Naylor amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hand of Doom, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

anyone have one of these? I have a Super Club 38

I was thinking of replacing the original power tubes. what would you recommend?

Thanks

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I had one for a while. You can get more or less the original type of power tube......Sovtek 5881. Or try what I think are great sounding replacements, Svetlana 6L6's.

3. PhilC

PhilC Supporting Member

I have one and love it for anything bluesman through searing lead. I think it sits in a mix like nothing else. Great great recording amps.

Mine have always sounded best using the Sovtek 5881's. I've tried a lot of different tubes but always come back to that one.

I have some pics of mine at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/phil6380

I got it here off the forum.

4. dale661

dale661 Member

I've tried every 6L6GC and 5881 that has ever been made in my Superdrive 60. I like the SED (Winged =C= Svetlana) 6L6GC's the most.

My preamp has a Telefunken ECC83 in V1, RCA's in V2 and V3 and I run a Chinese 9th Gen in the Phase Inverter. Sometimes I sub a Mullard Ecc83 in V1 for the Telefunken.

As far as new production preamp tubes, the Sovtek 12ax7wb's mate extremely well with everything that I've tried in the power section because the amp was designed around those tubes.

Dale

tritone 6 likes this.
  5. Mark Williams

Mark Williams Gold Supporting Member

I've been a big-time Naylor Amp fan (and Dan Russell & Joe Naylor fan) for a long time. I still have an SC38 that was modified twice, once by Joe Naylor & once by Doug Roccaforte, that has been my gold standard for years. It has caused me to send a great many good amps on their way because I just couldn't be satisfied with anything else (until I got a Dabeck, that is...but that's another story.). I also still have an SD60 that was also Rocca-modded.
    To my ears, there's not a whole lot of sonic difference from one kind of power tube--new or "vintage"--in the Naylors like there seems to be in some other kinds of amps. I have liked, however, the brown "wafer-based" Russian 6L6WGC/5881 (not a "true" 5881) a little better than the rest. I had Russian KT66's in a great SC38 head that I regrettably let go. That one had just a little more headroom than the 5881's & sounded good, too.
    BE SURE YOU HAVE WELL-MATCHED POWER TUBES & THAT THE BIAS IS SET PROPERLY. I caused all kinds of problems in my SD60 when I threw a couple of different power tubes into it that drew too much voltage with the bias set for another pair.
    I've found that, in general, the pre-amp tubes make a lot more difference in the sound of an amp than the power tubes, but, even with the pre-amp tubes, the Naylors don't seem to be as greatly affected as other amps I've had. I have found, though, that new Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH's sound best to me, even over great "vintage" NOS tubes that sound fabulous to me in some other amps.
    I've also found that, while I love them, the Naylor amps can be inconsistent--never bad, but some are better than others. Joe Naylor, in fact, modified my SC38 some years ago because he felt his later amps were improved over the earlier ones.

6. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

7. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

First, thanks to all for your time, I really appreciate it. My amp came with Ruby 5881’s. I bought the amp new in 96 so I think it is about time for a change. I put a pair of GE 6l6 tubes in it a few months ago. I pulled them out of a 65 Bassman. It mellowed the drive a little and sounded a little sweeter to me. But I don’t know a thing about how to bias an amp so I put the Rudy’s back in. I just wanted to see if there would be a difference. I don’t know whether to ship it to someone reputable for an overhaul or just buy some tubes and take it to a local shop.

What do you think of the Naylor speakers? The Naylor speaker in my amp has a lot of mids and gives this really nice woody vocal tone. I have been hooking my amp to a Naylor 2x12 with Greenbacks lately and really loving the tone.

My favorite thing to do is plug in to the Naylor combo and a Germino Classic 45. I use the Naylor 2x12 cab with greenbacks with the Germino set at mild overdrive and set the Naylor 38 with some extra gain. The Germino has a deep bass tone and some sag and bloom when you dig in and the Naylor’s woody vocal tone sings just underneath for a tone that just kills me.

8. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Sangre is awesome. :)

(Izzy)

9. Mark Williams

Mark Williams Gold Supporting Member

Regardless of the speakers, my experience has been that the Naylor Amps sound A LOT better when run to a speaker cabinet compared to using the combo (several of my Naylors, all heads now, started as combos). The combo cabinets are just too cramped & narrow with the amplifier in there.
    I think the Naylor speakers are really good--Jensen-like without the fragility--speakers, but I never liked the idea of front-mounting them. You have little choice in the 112 combos, though, as the magnet is right up against the chassis even when they are front-mounted. I have a Naylor 410 cabinet & have rear-mounted the speakers as I have in a 212 SD60 amp cabinet that I've modified to be a good speaker cabinet.

10. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I have a purple SC38 that I LOVE!

I replaced the tubes with a set of NOS tungsol 5881's and just love the tone.

I dropped like 100 bux on the tubes but felt that I was buying a set of tubes that I wouldn't have to think about and would last way longer than my fickle love affair with any amplifier.

I really have had a difficult time dialing in a bad tone with this amp. Biggest problem I have now is buring through OD pedals, the amp just sounds better using the master.

As far as speakers go...mine is a head witha matching 1x12 cab. I am using a Tone Tubby Hemp HE and LOVE it.

the amp did sound great with the G12H30 in it as well. I never had the naylor to compare it with though.

11. samtheman

samtheman Member

I had SC38 :mad: and I´m stupid coz it´s sold :mad: :mad: :mad:

Naylor SC38

12. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I had a SD 60 head and 2X12 for a while and it was a fantastic amp, one that I definitly regret selling.
    Although I never really experimented with tubes with that amp. It had a great aggressive tone and worked great with a strat.

13. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

tim pierce turned me on to naylors about 6 or 7 years ago. i bought a duel 60 head. i like the svetlana 6l6's in the power section & in the pre amp v1 position i like an 80's chinese 12ax7. the chinese 12ax7 pumps the gain up a bit, which i like, but i may not be what everyone is looking for.

mine has been sitting idle for the last year since i bought my divided by 13 9/15 head, but, i'll never get rid of my naylor. great sounding amps!

14. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

funny

[​IMG]

15. Don L

Don L Member

I love my Naylors! I have two real early SC38s, only two serial numbers apart! I've never changed the tubes on them because I got them both pretty recently.
    How do you bias the tubes when you change them? Do you have to open up the chassis (which I hate doing!) or can you do it from outside sort of like with BF Fender combos and some of the boutique amps? Thanks.

16. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

17. Don L

Don L Member

Crap...:(
    I was hoping to use my Alessandro Bias Meter like I would with the BF Fenders.

18. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

Hey Joe, did you buy that purple Naylor from Charlie Daughtry? It looks just like the one I sold him years ago, they didnt make many in purple, if this is the one, it was a special order that was purchased by a store owner who was a friend of mine. Great sounding amps.

19. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

No I actually bought this amp from Sparkle**

He purchased it on ebay. When he got it I dropped a speaker in the cab and had a chance to play it... I then hounded him until he sold it to me. :D

20. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

hey joe, looks like we have the same taste in amps. how do you like fred's 1x12? i've been using my 9/15 with a bogner open back 1x12 loaded with a 12xh30 anniversary, but i thought about getting the matching divided by 13 cab. probably wouldn't sound much different.