Native Instruments Guitar Rig

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jzucker, Aug 4, 2004.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Are there clips of this anywhere?

I'd like to hear:
    • Nice hollowbody jazz guitar tone
    • Funk Rhythm tone
    • Chunky Stones Rhythm
    • SRV Blues
    • Holdsworthian Fusion
    • Chickin' Pickin

Ed, are you around? :)

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

3. jzucker

Yeah, they sound ok. What scares me is that it sounds like the POD demos which I was extremely disappointed in when I actually got one. I'd like to hear it with some real playing.

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

It sounds way better than a Pod, in fact it's probably the best sounding digital system I've heard.

It will do all those sounds and more, it's *very* tweakable, the problem for you will be the latency.
    Depends on your hardware but there is no good way around it, for basic stuff I wouldn't even mention it but for what you want to do it may be a problem.

I'll see if I can record some clips today and either post them or email you a couple.

5. jzucker

That'd be great! My latest idea is to try to dual track my guitar, one track coming from the boogie studio pre and wet and the other dry going into a red box. Then the latency won't be an issue cuz I could just run the guitar rig after the fact.

However, i'm extremely pleased with the boogie's direct sound with my hollowbody. Not sure I'd want to mess with guitar rig for that. I downloaded the demo but haven't had time to play around with it. I'm also trying to learn adobe premiere and encore....

6. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Jack this is similar to how I use GR.
    I track my coffins, and run a line-out into GR and use the efx and cab sims in there.
    I absolutely love it that way.
    The other day I forgot to turn the mic pres on and was monitoring only through GR and never noticed. There's a new track in the member section where I used GR like...

Suhr Classic into a Demeter fat Control into the Flexi into a Hot plate into an iso cab with a Red fang miked with a Beta 57 into a ****** Art compressor into the TFPro mic pre, another coffin with a V30 miked with a 57 into an old RCA mic pre and 609 into the TF pro mic pre.
    the 57 track had some PCM 84 delay on it.
    The Hot Plates line-out into Guitar Rig with two pitch pedals and the psycho delay and whole bunch of cabs going.
    The DI signal into Guitar rig into an Plexi->AC30->compressor->cab sims-spring verb.
    All that stuff was send to a submix buss and had compression added via the Digitalfishphones Block Fish.
    And everything had a bit of room ambiance added.
    Thank god for templates and prests.
    it took about 15 minutes from turning the gear on to uploading the mp3. Even though it sounds way involved.

As for the palmer...mine has dust bunnies in it!

7. jzucker

Well if you want a 2nd opin on the Palmer, I'll be happy to lend one! I'll go check out your latest clip.

8. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Nice try... I use the Palmer in my studio rig when I come across less than competent engineers. So, it won't go anywhere.

9. jzucker

:eek:

You gotta admit it was a worth a shot;)

10. Unburst

Unburst Member

Jack-I posted a fusion clip in the soundclip section, I'll try and record some clean stuff later.

11. jzucker

Who's got the cheapest price?

12. fusionid

fusionid Supporting Member

sale update price today ;)

13. SteveO

SteveO Member

NI is running an upgrade sale all month. I'm going to grab the Komplete 8 Ultimate upgrade while it's still relatively cheap.

14. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Komplete 8 Ultimate is worth its price... Soooo many great sounds!

15. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

Holy Necro-thread, Batman!

16. taez555

taez555 Member

If you're going to buy Guitar Rig, you might as well just buy Komplete 8 (If not Ultimate, at least get the regular)

It's worth it alone of the price of Massive, or Kontact, or all the all the pianos, the organs, the bass, the keys, the orchestra instruments, the drums, etc, etc.. Seriously, one of the best deals around.

As for Guitar Rig. It will never replace a real guitar amp(maybe many years down the road), but in the right mix and with the right settings it can sound damn close.

I actually use it alot just for the effects when mixing real guitars. Those delays, verbs and other guitar effects sound great by themselves.

17. disfrontman

disfrontman Member

I use Guitar Rig for recording. I have the Rig Kontrol and have played out live with it as well, but when doing so I lived in mortal fear that some clod would trip over the USB cable and send my MBP crashing to the ground (me being the "clod" most likely to cause the catastrophe!) so I've since retired it from live use.

I should add that I tend to use GR and/or any preamp model (digital or analog) in conjunction with Redwirez IRs (instead of the stock ones in GR). They are stupid cheap for what you get: a great value with tons of flexibility. To my ears, the tone imparted by the cab/speaker/mic type/mic position configuration is the most important factor in distorted guitar sounds. A crappy analog preamp pedal or poor digital sim can still sound pretty realistic if run through a well-crafted mix of great IRs.

18. fusionid

I see, what I really care about is how is the tape delay?

taez, do you use it much for mixing?

thanks

19. taez555

taez555 Member

I do actually use it quite a bit for mixing. Especially for guitar parts. If I have normal mic'd guitar tracks, I'll usually grab the delays and reverbs from GR first before using any of the other plugins from my DAW.

It has 6 different guitar delays(which sounds crazy, since it's just a delay). But they're all are unique and sound great. The tape delay is actually one it's best features. I swear sometimes I think it's an Eventide.

20. fusionid

Taez,

I like your strat very much. You record mostly using a Vintage 30 speaker? I used them on a 2x12 cab for more than 10 years but recently changed to a wizard eminence. Similar sound, just a bit different