Nashville tuning

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gtrfinder, Jan 31, 2008.

1. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Member

What string gauges are typically used for nashville tuning on an acoustic guitar?
    Is there any danger in leaving the guitar setup for Nashville tuning for long periods of time?

2. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

can you explain Nashville tuning to me. thanks

AJ

3. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Member

Here is how I understand it so far:
    Replace your low E, A, and D strings with lighter gauge strings and tune back to standard.

4. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Member

5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life

For what it's worth, I had a Seagull A6 strung Nashville tuning for several years, and I had no problems at all when I restrung it normally.

Just think what gauges would be used for the closest open string an octave higher than the one you are replacing and go with it.

You are actually decreasing overall string tension, so there's no risk of pulling the bridge up or anything like that.

6. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

In nashville tuning, your high E and B are tuned as you normally would, but the other 4 strings(E,A,D,G) are tuned an octave higher than normal. The purpose of nashville tuning is basically trying to simulate a 12 string w/ only 6 strings...even when playing the most basic chords you can create some very interesting overtones and harmonic structures. Check it out, it can be a lot of fun and inspire some great song ideas.

7. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

If you get a set of 12 string strings and use the appropriate octave's it will work. You'll wind up with some extra strings also. That's what I've done before. Some people call this "high strung tuning" instead of Nashville tuning.

8. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Nashville is replacing 3,4,5 & 6 with the octaves from a 12-string set. (1 octave higher.)

High Strung is that plus you replace the low E with another plain .011 so the 6 string becomes 2 octaves higher than normal. (See David Gilmour on Comfortably Numb. He describes the 2 in a GW article .)

9. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Taking the higher half of a 12 string set will work nicely. One of mine has been that way for a while now. Sounds great!

10. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    love the sound of nashville tuning. you'd be surprised how many recordings have a nashville tuned guitar in the mix (Stones' "Wild Horses", Floyd's "Wish You Were Here".... i'd love to have a separate acoustic just for Nashville tuning and get it somewhat set up for it....

the guitar should be fine even if you leave it in nashville tuning for a while....

11. James

James Member

Love Nashville/High-Strung tuning.

Here's my little trick (if you can call it that): Get a cheap Martin Backpacker guitar for Nashville/High-Strung tuning. (Or a similar, but nicer guitar would be a Vagabond Travel guitar). There's no bass there anyway, so the small body complements the sound of the tuning.

Now I want a Vagabond...Gah!

:RoCkIn

James

12. lakesider

lakesider Member

you can also just get a light gauge of acoustic strings and toss the low E and A.

start with what was supposed to be the D string and put it in the low E position. Get an extra B and E string (the gauge you usually use) for the B and high E

Cheap guitars can sound great for hi string.
    Find a cheap acoustic. set it up that way. Leave it so you can reach for it when you need it.

13. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

A Papoose works really well for this, or just higher guitar parts in particular.