Naylor vs Friedman

kramerxxx

Is a Dirty Shirley about the same thing as a Naylor SD60 with a tube rectifier? I've read the Dirty Shirley is a JCM800 with a bit more gain on tap, with a tube rectifier. Is that the main difference, the rectifier, between a good JCM800? I've read the Naylor is a good Marshall with 6L6s. Naylors are hard to find, Friedman's are getting easier to find all the time. There are currently three available on craigslist best me right now, though not a Dirty Shirley, yet....

I have a Budda SD30 series 1, and it is not the clear open tone I would like it to be, even after trying new tubes. Don't get me wrong, it is a great amp, but maybe not the amp for me.

Anyone own a Naylor and a Dirty Shirley?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I owned both a club 38 and 60 from Naylor. I also used to be a dealer for them. I've played a Dirty Shirley... To my ears they are different sounding amps.. The Naylors have a fullness and clarity that's hard to describe. All the Freidmans I've played sound more like good hot rodded Marshalls. Different amps. Naylors also always used 5881's. Different sounding tube than an el34

kramerxxx

I owned both a club 38 and 60 from Naylor. I also used to be a dealer for them. I've played a Dirty Shirley... To my ears they are different sounding amps.. The Naylors have a fullness and clarity that's hard to describe. All the Freidmans I've played sound more like good hot rodded Marshalls. Different amps. Naylors also always used 5881's. Different sounding tube than an el34
Ok, thanks. I've not heard or have seen, a Naylor in the flesh, but would love to.

What did you replace the Nsylors with, I'd you don't mind my asking.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
I have wanted to play a Naylor for the longest time. It seems like an amp I'd get along with really well.

I do have an older Friedman Naked that is one of the greatest sounding/feeling amps I've ever heard. It is allegedly Friedman's take on a Naylor preamp mated to a Marshall JMP 100 watt power section. If an actual Naylor sounds anything like this amp, it's a keeper.

EDIT: I had a BE-100 for a few months too. Loved that as well, but find the Naked more unique and prefer it.

jimijimmyjeffy

The Naylor I heard was heavier sounding than my Dirty Shirley. Sounded quite good though. A little darker than a typical Marshall. Don't know the model.

The DS is more old school with a good bit more gain than older Marshalls. Old school on steroids. Fat classic rock with an aggressive edge. Immediate response to picking, like a snap. Sag and bloom too. The tube rectification gives it great cleans like a jtm. Low gain it shimmers like Page chords. Does have a lot of bass kick if you want it.

The Naylor sounded like it could handle more modern stuff and metal better. But I'm otherwise ignorant about Naylors. The one I heard was different than any amp I've heard.

The DS is also unique, not really a copy of any one thing. Slightly harder to categorize than most of the 'designer Marshall clones'.

Last edited:

davidespinosa

Silver Supporting Member
A Naylor and a DS sound quite different -- check the clips. I assume it's the preamp -- the rectifier doesn't matter until you crank it.

Naylors show up used on eBay and Reverb pretty often. Or you can buy one new!

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Ok, thanks. I've not heard or have seen, a Naylor in the flesh, but would love to.

What did you replace the Nsylors with, I'd you don't mind my asking.
I was playing Naylors in the 90's. That's probably 100 amps ago... Actually, if I could get another Club 38, it would probably be one of my main amps but I haven't seen one in years...

TonyBony

My Naylor SC38 is my main amp and the one that cured my amp gas. I noodled through a DS briefly, I really liked it, but I would say it was different from my Naylor. Ive never played a Super Drive 60. :(

buddastrat

I am still on the honeymoon with my Naylor SC38 after a year. Just a combo but may convert to a head one of these days. It's a thick ass amp. Like a milkshake with granola in there, sweet n' crunchy. It's got it's own thing. Reminds me of a really fat 2204 I had. It was thicker than my other Marshalls and seemed to have a bit more gain. Naylor is like a meaty, singy Marshall with some Fender in there. Kinda unique.

I really love the Dirty Shirley Friedman clips, have not played one, but the clips sound like a great, classic Marshall tones without needing an OD pedal with it. Also has a great loop, I hear.

The other Friedmans seem more towards the metal side for tones. All great, well made amps. There is a clip on YT comparing a Naylor and Friedman from a forum member more in the metal style.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rod

Trending Topics