Nashville Bridges: To Notch or Not To Notch

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jdsgilmour, Aug 15, 2006.

1. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

That is the question. I've seen some notched and some not notched. Is notching really necessary? I ask because I'm about to replace my Nashville bridge with either a Pigtail or TonePros and am curious if I need to have them notched (or just buy the pre-notched TonePros)?

Thanks.

John

2. LaXu

LaXu Member

You mean the saddles? Well you'll have to either let the strings grind a path for themselves or do it yourself if the saddles are unnotched. I'd do it myself because then you can be sure the saddle slots are formed in the right place.

3. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

supposedly the gibson factory just takes a hammer and hits the string to make the notches, or something like that. I did that to a tone pros and it works - the strings don't come out of the notch. I suppose the more professional thing to do would be to have a set of files and radius the bottom and make it look nice.

4. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

You have to notch the saddles no matter what. If you don't then the strings will roll off. Barely notch them w/ nut files. The reason they make them un-notched is because so many guitars especially Gibsons, The necks are set in crooked. This way they can center the strings up on the neck.