Naylor users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Randy, May 24, 2006.

1. Randy

Randy Member

Any Naylor users out there who can tell me about the Superclub and Superdrive series? How do they compare to one another? Same preamp with different power sections or does the Superdrive have more gain?

I just tried an SC38 combo and it sounded great - thick and chewy with a great master volume. You could tell it would just sit perfectly in a mix. It could have used a little more gain and low end for my tastes though... will an SD60 get me there?

Also, any info on certain years of these amps that are better then others?

Thanks!

2. Don L

Don L Member

I've heard that the SD60 has more gain. I've never tried them myself. I have two SC38s that have more than enough gain for my taste and through 2x12 or bigger cabs, they sound pretty big with lots of low end. The early Eastpointe ones seem more desirable.

3. Randy

Randy Member

Thanks for the info!

Do you ever push the front end of your Superclub's with a pedal? How does it take them?

Any idea on what used SD60's go for?

4. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Hi,

I use the naylor duel 60 head with scumback speakers. What a combo!Hats off to Jim and his speakers as well... Its a super sounding amp. Great master vol... Has about as much gain on tap as a JCM 800. It gets a real good brown sound. I use mine with an overdrive pedal even though it doesn't need it, like most amps you ususally get a better crunch with an external O/D. After speaking to joe a while ago he told me supposedly the OD circuits are basically the same on all them with the exception of the original superdrive but he told me the later ones sound a little better after they tweaked them a bit.

5. Randy

Randy Member

Interesting.. the SC38 I tried had a lot more gain then a JCM800. I know it was an early one. I've got to look into these a bit further - that tone is haunting me.

Thanks for the info!

6. Mark Williams

Mark Williams Gold Supporting Member

The Superclub 38's and SuperDrive 60's, in general, have a very similar character & tone. The SD60, as you would expect, just has more output. You won't get more gain from an SD60 than an SC38, though, just more output. It should be noted that, in my experience (and I've had a lot of Naylors, including the modded SC38 & SD60 I still have), the Naylors are not all that uniform or consistent--some just sound a lot better to me than others, even among those that are the same model. Joe Naylor & Dan Russell (who developed the SuperClub & SuperDrive series, not the Electraverbs) felt that the later Michigan-built ones were superior, but I'm not sure exactly why.
    I've also found that Naylors sound A LOT better when used as a head with a good cabinet than when they're in a cramped Naylor combo cabinet with the necessarily front-mounted speaker(s). The LOW END you're looking for will show up in this configuration, especially with rear-mounted speakers & a closed or semi closed back. I've had several Naylors that were combos & are now heads & cabinets so I think this is an informed opinion.
    Lastly, if you're looking for more gain & output and don't need much clean, Doug Roccaforte does a great HIGH GAIN mod on Naylors. The amps retain the Naylor character with a much broader potential w/re: gain/overdrive. You need to know first, though, that you especially like the sound of the particular Naylor you have as it's tone & character will come through.

7. Randy

Randy Member

Thanks for the input Mark! The Superclub 38 combo I had tried out is already sold, but I've got my eye on this Roccaforte modded SC38 head on Ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7418923250&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I don't know where it will end up but it sure is tempting...

8. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

9. Mark Williams

Mark Williams Gold Supporting Member

Right you are, Kevin! I put it up when I was in one of my panics, then decided that if I put a high enough reserve on it, I would likely not really have to sell it...........but I did still leave it up there. We'll see.

10. jdzialak

jdzialak Supporting Member

I have a Duel 60 and it sure has more gain than a stock JCM800.

Joe

11. Don L

Don L Member

Never tried with any pedals because it has way more gain than I'd ever need. Definitely more gain than any JCM800s I've tried as others have said...