Nash vs Fender

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fu78, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Fu78

Fu78 Member

Anyone played Nash AB test with Fender masterbuilt? Which better?

I know Nash guitar sound best and low price by internet. I played Nash guitar (52 tel) first time in music shop for test OD pedal today. Amazing guitar had low price. Personally, I think the Nash 52 TL better than all Fender CS (price under $3k list price of dealer) So surprised!

I am Fender fans and own 4 masterbuilt. May be I bring my MBS 58 tel to AB test with the Nash 52TL (both maple fat neck and heavy relic).

2. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Ive not played a Masterbuilt but I will agree that Nash > 99.9% of all CS Fenders Ive played

3. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

I cant agree. Even though Fender has some quality issues their cs works are much better imho than a parts guitar with relicing. I like the nash's but I think your comparing apples to oranges here.

4. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

there are a few Utube clips that demo a shootout between Nash and Fenders. The Nashs sound kinda of dark to my ears

5. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Have you actually played a Nash and compared it to a CS? I have. I sold two Groshes and a CS 59 reissue after getting my Nash. Why? Well first it played better than all of them, second it was priced less than HALF what a CS would have been had I ordered what I wanted. I got a custom color, a custom neck size and custom frets. All of those would have been up charges for a Fender. I went for a VERY light relicing (actually I wanted NOS but Nash wouldn't do that, not his thing). The guitar still totally smokes. This WAS back when he was taking individual orders.

6. dave s

dave s Member

I've had one Nash and two Fender CS products. The Nash is gone and the fenders are still here.

Honestly, I don't think they match up well against Fender CS products. My impression of Nash guitars is partscaster with really good pickups.

Like another poster stated, it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison MOSTLY due to price point.

Nash builds a fantastic guitar for the money. The question is, do you want to pay double for perceived quality/value and go with a Fender CS product?

dave

7. Fu78

Fu78 Member

I'm in consumer and player standpoint. I've many friends target around $2k budget want to get a vintage single coil guitar for blues to rock. Lowest price to get best sound. Which one good for me?
    Why many people choice Fender compare with Nash (not suhr, tyler or other)? because I think both same as for Vintage Reissue outlook and sound.

8. thesooze

thesooze Member

A lot of money for the Fender name. Nothing wrong with a great partscaster and nothing wrong with an age-old, tried and true company... just different animals... keep in mind that those masterbuilts and the Nashes both have someone looking over it personally and professionally setting it up... it's just Bill is not from Fender so his prices are half.

Futhermore, a guy like Chris at K-Line is putting out some KILLER stuff, but is still less known than Nash... so his prices are even lower-- it's just the way things go.

9. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I don't get the idea of calling Nash guitars "partscasters." Fenders are "partscasters," too, no? -- only the parts are assembled in a factory that says "Fender" on it. Nash's guitars are parts assembled in his own workshop. They're all made out of "parts." If by "partscaster" folks mean a guitar assembled by an amateur, well, from what I've heard, Bill Nash isn't an "amateur."

Sunstone Recordings likes this.
  10. DonM

DonM Member

fenders CS - keeps getting better - even the relic work is far better then it was last year at NAMM - the 50's details are more true to life then ever too. Junior Watson even liked the Duncan CS Shop bridge on the Esquire he played at a Jam- up on the cool stage in the Fender CS Booth..
    price wise these are still too high for what they are - making the Nash hard to blow out of the water.

Partscasters.... or real Fender?? -- I'd probably try to bear in mind.. once Leo left the building/earth; as did Elvis - it only leaves a Tribute in its/his place... FMIC may own the Man's last name to plaster on guitars - But Leo left in mid 60's-- and it will never - ever be The Real Fender or Real Elvis again! - just a tribute Company or Tribute band. - I've seen fine ones at that - but still its a tribute..

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I heard the Nash bodies were imports by WD, allparts or some similar body maker.

Edit: I have no proof so it may be pure speculation. I could have sworn I read a thread on this somewhere.

12. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

The difference being that Fender makes their guitars start to finish. They craft their own bodies and necks.

Examples such as Nash and K-Line do not make their own bodies and necks (as far as I understand from reading their websites). They buy them from Fender licensed suppliers.

I personally don't hold that against Nash and K-line. But I believe that is the technical difference as to why some call them partscasters.

13. ricoh

ricoh Member

I just put together my first partscaster and have a few fender CS models and a DeTemple as well as a vintage Tele.
    All I can say is that each guitar has a different thing to it. Is one the best ? Each has it's own thing . All of them are resonant and play extremely well too. Besides paint, putting together a parts guitar is not really a big deal. Granted I could not cut the nut but the rest was no problem. Building a guitar from raw wood ..........that is another story entirely.

just-joshin-ya likes this.
  14. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

"I cant agree. Even though Fender has some quality issues their cs works are much better imho than a parts guitar with relicing. I like the nash's but I think your comparing apples to oranges here."

If we can get by the name on the headstock and whether it was crafted in one building or an amalgamation of parts, we will get to the truth. I will get blasted for this I am sure. I REALLY wanted to make myself get into the Fender Custom shop models. I played many of them. Guess what, not a single one played or sounded any better than a $400 MIM model to me. That is not to say that there are not good ones out there. I did not find any that were worth even one half of the asking price in my quest. I tried a Nash and it payed well and sounded great! I had read reviews and opinions on this site both blasting and praising them. "Relicing" aside, it was a great guitar. That is what I now have. I personally do not need it to say Fender on the headstock to THINK it is a good guitar. If the Custom Shop Fenders say something to you then jump on it, but if you are looking for a guitar that sounds good and plays well- try a Nash.......

15. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

16. uvacom

uvacom Member

I understand you may not have any personal objection, but if you would play devil's advocate - What is the tangible difference between somebody assembling parts that came from different divisions of a single company and somebody assembling parts that came from different companies?

17. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

18. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

19. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

20. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

LOL! You must have got ahold of some real turds, because the worst CS strat I ever played easily bested a mim strat.