaced the neck it was great. An incredible playing and sounding guitar. The only person I've seen who does better fret work is Don Grosh. I've had a 59 Relic, and two Grosh Retro Classics and now I only own the Nash.

11. AK1

AK1 Member

thanks for all your input.

12. voodoo364

voodoo364 Member

I own an S style Nash. Incredible playablity and tone. My fave guitar

13. eightyfour

eightyfour Member

Great stuff. I just parted with this one, but only because I'm a vintage Hamer nutcase, not because there's even a single flaw with this guitar. Amazing Tele, by far the best I've ever owned. My only word of caution is that the finish is super thin, and for a working player, putting addition wear and tear marks on the body is almost too easy to do. Otherwise tear it to shreds, it's worth ever second.
    [​IMG]

14. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Are Nash guitars typically...

- light in weight?

- larger/flatter radius?

Thanks.
    Greg

15. angler87

angler87 Member

I think the weight on them varies. When you could custom order them you could specify weight. My tele is just under 7 pounds.

The radii are usually bigger. On mine I wanted a compound radius from 7.25 to 9.5. Most of the ones Ive seen at his dealers are anywhere from 9.5 to 12

16. dave s

dave s Member

Hey Dr Rico ... I don't know how much you posting that link almost cost me. Thank God the line at Phil's was busy ... TWICE!

Don't anyone buy that Sonic Blue strat with matching headstock! As soon as the line frees up I'm going to do something stupid!

dave

17. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Thanks. BTW, according to his website, no more custom orders.

18. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

[​IMG][/IMG]
    This is my First Nash Telecaster. It is Purple. I Like My Purple Nash. It Plays very well and Makes me very Happy :)
    She has a Medium Neck 9.5 with 6105 frets. Duncmore Seemen Pickups and has an Ash Body. Oh' and she is a SCREAMER!!!!!!!!!!! oh yeah!

19. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

[​IMG][/IMG]
    This is my Second Nash Tele. This One is great for country Style pickin or just Plain ol Rock n roll. She has a Nitro Covered Ash Body, Maple Nack with a 9.5 Radius. 6155 frets. Compensated Saddles - Duncan STK Tele noiseless Stack in the Neck and My Personal fovorite Duncan Lil 59 in the Bridge. Wired up like a Standard Tele, But She has no Noise. You can Put Her through a Fuzz or Distortion box and Yup - You Guessed it - No Noise!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have Plenty of other Vintage Style Tele's with Noisy Pickups and yes there is a Time and Place for those Guitars, But did I Mention that This Tele is Noiseless!!!!!

20. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I love my Nash strat, it was made exactly the way I asked, less pickups, which was my personal taste. Bill shipped me three pickguard assemblies to test, and I decided on Lollar's. Really nice.

Phil on the other hand is the rudest, freakin know it all I have ever encountered in 40 years of buying and selling guitars. He's as much fun as a case of the crabs, and I would never consider buying anything from him. According to our conversation, "I didnt get it" and he wasnt prepared to educate me, it just wouldnt work.

I have more guitars, and amps in my house than he has in his store, and I do "get it" What I dont "get" is giving guys like him my money, and more importantly thinking he is so knowledgable, that he can educate me on what sounds good and what doesnt. Oh by the way at the time of this discussion we were talking about a 70's strat, he's right I dont get it.:mad: