NBA Playoff Seeding.....Should it be done differently?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2HBStrat, Apr 18, 2016.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Since the 3, or maybe 4, best teams are in the West, should the NBA playoff seeding be changed so that the divisions are not a factor in the seeding? That way Golden State vs. OKC or San Antonio could be the NBA Finals, and not the Western Conference Finals, with the Finals being an afterthought?

2. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    No. While it's unfortunate that the west is stacked, it's just a momentary issue. It's pretty frequent that one of the divisional finals series are better than the league finals. I'm OK with it...

3. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

too much travel involved if you get rid of conferences. maybe if it coincided with dropping 25 games from the regular season. we all know that won't happen because of greed.

4. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

5. Route234

Route234 Member

I like Conferences and Divisions.

6. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

If you do away with divisions, you should also do away with conferences. I like the divisions and conferences though. Makes for better rivalries.

lp_bruce likes this.
  7. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Greed, or the fact that enough people like to go to or watch basketball games enough that they go to them or watch them on TV. If a business satisfying demand is greed, I guess greed then.

8. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Exactly. Travel and building rivalries are the primary reasons we have divisions. I'm cool with how things are.

Peace,

cratz2 likes this.
  9. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Exactly. :aok

StanG likes this.
  10. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Do you want the playoffs to take 4 mos instead of 2?

cratz2 likes this.
  11. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Winning the Conference Championship is meaningful to teams and their fans. They hang a banner, it becomes part of their history. They sell hats and tee shirts, which means that fans want to buy the hats and tee shirts.

Not the Lakers or the Celtics of course, but that's another story. They don't have room for the Conference or Division banners. :banana

And even the most accurate seedings don't always create the best match ups. Also, they play an uneven schedule, so the records don't necessarily reflect the best teams. It can be harder to have a good record if you're laying in a tougher overall conference. The four best records might well mean an easier conference top to bottom. I'm not saying that's the case right now, but changing the system simply to respond to a current situation is pretty short sighted.

lp_bruce likes this.
  12. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

I think the West is stacked at the top 4 compared to the East's top 4, but seems like the rest favors the East. It wasn't that long ago when fans were beating up the East for having sub-.500 teams getting in the playoffs, but I see that the West's bottom teams have a worse regular season record than the East. Pistons are a good team with young players and won the regular season against the Cavs.

The Heat look really good. Bad matchup for the Cavs if they play them.

For GS, their bad matchups seemed to be against the Trailblazers and the Jazz. Don't have to worry about the Jazz now, but funny with the Clippers blowing out the Blazers since it could do GS a favor since they have dominated the Clippers as opposed to the Blazers.

13. airportbar

airportbar Member

I have a good feeling about my Clippers hanging another 1st round banner this year. :banana

After which, I will immediately turn to baseball.

14. dave s

dave s Member

There is a good reason why the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament, (March Madness) is the absolute BEST sports tournament played each year. Because EVERY game is a 'win, or go home' game. And a 15 seed can beat a 1 seed in one game. Anything is possible in the NCAA tournament and happens every year.

Major league sports believes the answer is letting more teams INTO the playoff picture. MLB does the extra wild card team with the additional potential for one or more 'play-in' games to see who gets that final one-game wild card games. That's what a 'playoff' is about. Win, or go home. I like seeing MLB managers pitch their starters 2 or 3 innings a piece and try to get to their closer to win a game. In this situation, there might not BE a tomorrow.

The NBA playoff theory is this: The better team will always prevail in a SEVEN GAME SERIES. Too long. Too boring. Money grab. More unnecessary games for the players. Rounds one and two should be THREE game series with plus point differential awarded home court for game three IF it goes that long. This way, after game one, the series becomes 'win, or go home' which actually makes NBA playoff games important and exciting from GAME ONE. Conference Championships are 3 games as well. NBA finals no more than 5 games.

As far as seeding goes, throw all the team names in a hat and draw out pairings. This way, MAKING the playoffs is the priority for ALL NBA teams. Then anything can happen. Can you imagine if GS Warriors drew SAT Spurs in ROUND ONE? And in a THREE GAME SERIES? Talk about raising the stakes!!! This is what the NBA playoffs SHOULD look like!

dave