National or Gibson Resonator?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by midnight1959LP, Feb 1, 2015.

1. midnight1959LP

midnight1959LP Member

Hello All,
    I'm looking for some help and opinions here, I'm looking at a National Resophonic Style O 14 fret and a Resorocket, and a mid 2000's Gibson Dobro spider bridge brass body guitar. All are used and the Nationals are higher priced than the Gibson by 4 or 500. I haven't played any of them but i have an approval time.
    Just wondered if there were opinions in the Gibson quality in comparison..
    Also, the standard style O is great but i've heard a lot of people who like the resorocket in comparison.
    thanks for the help,
    -mike

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i have a '90s gibson hula blues (12-fret wood body, biscuit cone) that's pretty darn cool, but every new national i've seen has been a significantly better instrument.

3. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

I haven't played many Gibson-era Dobros, but my understanding is that they're not as highly regarded as the OMI era ones. Certainly, the OMI Dobros from the '70s and '80s are fantastic instruments that can be found for very good prices.

The real question is whether you want a biscuit bridge or a spider bridge; they're totally different sounds. From what I can tell looking at the National website, the only substantial difference between the O and the Reso Rocket N is the cutaway.

4. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

As already said, as a first step you have to know what you want. Big sound difference in sound between a steel body biscuit bridge guitar and a wood body spider bridge guitar.

Other than that, I would not buy any kind of Gibson resonator. And when it comes to resonators there is pretty much National and then everything else.

5. 56Tweed

56Tweed Sub-Octave Member Silver Supporting Member

I've played a few of the Gibson's over the years and like the Fender ones, they always felt more like toys than instruments. I found them hard to play so if I'm putting all of my effort into fighting the instrument, it gets in the way of playing the music. I would make sure you are happy with whatever you buy, and honestly $400-500 more for a much better instrument isn't much to worry about.

6. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

What do you really care what others like. They are not the ones who will be playing it. Once upon a time before the internet and forums and when about the only magazines you had were Downbeat and Sing Out, the only way to pick a guitar was to go out and play a bunch. Not sure it can be improved upon.

7. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

There is a difference in sound between the O and brass resorocket (resorocket N), but the sound difference is not nearly as big as the appearance difference. The steel resorocket is a whole 'nother ball game.

If you want a cutaway pursue a brass resorocket. If you want a very traditional look, pursue a 12 fret style O. If you want tradition but don't like 12 frets, pursue the 14 fret O. If you don't care either way about the traditional look, number of frets, and don't have feelings either way on the cutaway, keep an eye out for all of them and jump when you find a good deal on either one.

And if you do want a spider bridge like those gibsons, National makes those too. Not my cup of tea, but they build a nice spider. There are very very very good spiders from other companies too. Gibson isn't on that list.

8. davebc

davebc Member

Miss my tri cone national big time!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
    That thing sounded like the wind howlin through the Delta!
    I'll have another one day!!

Go National!!:dude

9. Ramblin' Ghost

Ramblin' Ghost Member

Check out Mule Resophonics. Just for kicks. I love mine.

10. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Still looking for an opportunity to hold one. It's not rocket science. Consistent parts and attention to detail is all it takes. I have nothing but high hopes for Mule!

11. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Member

This.