Native Instrument Guitar Rig

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jzucker, Sep 6, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I notice they've knocked $100 off the price now. They're either getting ready for 2.0 or discontinuing it. I would assume the sales on that to be low. Unfortunately, NI does not have any presence on their own web forum. Anyone know anything?

P.S.

Listened to the Waves GTR demo and was not impressed

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

3. Orren

Orren Member

Anyone who knows anything is under NDA not to say anything. And of course anyone who does talk, is either breaking confidence, or lying. :)

But as a computer music writer, I can tell you this semi-public information: sales have been very good, so I don't think it would make much sense to discontinue the product.

I have no idea how NI or retailers handle there prices, but maybe they simply decided that in a competitive marketplace with new competition either here (Waves) or on the way (Amplitube 2.0), they needed a more competitive price? I don't think a price change necessarily spells doom or upgrade.

Orren

4. elambo

elambo Member

I have no insider info, but my guess is that they're trying to compete. At $500, it was a bit high. With $100 taken off it's more attractive.

I've heard that it was a good seller also.

5. jzucker

Well - They're going to lose their customer base by not participating in their own forums. There has been almost no official communication on their forum for months. I think folks are starting to jump ship.

P.S.

$500 was the list price. It was $399 discounted though I agree at $299 it's going to be an easier sale.

6. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

I have several Native Instruments VSTi's I'm using in Cubase SX-3 and overall they make very good programs. That said, I am still very skeptical of using a computer interface with my guitar. I can't come to grips with using a mouse to dial in the sound. I need real knobs and foot pedals. The reviews that I've read say the system is noisy with high gain settings and is best suited with low gain settings. For $400 you can buy a GT-8 or a XTL.

My 2 cents

7. jzucker

I have no problem with tweaking with a mouse. The GT-8's sounds are awful compared to Guitar Rig. Not sure what XTL is so I can't comment. Guitar Rig is noisy for higher gain tones and also just plain doesn't sound great for high gain tones but its clean tones are much better than any of the other modelers as is its spring reverb and the speaker emulation is an order of magnitude better.

If they'd add a better plexi marshall and a dumble pedal, it'd be the bee's knees....

8. Orren

Orren Member

I'd also like to see smoother high gain amps in Guitar Rig. Unfortunately, changing a current amp is rarely done. I know from other software I've done beta for that changing the sound of an existing amp is guaranteed to piss off users who have build sounds around the CURRENT tone. Nobody wants their favorite preset that they've built around the Plexi to sound different. It's more likely they'll simply add more amps, and that hopefully, they'll sound better.

BTW--I found the "Rock Amp Legends" plug-in from Nomad Factory has a very cool Marshall Super Lead (and that's it, really).

Orren

9. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

The XTL is the Line6 XT-Live. With either the XTL or the GT-8, most all of the factory presets suck. Both units are capable of really good sounds. It just takes a little tweaking.

10. jzucker

If the rendering engine is same as the POD XT, Guitar Rig blows it away for clean tones and spring reverb emulation as well as most effects.

I've owned the POD XT, the Vox Tonelab and several other hardware units. I've actually spent quite a lot of time editing tones on all of them. I'd never use the factory presets as most are just demos of the effects.

The vox tonelab has the best distorted marshall tones of any of the modeling preamps. If the clean sounds were any good at all I'd still be using the Vox.

I'd rather have good cleans though so I went with Guitar Rig.

I've recommended to NI that they check out the Vox plexi tones. Not sure how much of it has to do with the 12ax7 though...

11. elambo

elambo Member

Right - I was posting the list price.

And I couldn't agree more with the problems at Native Instruments with regard to customer support. It's not just a vacancy from their own forum that bothers me. I've had terrible suppost via email OR phone. This was 6 months ago so it might be better now (but I doubt it).

Clean tones are great. Distortion is not so great. I don't think more poor distortion emulators will help - they need to rework the basic engine so that heavy tones don't turn cheezy when you crank the gain as they do now.

12. Unburst

Unburst Member

This will get you into Dumble territory with Guitar Rig, if you want that sound.
    Not exact but close enough.

[​IMG]

13. jzucker

Thanks Martin. Can you post a clip and possibly export the preset?

14. Unburst

Unburst Member

No problem, but it'll take me a couple of days to get some free time.