Naturally driving a deluxe reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bear Detective, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Bear Detective

Bear Detective Member

I'm looking to get a fender deluxe reverb and was curious about overdriving it. One of my favorite sounds to get on my Marshall Tsl602 is putting the gain all the way up on the clean channel for a little breakup then I turn on the MXR micro amp all the way up, it gets this really sweet warm natural tube overdrive going that is very reminiscent of live jimmy page kind of tones, then I'll use a compressor or od11 to drive it further if I need some serious saturation.

So my real question is, can I at reasonable volumes (without an attenuator) get the deluxe reverb to overdrive using this or a similar method?(basically just boosting the input volume so much it can't handle it) I'm sure I could get decent overdrive tones using a pedal designed to emulate cranked amps, but I'm interested in just coaxing it out of the tubes.

2. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    That depends on what you consider reasonable volumes. At home volume? Probably not. But it should be where you want it on stage, maybe even a little too loud. The overdrive is going to be much different than your Marshall though. One tip for anyone doing this is to use a pedal with some EQ options so you can dial back the bass. DRs tend to be a little loose in the low end already, and if you're really goosing the input it's going to be worse.

3. auratnik

auratnik Member

I'm using ThunderTomate FA1 booster clone, I bought original Boss FA1 and he made me the exact copy (original transistors etc...) with switch and led light.... it's killer pedal because you can compensate with the loose in the low end. Very effective and it sounds killer!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bear Detective

Bear Detective Member

Thank you for the advice, obviously it will be different than the Marshall though, which is a good thing, I'm not getting rid of the Marshall. I guess reasonable volume on it would be like 3-4 for practicing, maybe 6 for jamming with a band, it certainly gets really loud.
    So it will be able to be pushed like my Marshall is though? I guess I'm just worried that it has too much headroom and I'll just make it louder instead of overdriving it with this method.

5. Improviser

Improviser Member

I've found the Wampler Black '65 to do very good job at doing what you describe with my own blackface Fenders.

6. dewey decibel

That guy's from Spain, right? I had a chorus pedal from him that I thought was pretty nice, the LED throbbed in time with the chorus which I thought was a great idea.

I like the Timmy for this stuff myself. Use to use a Boss EQ pedal but the Timmy is much nicer.

7. Bear Detective

Bear Detective Member

That's kind of interesting, isn't that pedal supposed to emulate this amp cranked? Is it actually pushing the deluxe reverb or is it just helping get an artificial version of its natural sound?

8. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Jeez, everybody is so pedal-happy these days. A Deluxe Reverb can sound incredible with no help at all. Give that a try first.

9. Bear Detective

Bear Detective Member

Obviously, that's the reason I want to get one, but I can't really turn this up all the way at home, besides I'm just tryin to help it in doing its own thing like I did with my marshall

10. padavis

padavis Member

11. Bear Detective

Bear Detective Member

Cool looking speaker, I'll try to keep that in mind down the road.

12. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I used to run my '68 DR at Volume 7 on stage. Treble at 6 or 7 and Bass at 4. Speaker was a Weber 12F150. Great settings with my '52RI Tele.

13. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I used to have one in my bedroom and would turn it up till my mom yelled at me! If you are really concerned about volume check it out something like the Zvex Nano amp in a speaker cab. It sounds fat but isn't much louder than a dreadnought acoustic guitar.

14. Onioner

Onioner Member

15. urizen

urizen Member

RE: Kmaz's advice, I guess I've got to wonder if the OP is talking about a DR, or a DRRI? I've got one of the originals from the first year of production ('63 1/2), albeit w/ a Vintage 30 (per Billy Z's rec... the original was already through its second recone); I've got (and w/out knowing if a DRRI is that similar to the original, I'm assuming the OP will start getting) overdrive w/ the vol around 6, so you reset the eq like Kmaz suggests. That's what we did to beat the "looseness" BITD, albeit the V30 tightened it up a bit.

Try the dry side (the 'verb's out of the chain) against the wet, and see what you prefer (reverb's going to impact your drive differently, and you might prefer the dry side better for OD)----and you might try jumping the two sides together.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  16. Bear Detective

Bear Detective Member

Yeah the reissue, I am a student and poor. What do you mean exactly by jumping the two sides?

17. dewey decibel

He means plugging into one channel and then taking a cable from that channel to the other channel (each channel has two inputs). This increases the gain. I wouldn't recommend it on a Deluxe Reverb, but it's good on a tweed Deluxe or any non-reverb Deluxe.

18. Bear Detective

Bear Detective Member

Okay, I was aware of doing that on plexis but nowhere else, how does that even work anyways?

19. urizen

urizen Member

20. willyboy

willyboy Member