Naylor Super-drive 60 VS 38

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Johnnythunders, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

Other than power are there any other tonal differences between the two?

2. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

3. mcormier

mcormier Guest

from what i understand, wattage is the only difference, but i could be wrong

4. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I have an original Michigan-made SC-38 head, and while I haven't played a 60 in a long time, I would imagine it's pretty much the same animal with more power. Great amps, very under rated. I am suprised they aren't mentioned more around here, probably because there are newer amps popping up all the time.

5. NaylorStrat

NaylorStrat Member

I believe the circuits are both setup pretty much the same.

6. DavidE

DavidE Member

Andy Most needs to chime in here....

7. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

This is just my own observation with a SC38 I had and a couple of SD60s. The 60 just has a little more of what I like about the Naylor. A little more girth and cuts a little better. The SC38 seems to be a little more squishier & have a smoother top end. YMMV. It could be my strings, different tubes, cab - way too many variables not to mention plus I could be FOS but those were my observations. You could probably fool me in a blindfold test though. I heard Tony Sarno play live a few years ago through a SC38 1x12 combo though & it slayed. He's kind of or at least was a combo of SRV meets AC/DC. It's all good, getchu one!

8. mike aufrichtig

mike aufrichtig Silver Supporting Member

I've owned an Electroverb 38 for about ten years, but demoed several SC38's and SC60's before deciding on the 'verb. The SC38/60 sound very similar, but the 60 just has more sustain, depth, and in general, balls. That was the one that grabbed me and took my breath away. It felt more like a wild animal, trying to get out of its cage. If I had to decide between the two, despite not needing the extra volume the 60 has, that'd be my choice.