Nash Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bmgblues, Oct 28, 2005.

1. bmgblues

bmgblues Member

Ive had a chance to gig on several Nash guitars, and while they are very cool, they ain't the be all end all of Fender replicas. I think they sound great, but you put Lollar, Frailin, Duncan or any other great pickup in ANY Strat,Tele, whatever and you can PLAY( that being the operative word here) your gonna have a great sounding guitar. As far as the relic thing, I think you should get out and play some bars. That should do it. I dont understand that big money for a parts guitar anyway, I mean come on, lets get real, if you make great music, nobody gives a crap how beat up your guitar is. I remember when we tried to keep our axes looking new, and it made us sick for the first ding to get on it.
    My how times have changed. I guess its all about the looks anyway! Just my venting on a ridiculous phase all guitar players go through. Remember Floyd Rose Tremeloes and Sustainers?

2. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

I personally like them. I now have two. One is not relic'd at all and the second only mildly. For the $ they are a good deal for someone to get exactly what they want in a custom built guitar. A lot less expensive than a Grosh or Suhr. He offers a good service for someone (like me) who doesn't have the time, tools, knowledge or skill to build a custom guitar for themselve. It's a lot more involved than most people think. Most people don't want to invest the money in spraying and fret dressing equipment when they are only going to have one or two guitars made.

Just another point of view,

Joe

3. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

Mr. Nash is apparently being a lot less accomodating these days re: the "get exactly what [you] want in a custom built guitar". I had a dealer approach Nash about getting one with the neck pickup routed for a mini-HB, and the reply was that he had a set of features he was supplying his dealers with now, and he wasn't going to change it.

I don't know if he'd just come out of the paint booth or what, but he wasn't interested AT ALL in giving me exactly what I wanted.

4. e-z

e-z Member

He doesn't make custom gutars anymore.

5. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Wow. I knew he wasn't taking direct custom orders but I thought dealers could spec out guitars. I guess his philosophy has changed. Maybe for the worse. That's probably going to chase a lot of people away.

Joe

6. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

:D :D :D

7. bmgblues

bmgblues Member

I think at the end of the day, its like wearing a fake Rolex, its all a mental thing. Its basically a fashion show.

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thats the price you pay for the lower price. You start Custom ordering everything and you will be right back up to Suhr/Grosh/Anderson prices.......................Revrend guitars is going under becuase of the price it takes to make a custom electric guitar in the USA.

I don't get the relic thing..............but a quality made USA Custom guitar in the Nashs price range is very impressive.

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I agree..............Me? I bought a nice used Kelly Caster that is my #1.................

10. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

As it occurs to you.

As it occurs to me is that they feel different, play different and sometimes sound different.

Guitars that is, not a rolex or a fashion show.

11. bmgblues

bmgblues Member

I totally agree, not all guitars are the same by any stretch of the imagination, but making one look like a 50's or 60's model is just for the buyers ego. I mean if you play an "old" guitar you are a bad mofo and in the know. It makes you hip and cool. And we as musicians and our culture buy in to that nonsense. I mean Fender makes an American series guitar and a Mexican series as well, but I can assure you they are all put together by Mexicans. Some in Mexico, some in California, but Mexicans just the same,so whats the difference? Several hundred bucks and a made in USA sticker. Remember, Leo Fender was the Hartley Peavey of the day. He made affordable guitars for the masses. Its basically two pieces of wood bolted together. Its our culture and belief if we posses what the greats had, we will also be great. Not so. Focus on being great,not looking the part. The guitar is just a conduit for the music.

12. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Just to add some clarity to mr. bmgblues. I did NOT get a Nash because I wanted a relic guitar, nor one that looked like an old guitar. I got one because I wanted a guitar that I couldn't get from Fender as a modern guitar without going custom shop and masterbuilt at that. I'd have definitely opted for relicing it myself except that I wanted a custom color (yellowed vintage white) and a large neck with large frets. To do that via Fender would have cost me 3x what the Nash cost me. And on top of that I got a superb playing guitar. I've owned a CS 59 reissue, and two Groshes and this is easily as good or better than those. It isn't just the Fralins, because the Groshes had Fralins in them too.

It was the price and quality that I ordered for.

I'm extremely disappointed to learn that Nash isn't doing custom orders from dealers in case I ever want to get another one.

13. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Since a great deal of what goes on with performing is about "appearance" -- from what we wear, to how we act when we're in our "on-stage" personas -- I don't see the big deal. If someone likes the "look" of an aged instrument, and they feel it complements the persona they want to project, more power to them. No one is forcing anyone to buy an aged instrument... ;)

14. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

+1

Like I said in another thread I ordered my second one, before the cutoff date, after seeing yours. Vintage white (with rosewood) is just not available on any production vintage style strat.

Joe

15. Relicula

Relicula Member

I own a Nash, the feel of the guitar is very worn in which is why I like it. New guitars with shiny finishes just dont do it for me personally.

Before someone stands up and says relic it yourself, let's be real, how long do you think it takes, a few gigs, a year, quite a bit longer, and I dont usually own a guitar for more than a year or two before I move on, or get bored with it. This guitar feels broken in, and I dont have to worry about it getting banged around.

As far as Lollar, Fralin, or any other custom pickup making a guitar sound good, that is just plain wrong. I have dumped great sounding pickups from those manufacturers in guitars that sounded like crap in an effort to save them, to no avail. Good p/us wont save a bad sounding guitar period.

Regarding the fashion show type aura that guitars have, worn in guitars feel good, how they look to someone else shouldnt validate your warrior status when it comes to playing. That is a perception that is more common on boards like these, than in the general public that observes a guitar player. I play at home mostly, I could care less about impressing friends or an audience, and the worn in feel is more to my personal taste, than new finishes.

I was able to order specifically what I wanted on this instrument, and Bill delivered. The guitar sounds as good as any one of seven Cunetto relics that I have owned over the years.

No guitar is better or best, try posting that theory on any bulletin board, and watch the masses come out and tell you theirs is better, or best. This is not the best guitar in the world but it is the best strat that I own.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

16. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

[
    I got mine because the feel and Thats why I wear Timex because I dont follow the show Just do what feels good to play,and thats what was good,I see a Lot Of Suhrs and Andersons for sale so I dont see any Nashes most folks would hang on to them cause they feel and play good,
    Anyways BrngBlues I have to go play at the Honky Tonk
    Later

QUOTE]Originally posted by OldSchool
    Thats the price you pay for the lower price. You start Custom ordering everything and you will be right back up to Suhr/Grosh/Anderson prices.......................Revrend guitars is going under becuase of the price it takes to make a custom electric guitar in the USA.

I don't get the relic thing..............but a quality made USA Custom guitar in the Nashs price range is very impressive.
    [/QUOTE] :dude

17. sanhozay

Nothing wrong with serving our egos; honestly I always interpreted the "worn" "relic" guitar buying as people connecting and having fun with their instruments.

And {my take at least} Hip & Cool was, and still is, the underlining current and motivation for 99% of the beginners playing and listening to rock 'n roll.

18. bmgblues

bmgblues Member

Let me remind all of you, unlike Reverend, Suhr, Anderson ect ect.
    Mr. Nash is a PAINTER, a good one for sure, and he relics his hardware very nicely, but he no more manufactures guitars than I do. He buys parts and bolts them together. Then solders in the electronics and pickups. Anyone with basic skills can do that. Ask Stewart-McDonald how many guitar kits a year they sell. Its not like building a D-28 or a 335. C'mon think about it. If you buy parts in bulk you dont have very much in any guitar, just labor and set up. He makes knock offs at best. I knew ya'll would take this too seriously. Its marketing. Theres no shortage of Nash guitars to buy. Go to any of his posted dealers, they all have guitars for sale. I bet next year they have a LOT of guitars for sale. Just my opinion. I have to go to the Honky tonk myself with my Japanese Strat. Remebember, play it like you mean it, and always tell the truth.

19. sanhozay

And the truth is much like an onion because the more layers you peel away the more it makes you cry.

Just sayin.

20. bmgblues

bmgblues Member

Mr. Suhr, I agree you and Mr. Anderson are Terriffic painters and guitar manufacturers. I think you misunderstood what I was saying. You build, paint and design high end Fender type guitars. much better instruments than most. I put you in a much higher bracket than I do builders that buy in bulk and screw them together.
    I have had the pleasure of playing and giging on your guitars and Tom Andersons as well as several Nash guitars. Yours and the Andersons were much higher quality. I dont know if $3,000 plus for a bolt on neck guitar is fair or not, I think that falls into the "My guitar is better than your guitar syndrome" but who's to say? People are paying big money for 70's strats and tele's and they were crap when they were new and as far as Im concerned still are. Your guitars are far better. Sorry I was misunderstood.
    You make great pickups too. But thats a whole other issue.