Navigation/GPS: Anyone use their Phone ONLY?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by NBlair930, Jun 2, 2015.

1. NBlair930

NBlair930 Silver Supporting Member

I am looking at leasing a new car and the cost for the built-in OEM Navigation/GPS is crazy expensive, especially for a vehicle I do not own. The monthly payment will be significantly less if I do not get the Navigation. I know in "the old days" all of my cars did not have Navigation/GPS and I survived. Plus, the Navigation apps on my iPhone do a great job, but the screen is small in comparison.

Curious if anyone has recently opted NOT to get GPS in their new car and rely ONLY on their phone for Navigation? Do you regret it?

2. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

I've never had a car with GPS, phone works fine, though I don't use it much.

3. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

Nav on a phone is a data hog. If you have an unlimited data plan, go for it...

4. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I do use my phone. I'm a no limit data soldier so I don't need to worry

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I use a Magellan unit that attaches to the windshield. Seems easier to use and see than a phone, plus doesn't drain the phone battery or eat data.

6. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

I still have unlimited data, and love using Waze to get around traffic, but I still haven't found an iOS GPS app that has all the features and functionality of my Garmin. If the Google Maps app would actually sync with all my custom maps and routes online it would go a long way towards that goal, but so far after years Google still hasn't seen fit to add any of that to the iOS app. :mad:

7. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

Still doesn't sound like I can load in all of my custom maps and routes that I have access to via the website... :(

But, offline support -- if you have space on the internal drive for the map data -- will be a boon to those with limited data plans (which is probably most people, I know I'm grandfathered in on the unlimited data w/ AT&T).

8. standard24

standard24 Member

I buy used GPS at pawn shops. (I have 5 cars.) The Garmin LM models, have lifetime map updates. usually spend $25-$35 for one.

9. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

Yep, I only use my phone.

It's nice because you can give Siri voice commands to get directions while you're driving. Totally hands-free.

10. GGinMP

GGinMP Supporting Member

I've been on several trips in the mountains where there's no phone service, and therefore no data and my phone GPS didn't work. I have a Garmin GPS that was under $150 new with free lifetime maps and traffic.

sanrico likes this.
  11. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I find all the built-in nav units to look very Windows 95, and map updates are very expensive. I would pass. A good Garmin is far better than any of the built-ins I have seen and also better than the apps I have tried on my phone.

12. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Convergence is where it's at. Yes, I only use my phone.

13. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Garmin NUVI for us.

The phone based GPS apps are slow depending on your signal, and as others have pointed out, a drain on both your data and battery.

14. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I use Waze for iPhone every day.

15. sanrico

sanrico Member

I wish I could just use my phone, but the tracking is slow, and the reliability of the GPS function is spotty when I'm out of cell range. I use GPS a lot for camping and 4x4 activities, so I need something more reliable. I use Garmin Nuvi 2555 and like it a lot.

16. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

You can use a nav app with "offline maps" feature such as the Tom Tom app, etc... no cell data needed when in the car.

17. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

Phone only, and I have a factory one in the Mazda. Stand alone GPS units seem pretty much obsolete to me.

18. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I have Factory GPS and NAV in both my cars...
    I rarely use it.

I use my phone, it's better. ;)

19. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

My girlfriend has unlimited data with her iPhone 6+ so we use that. It's much more smoother than the built in GPS. Plus, the ability to give voice commands is a nice bonus.