Naylor amp dynamics

buddastrat

there's a few recent threads on looking for amps that clean up with the volume pot. This is just a quick iphone on the way this 40 watt Naylor amp responds with the volume knob, how it can give me a lot of variations and still keep some chime when I roll down. Amp has a lot more gain than this, but I usually back it down. Using less of that hairy stuff in my old age, ha..

buddastrat

Sweet! sounds great and cleans up exceptionally well.
thanks! I'd like to do another one of these, can get more extreme from a heavier sound to a clean one, and all on same pickup. almost comical how it can cover such a range from the input and touch... really love this amp.

Last edited:

northfortyrecords

Silver Supporting Member
Sure sounds good rolled back like that in the Ledbetter style.
Do you have a treble bleed installed ?
Yes I'm interested to know about your guitar and cable. A lot of times, I've found that this capability of being able to roll back the volume so well depends almost entirely on the capacitance of the pickups/cable situation. As mentioned, a treble bleed circuit can get rid of mud when you roll back the volume pot, but I've installed no-load pots on all my guitars now because of their ability to stay clear when the volume pot is rolled back - all without any 'fake brightness' issues. And if it's too bright when full up, all you need to do is close off the tone knob a bit to mellow things out. I swear by this method and I've tried all kinds of treble bleed circuits and '50's wiring' circuits.

northfortyrecords

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah you can buy them at various retailers like here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pote...ender-no-load-250k-solid-shaft-potentiomenter . They will completely eliminate mud in your signal when rolling back the volume, effectively 'opening up' the headroom by preventing a loading down of your pickups. I can't hardly stand to play a guitar without one these days. What good is it to only have 10% usable 'clearness' on your volume pot (regular setup)?

I think back to when I was just starting out on guitar. I heard all these old blues guys saying "oh yeah just crank the tube amp and work the volume knob". So I tried it and I got nothing but mud for about 90% of the knob. So I said screw that and just continued playing my guitar with the volume absolutely wide open at all times - using pedals to get different shades and levels of gain from the amp.

Then about 4 or 5 years ago, I discovered '50's wiring'. This opened the door to exploring other 'no-load' methods, and I've settled on a 375K volume and no-load 250k tone pot for my Strats and Teles. Works for me. Useful for 100% of the volume knob. Now I can crank my amp to the gills and find every shade in between.

GT100

Yeah you can buy them at various retailers like here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pote...ender-no-load-250k-solid-shaft-potentiomenter . They will completely eliminate mud in your signal when rolling back the volume, effectively 'opening up' the headroom by preventing a loading down of your pickups. I can't hardly stand to play a guitar without one these days. What good is it to only have 10% usable 'clearness' on your volume pot (regular setup)?

I think back to when I was just starting out on guitar. I heard all these old blues guys saying "oh yeah just crank the tube amp and work the volume knob". So I tried it and I got nothing but mud for about 90% of the knob. So I said screw that and just continued playing my guitar with the volume absolutely wide open at all times - using pedals to get different shades and levels of gain from the amp.

Then about 4 or 5 years ago, I discovered '50's wiring'. This opened the door to exploring other 'no-load' methods, and I've settled on a 375K volume and no-load 250k tone pot for my Strats and Teles. Works for me. Useful for 100% of the volume knob. Now I can crank my amp to the gills and find every shade in between.
I happen to have one of these 250K no load tone pots on my Tele (50 custom shop pickups).
It came with the guitar as it originally had the N3 noiseless pickups in it.
Long story short.
I was struggling to find the right pickup height all the time until I realized the problem was that no load tone pot. Now I set the pot just off the detent/ no load position and the highs sound much better.

Lloyd

buddastrat

Do you have a treble bleed installed ?
No. I really don't like treble bleeds. They thin out the tone too much to me, at least on the ones I've ever tried. I like the tone to warm up a tad as I roll down because I like the extra highs there for when it's full on dirt so it's more defined.

I wired my strat for H-S-S and run a 250K pot on the bucker with no tone, so it keeps some highs. Works well for clarity through all pickups. I tried a 500K vol. pot several times and in a strat, it's too shrill/harsh for me.

buddastrat

Sounds great! Which model is it?
Thank you much. The amp is a Naylor SC38 combo. dave at Naylor says it's 40 watts, but they like to call it a 38 because it sounds more "club friendly", ha. But just used an iphone 4 to do a video. I think it captured the basic tone tho'.

Reactions: MHG

Trending Topics