Nashville Female Trios - New Trend or Am I the Last to Know?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cvansickle, Oct 19, 2018.

1. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

In the past eight years or so, it seems a lot of female trio-fronted groups are emerging from Nashville. Of course, I like how all these groups look but I certainly enjoy the sounds too. Is this something new from out of The Gulch, or has this format always been popular in Music City?

First one I found was Pistol Annies. They get an obvious notice due to Miranda Lambert, but I remember falling in love with a duet that Ashley Monroe (the other blonde) did with Ronnie Dunn in the early 2000s and I'm happy to see her stepping up too. Angaleena Presley has a monster voice as well.

Then there's Post Monroe, who started as a trio but dropped to a duo when Shelby McLeod left, leaving Ashlee Hewitt and Whitney Duncan to carry on. Duncan had a couple of solo albums herself back around 2010, before her appearance as a contestant on Survivor.

The latest trio to catch my ears and eyes is Kitty Hawk. I met multi-instrumentalist Megan Mullins at the 2006 Summer NAMM show, and I've followed her career all the way through to the Tennessee Hot Damns. Like Mullins, Bassist Annie Clements has played with a who's who in country music. The pleasant new surprise for me in this ensemble is singer/guitarist Annie Bosko. I was lucky enough to be in Nashville for business last week and caught their performance at the Hutton Hotel's Analog bar. Very impressive this group, with a clutch sense of humor too.

Hope y'all enjoy this kind of thing as much as I do!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    tribalfusion likes this.
  2. Dasein

Dasein Member

As with all things, you gotta remember music is a business. I hate that this is life, but I was talking to a fellow business owner who recently closed down a small coffee shop that was setup in the lobby of a building with several businesses in it. The owner/operator said to me "I wouldn't have had to close it if I had boobs". Basically - knowing that having a pretty young girl/woman running the place was necessary to draw the employees that worked in the building out of their offices to go down to the lobby for coffee (vs drinking coffee in their own office equipped kitchens and lunchrooms). As a guy - he just couldn't draw them out. (the model was owner/operator so it wouldn't have been viable for him to hire a woman because the scale of business would not have supported that.)

So Country chick trios --- That's 3x's the boobies for guys to get excited about and for women to compare themselves to. An important element -- with 3 women in a trios, as long as the women in the audience have one member they feel they look better than, and one member they can identify with (or as) then you've got your hook for the female fan-base. Guys just like boobies (at least the guys who listen to country chick trios do).

MoarGear and Guitar Stu like this.
  3. cvansickle

I don't completely buy the "boobies" angle. Perhaps that would explain everything, if there were some sort of country Kim Fowleyesque Svengali calling the shots. These groups I mentioned are made up of empowered women, not puppets. In the case of Kitty Hawk, they happen to be accomplished musicians to boot.

4. (Something)

(Something) Supporting Member

Not a trio, but I really enjoyed mmhmm the last time I was in Nashville. Half the group is Willie Nelson’s granddaughter

5. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Ronstadt, Harris and Parton
    Dixie Chicks

6. Coli

Coli Supporting Member

Most are probably “arranged”/ last time I did the downtown shuffle, it seemed like all performers were current Belmont students

Btw, I really dug the Trishas... not sure if that was a Nashvegas trio or Austin product

7. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

8. cvansickle

There's more - Runaway June:

Honey County:

The Adelaides, although I believe they're from England:

And sister act Southern Halo:

tribalfusion likes this.
  9. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

I enjoy the Quebe Sisters with their Western swing style:

beanbass, therhodeo and Bob Maximus like this.
  10. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Be Good Tanyas
    Shook Twins (OK, their a duo)
    The Wailin' Jennys
    I'm with Her

beanbass likes this.
  11. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

They're extremely good at what they do. A much more organic formation and career than you typical Nashville test tube trio.

tribalfusion likes this.
  12. Jason UP

Jason UP Supporting Member

As mentioned, I'm With Her....and they're phenomenal. Maybe not "Nashville" haha but still....we're talking girl trios :) Saw them live last month. Some serious musicality and vocal chops. I'm a harmony pig, and check out The Staves from the other side of the pond. Beautiful stuff. Or maybe I'm just into chicks from Northern England...

13. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

I saw the Chicks open for Jerry Jeff Walker at a University of Texas alumni event in '98 . . . Natalie told the crowd to be on the lookout for their first video.

I remember thinking, "Damn those girls are fine and can they can really play, too!"

BTW, they're currently working on their first new album in 13 years. Sounds like a good time for a comeback.

14. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

15. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

I'm not sure you completely understand how this entertainment industry works. There are four sides to the base of the entertainer's pyramid: Youth, looks, instrumental talent, and performance talent. You gotta make up a lot with the others if one of those sides falls short. When you open your wallet looking at your foldin' money, boobs are like hundred dollar bills.
    My ex, who speaks 4 languages and has a doctorate, looked like Jessica Rabbit with a boob job, was the one who related to me, this fact about social media pages and websites: "tits get hits".
    I didn't make this world we're living in, but that's what it is.

16. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

17. stevel

stevel Member

I guess most don't remember the Barbara Mandrell Show and the Mandrell Sisters!

But yeah, I'd say you're late to the game.

The Dixie Chicks sort of started the trend again in the then just forming "modern country" scene.

I've been in a band for a year that had been around long before me and they play a number of Dixie Chick (and Miranda Lambert) country songs and Pistol Annies was in their set.

I don't listen to any of this stuff so unless the artists are the level the Dixie Chicks got to, I won't ever hear of them, but as soon as I saw Pistol Annies I was like, "Oh, Dixie Chicks descendants".

FWIW, if there are any technical reasons beside sex (Blonde, Brunette, Redhead, variety of types to appeal to people) that the Trio is a more common format are likely that vocal harmonies in 3 parts are a standard, and that if one member quits it's easier to replace them than in a duo situation - one of a duo leaves and it could be the end of the duo, but one of a trio is a little easier to get by with and keep the money rolling in.

18. cvansickle

Your explanation holds some water, but if it is in fact what it is, explain why Bro Country became so popular. Female artists like Faith Hill and Shania Twain were everywhere on radio and CMT in the 90s and early 00s. Why did the appeal of these kinds of artists disappear?

Vintage_ likes this.
  19. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Hill and Twain both remain quite popular but the reason they seemed to drop out of sight was self-imposed. Twain even did a farewell tour, that wasn't quite "farewell", but both pulled back from the the machine in several ways. Hill held back on releasing an album for a stretch because she didn't feel it was ready.
    Bro Country? More than one thing can be popular at one time, unfortunately.

20. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

Ya, it's been around for a little bit ;)

Music goes thru its own ebbs and flows. I think bro Country got so popular because it's more like pop-rock with a country vibe just as a backdrop. The sex sells thing cuts both ways imo.