NBA Finals 2017......Who ya' got?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2HBStrat, May 27, 2017.

Who's winning in 2017?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2017.
  1. Golden State Warriors

72 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

26 vote(s)
    23.6%
  3. GS would be 3-0 if Draymond played and Barnes could hit

7 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. Cleveland would be 3-0 if Kyrie had played

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Seance

Seance Member

"What people remember" and "what really matters" are separate things.
    If you were Shaq and an informal poll of your fans dissed you, would you
    want to stick around? Or would you prove your worth by taking your talents
    to Venice Beach?

2. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

But they were already successful without him. It'd be like joining the most successful car dealership in the country and being salesman of the month.

murraythek likes this.
  3. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Let's be real on who's taking the more simplistic view of this imagined scenario and who is trying to apply the same numbers.

It doesn't matter that Curry is a threat from 3. It matters that he's a threat from deep. NBA defenses don't want to give up a deuce any more than they want to give up a three.

4. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

You didn't "outline" anything. You said take away the 3 point FG and his scoring would be cut in half. In the real world, he takes higher percentage shots. This past season, a little less than half his field goals were on threes, so his scoring average...on field goals...goes down by about 20% His free throws added another 177 points, which takes up the totals even more. So, in your scenario where the three point line doesn't exist, Curry probably averages closer to 19-20 points/game. Though, reality would have him taking more high percentage shots and drawing fouls, so he probably averages 22-23- ppg...

Far cry from the HALF you claimed. Being a stay at home dad....spend a few minutes researching...amazing what you can learn.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    sfarnell likes this.
  5. John Hurtt

Time will tell on this...you could be right.

6. John Hurtt

In your comparison...that makes Durant the greatest player in the NBA....

7. John Hurtt

How about talking about the series? What do the Cavs do to get back in this? How do they adjust?

8. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Probably didn't tell Riley what to do, but Riley's experienced enough with superstars that he realizes they get some pull, and he left a more impressionable head coach in place.

Wade wasn't peak, but he was still good enough to stand in as the lead guy at first, so let's not let that narrative take off. Lebron looked at what he had in Cleveland and what he achieved with it and had an idea of the talent level needed to get him a title. Wade was in place and Bosh was an easy sell, and they nabbed some role players he was familiar with. Same thing + some backroom dealing to get Love to Cleveland and the formula worked out again. Judging by the party they threw in Miami, he had the same or a higher level of confidence in winning the title there than Durant had in signing with GS.

9. Seance

Seance Member

Home court will have an impact. Lebron will doubtless kick things up a
    notch or two, and I expect JR Smith and Korver to start sinking shots.
    But the biggest thing the Cavs will focus on is testing the Warriors bench
    by going after Curry, Durant and Green defensively in an effort to get
    them into foul trouble. It worked a bit with Green in the last game. But
    basically the Cavs have to get all three into foul trouble.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Richard Jefferson or Dahntay Jones
    or JR Smith tried to "dirty up" the play and "inadvertently" knocked somebody
    physically out of the game. Dahntay Jones will perhaps step under a jumpshooter
    to see if he can sprain some ankles. The Cavs will try to bait someone (Green)
    into getting ejected from the game by entrapping him into committing a flagrant.
    Lebron was able to do that last year. He will likely try the same tactic again this year.

time2kill likes this.
  10. bunuel

bunuel Member

They'll need to play better D. So far, it's been execrable. I can't say that the W's have look unstoppable, rather that the C's aren't consistently playing solid D of any sort.

time2kill and John Hurtt like this.
  11. guitz

guitz Member

I think it'll take the Warriors insane outside shooting to cool WAY off combined with LeBron, Love and Irving to shoot and hit like the Warriors usually shoot and hit

time2kill and John Hurtt like this.
  12. telelion

telelion Member

The Cavs need player and ball movement. Having JR and Korver and others just be spreaders and expecting good looks isn't happening. I have seen the Cavs play basketball this season as well as GS many times. It is almost always when their transition three point wide open game is clicking and the lanes become open for driving as well. As we all know they jacked up more threes than GS this year. But GS is not allowing this and the Cavs are all ISO and out of rhythm.

The D goes without saying and was way better in Game 2 but they really need some offense from some one other than LBJ or K Love. Lue is being seriously outcoached in preparation and adjustments.

13. cratz2

cratz2 Member

They could put on Warriors jerseys. :bonk

John Hurtt, sfarnell and martyncrew like this.
  14. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Member

i love watching the cavs get crushed. their tombstone cookies, up 3 one cake and stupid poster of lbj with the championship ring right outside the warriors locker room pissed off the warriors. the warriors are so refreshing as they are just a group of players who love to play basketball not smug assholes like coby bryant, lbj, dwayne wade. lebron refused to speak at the podium after game 2. guess can't speak with the taste of defeat in his mouth...
    :stir go warriors!

15. time2kill

time2kill Member

I agree with the comments above. Better defense, better shooting from the supporting cast, LaBron has to drive and force fouls. But also, the Cavs have to REBOUND better. I've seen several occasions where NO Cavs were even in position to REBOUND. They are standing around on the 3 point line hoping to get the ball passed to them. When you see the shot is going up, get in the paint and fight for that REBOUND. That's just good basic basketball.

John Hurtt and bunuel like this.
  16. teleguy1974

teleguy1974 Member

Better example might be KD as Deion on that Super Bowl 90s 49er team, except KD will probably be there longer and is less of a prick.

17. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Really?!? You know these guys personally?(BTW, it's Kobe)

bunuel and pickaguitar like this.
  18. aldridt1

aldridt1 Member

Cavs need 125 - 130 points to win. Its simple math. I don't think they can get there.

Give james and irving 40 each.....you're still in a bad spot. 40 each for james and irving, and 25 for love.....still not for sure enough, depending on the rest of the team. And that is being generous, I think.

If you could count on 10 - 12 from Smith and Korver, you can get to that sweet spot of 125 alot easier, but I don't think you can count on that.

Other Cavs need to start producing points. that is the only way they have a chance.

bunuel likes this.
  19. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Golden State needs this game tonight.....they need to put the pedal to the metal....they need to put the hammer down.....they need to put any chance of the Cavs coming back completely out of the question. OTOH if GS were to win tonight, and then The Cavs were to be able to come back from 0-3 it would be another precedent set, and thus ensure LeBron's kingship....

20. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I'm so mixed on this...

I love Durant and want him to win...be the difference maker
    I can't stand the 'splash brothers'...don't want Curry's ego any bigger. I find their 3 point dependent way of playing silly imo
    I'm a Lebron fan...but at the same time don't want him surpassing MJ in any way
    Kyrie is my favorite player...wanting him to dominate!

Guess I'll just watch and see :)

time2kill and bunuel like this.