• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Natalie Maines explains whats wrong with Country music

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcmark611

A quote from a Rolling Stone article.

"I just didn't like how blatant country music was. Nothing seemed poetic or subtle. Nothing could be interpreted two different ways." (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ixie-chick-declares-war-on-nashville-20130530)

I couldn't agree more. The music these guys are making is pretty great, but then it gets ruined with lyrics that leave nothing to interpretation. You can mistake what they are talking about in these songs. I realize country music has been doing this for years, but it seems like it's worse than ever.

Anyways, country music has great music, horrible lyrics.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
it was an interesting article, amazed at how low profile she's been

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
I don't care for her voice at all. I watched the clip with Ben Harper of 'Faith'.

Polynitro

unambiguous lyrics are one of the last things about modern country that still resembles country. Get rid of that and its called pop or soft rock.

tell Merle Haggard his lyrics are crap. good luck with that lol.

Fatherflot

. James Taylor can write 'Fire and Rain' and tell you it's about a mental institution, this and that – and you listen to it, and you're trying to decipher it all. And, you know, a country song would be like [sings twangily], 'I'm in a mental institution!' "
:spit

ukslinger

Its all about bragging about how country you are. Or how country your girlfriend is. Or how you do country things, ect....

Scooter

Silver Supporting Member
I'm hard pressed to come up with any metaphors for beer, pickups, and huntin'.

rongtr1

To be quite honest, that is what turned me off to country music right from the gate.
Johnny Cash had his battles with the country mainstream and no radio support for his last few albums as well-yet he's in the Country Music Hall of Fame. I agree that today's Country is some great music paired with idiotic lyrics, but Johnny was definitely the exception to the rule.

I read the article...I always respected her for speaking her mind and not backing down...was a bit bummed when she apologized for the political rant in london...

but the impression I always had (and I DO like Dixie chicks music) of NM was she was NOT a country singer, but when the sisters came a callin, she agreed to pretend to be so they could cash in...now that the gravy train is done, she can come out and tell everyone she hates country...meh...i really dont know how to take what she says, I only half believe her

pitbull45

Quote:
. James Taylor can write 'Fire and Rain' and tell you it's about a mental institution, this and that – and you listen to it, and you're trying to decipher it all. And, you know, a country song would be like [sings twangily], 'I'm in a mental institution!' "

Yeah but Porter Wagoner's Rubber Room although leaving nothing to interpretation is still a dynamite and spooky song.

Scott Miller

Nothing seemed poetic or subtle. Nothing could be interpreted two different ways.
And thank goodness for that. As much as I like Leonard Cohen songs, I like songs about beer too.

As for subtle, how about:

I was just a lad, nearly twenty-two
Neither good nor bad, just a kid like you

Or poetic:

The silence of a falling star
Lights up a purple sky

8raw

She sounds like she's bitter and spoiled. Hang with your notable neighbors and discuss your vapid existence.

As for country, good country, old school country, the lyrics describe the human condition with feeling. As for "new country", it's as silly as your average rap lyric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom