1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Nashville charts question

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by MikeMcK, May 21, 2011.

1. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

I recently started playing with a guy who suggested we write everything out using Nashville charts (for when he adds musicians). I'm no expert but I thought I knew how Nashville charts work, so I agreed to do it.

I was stumped in a minute when I sat down to write out Dylan's "Lay Lady Lay". Assuming it's in A, how do you write the G chord in numbered notation? It's not a VII, is it?

2. mthomps

mthomps Member

I always thought it was just the number of the chord you were on in the key. So if it's in A and the chord is G you just write b7.

3. MikeMcK

OK, that makes sense... just wasn't sure if it was that simple. Thanks.

4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Grad school is when you understand"go to the twenty-five then fourteen fifteen"
    That's Nashville talk.

5. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I remember country players using this system when I was recording engineer in Dallas. It has been a long time, but I think I recall for a V7 chord they would "57"

But as I thought I remembered it they used standard music theory for the nomenclature of the chords, and then just turned them into whole numbers - for example a

I6 chord (a I chord with the third in the bass) became a "16". I think people are going to tell me I am wrong, but that was how I remembered it. I also recall I had no problem following what they were saying with my music theory background, as long as you know scales.

A conversation in the key of C about whether a chord was an E-major or C with the third in the bass would be "Is that a 3-Major or a 16?" And of course a G9 chord was a "59".

But that is just my memory, and it could be wrong.

6. MikeMcK

Thanks... I did it, just wasn't sure if 'b' or '#' was the correct way to denote accidentals in these charts.

Cruisemates: if a C with a third under it was a 16 (in C) , how would they write denote a C6 chord (C-E-G-A)? Or is there a slash in there to denote the bottom note?

7. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

That works too but I've heard it used in sessions as a shorthand for chord progressions. C F C G is called a 'fourteen fifteen'. Dm G is a 'twenty-five'. {these are verbal instructions}
    I'm not sure if the books on the Nashville system get into this.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  8. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

All the Nashville charts I've seen (and that's quite a few after 30 years) use a vertical fraction of 1/3 for a tonic chord with the third in the bass. They just use the number of the scale degree.
    So in the key of C, an F with a third in the bass is 4/6 but written vertically.
    Horizontally the slash would mean a split bar, two beats 4 (F) two beats 6 (A). They would call out "four split six"
    For A minor, they specify A- or A minor.

The other interesting thing is a song in a minor key, the tonic is named 6- even if the chorus doesn't go to the relative major 1.
    Just a few tidbits there, that's in no way a full lesson in the number system.