Naylor Amps. I need a guide to the mods!

fuzzyguitars

Silver Supporting Member
Looking to purchase a Naylor.

There seems to be a bunch of different mods available.

Can anyone help me out on what they are and what they accomplish?

Really gassing for a either a superdrive 100 or dual 100.

Have placed a call over at Naylor but have not heard back yet.

fuzzyguitars

Silver Supporting Member
G – Class A/AB Switch – switch tube operation to A or AB,
you do not need to be in standby to switch
Class A gives more compression to the sound and is most noticeable in the Dirty channel.
Class AB is more powerful with plenty of low end and a fuller tone.
H+ - Hi Drive with in and out switch on rear of amp,
Extra gain stage in addition to the normal gain the Naylor has, switch in or out as desired.
If the normal gain is full up and you switch in the Hi Gain then it can be too much which can
cause squealing and hi frequency oscillation’s

fuzzyguitars

Silver Supporting Member
J – Full Power / Half Power Switch,
Full Power uses all 4 output tubes developing over 100 watts of output power.
Half Power drops 2 of the 4 output tubes from the circuit developing a little over 50 watts
of output power.
When you switch to half power you do not need to switch your speaker
impedance to a lower Ohm’s setting because the circuit mimic’s that all 4 output tubes
are still connected to the output transformer.....the LED will light indicating this

K – Clean Bandwidth Control,
6 position switch in the clean channel only, switch from a thicker to a thinner tone for more
sparkly hi end, if used in combination with the Bite Switch you can get some very glassy
hi end on the tone.
The switch POP’s when switching so watch your volume when switching
to avoid loud pops in your speakers
. Position 2 is the normal position

L – Density Control,
you do not need to be in standby to use
A resonance filter that adds some low end to the power amp section of the circuit. When
operated with the Bass control you can get some very deep bass or a very thin tone if needed

fuzzyguitars

Silver Supporting Member
M – Spike Switch with level control on switch box,
The circuit uses the FX Loop tube as a boost on the Clean and Dirty channels, use the level
control to vary the amount of boost you desire.....when full up the boost is very powerful
and pushes the output tubes to drive very hard causing some killer distortion if in the Dirty
channel with a good amount of gain

The included TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) cable plugs into the jack on the back of the box and into the
jack in the return level spot on the amp, (
you can only use a TRS cable for this switch
) there
is a 9 volt battery inside the switch box that only operates the On Off LED for the switch
therefore you need to make sure to
keep the switch in the off position when not in use or the
battery will run down
. (The switch will work with a dead battery but the LED will not)

N – Send Level Control, varies the output level of the FX Loop send jack.
For use on some pedal’s that the 1 volt line level of the send jack may cause clipping to the
input of the pedal, (usually cheaper pedals) if used then bring up the output of the pedal to
make up for the loss in gain, if not used then keep the level full up to prevent loss in gain.
One
note
– the Spike Switch is using the FX Loop tube to boost so it also causes the FX send to
jump up as well which can hit pedals hard on their input.....I’m working on a separate FX loop
option to avoid this problem in the future

Torren61

So... you're gonna buy a new amp and then mod it? Why can't they get it right from the start? When did you contact them? Can they explain the mods to you and can they do them before you buy the amp? Why the hell do YOU have to mod a new amp to make it sound the way you want?

I'm not bustin' on you, it just makes no sense to me.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
I recently picked up a Naylor Duel 100. I used to have a Superdrive 60. I recommend the 100 watter. Better master volume and more open sound.
I don't recommend any mods. The amp has a great sound with plenty of beef to it, no need for resonance knob. Half power doesn't sound as good as full power. Gain boost compromises the excellent effects loop. It rox in it's purest form. No need to go messin with a great thing. The rule of KISS applies here. At least that's what I decided for myself. BTW, I've had lots of amps, and the Naylor is one of the best. You'll love it when you get one.

davidespinosa

Silver Supporting Member
Naylor has a "Special Options Menu" -- you can add various options to your amp when it's built. If you ask David King at Naylor, he'll send you a PDF, but Fuzzy has quoted most of it.

Fuzzy is asking which options he should get -- seems like a reasonable question to me.

Fuzzy -- many people here buy used, so they don't lose much money if they resell the amp. You could find a used Naylor, play it for a while, then decide whether you want to order a new one. Once you know the basic tone of the amp, you'd be in a better position to choose options.

riff1006

I just acquired an SD100 via trade with most of these mods and more. I'm still getting to know the amp, but right away I can say it's the most desirable amp I've ever had, at least for me. Not a 1 trick pony, although it's been accused of that. Plenty of gain available and I'm enjoying getting to know the amp. I'm not very good at describing intricacies, but suffice to say I'm thrilled with it!

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
So... you're gonna buy a new amp and then mod it? Why can't they get it right from the start? When did you contact them? Can they explain the mods to you and can they do them before you buy the amp? Why the hell do YOU have to mod a new amp to make it sound the way you want?

Many folks mod amps after they buy them because there's no amp that sounds exactly the way they want. See all of the Jet City and DSL40C threads.

buddastrat

Love my Naylor I don't wish for any mods on mine, but they do offer a TON. Dave is super friendly/helpful and will tell you all about 'em. He sent me a list one time and it was pretty extensive. The amp is so responsive, I love that it's one channel with a great loop. All I need.

mickelodeon

Mods = options from factory. Basic model is offered for purists. Additional options available for those that want more control. Saves purists from complaining about too many knobs while offering options for ppl that like to tweak. Seems like a fantastic idea that more builders should do, IMO.

fandango01

anyone have any opinions on these mods?
I have a Naylor Duel 60 head that David made for me last year. I had him put a flame maple front and the K-Clean switch which I find very useful when I switch between my three main guitars which have different pickup configurations-Les Paul Standard, Suhr Standard Hum Single Single and PRS custom 22 with 3-P90's. I find that option very useful, the master volume on these amps are really good so no need for the 1/2 power switch in my opinion. I also had him add the High Drive Option which I do not really use ...I actually prefer to boost the regular drive channel with an EP Boost if I want something extra...Just call David he is really helpful...here is his cell 214.537.2556

fuzzyguitars

Silver Supporting Member
thanks everyone. .........

or mostly everyone. lol

yes i found the mods that he does.

i did get a chance to speak with dave.

very nice man.

of course he explained how he felt the mods impacted the amp

what do want to know is how real life owners feel about the amp mods.

i did play a sd60 back in the day and liked it very much, but it was in a music store and i dont remember what cab, speakers and what not.

leaning towards a depth mod because i like to fine tune my cabs and speakers and i find that it really helps compensate for the low end differences when i change from greenbacks to v30's.

i like the idea of a footswitchable hi gain boost with a variable gain knob, extra gain stage.

dave also spoke about the k clean being on the entire amp and not just the clean channel. have to talk with him more about that feature.

hey, if anyone is selling one please let me know

thanks.

Trending Topics