NBD - MIJ Geddy Lee Fender Jazz Bass (thread name finally changed!)

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Beto, May 11, 2015.

1. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

Hi,

I'm a guitar player and this is going to be my first bass guitar, so I'm definitely not used to the nuances regarding tonal differences between woods and hardware at all in this department.

I'm going to buy an used MIJ Geddy Lee Fender Jazz Bass, but my options are narrowed because I don't live in the US, Japan or Europe, where I suppose this model to be widely available.

There is only one for sale in my town, but its owner has replaced the original pickups with the N3 Noiseless Jazz Bass pickups. He claims they are better pickups, and is asking a little bit more than the best price I've found by far (around US$130 more). I don't mind paying for the difference (so that I wouldn't have to take a long trip or have the bass shipped), but I'd do so only if those pickups are at least as good as the original pickups when it comes to tone.

Thanks in advance.

2. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Not original, not the full value. They probably aren't bad, but not worth an upcharge unless the originals are part of the sale.

3. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

Probably a good thing. Mine is all original but has a weaker output compared to my Lakland.

Folks should always keep all of the parts you remove from an instrument.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yeah, if he still has the originals to throw in the bass would be worth normal used price; without them it's worth a little less, not more. by all means hammer him down on the price.

still, those are good basses, and if one has come along at a reasonable price when they're hard to find, might as well get it.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

As usual, I find myself in complete agreement with Walter...

I would add the advice to look the neck over carefully - those necks are a bit on the thin side, and a couple have twisted... If the neck is straight and the fretwork good, it'll be a good instrument for years to come...

- georgestrings

6. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

Thanks for all the comments.

I went to try it yesterday and it was in great shape. Its owner still has the original pickups. HOWEVER, I'd have to pay someone to put them back and he wouldn't reduce the price he was asking for his bass.

But what made me giving up on the deal was that he had painted the pickguard black. While I liked the final result (black body w/ black pickguard), at close inspection it was possible to see some flaws on the edge of the pickguard. Also, as mentioned above, his bass guitar is not original anymore, so that I'm not going to pay him more than what can buy a mint original one.

7. walterw

that's always ridiculous, paint looks bad and doesn't really last that long on plastic pickguards; still, you could get a replacement for not too much money.

hell, if the guy wanted "black on black" he should have just removed the pickguard! the body should have no holes underneath and so looks good with no pickguard, jaco-style. (unlike american and mexican standard Js, which have a bunch of routs and channels under the pickguard :()

8. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

Well, there is a MIJ sunburst in mint condition that have just popped out on our local ebay/CL going for a good price. The only 'issue' (when it comes to the original specs) is that when the current owner bought the bass, somebody had already put Wilkinson tuners on it.

To be honest, if I were going to buy a brand new one, I'd choose the sunburst.

9. walterw

lightweights?

if so, that mod is a real plus.

10. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

I don't know. Neither its current owner does. This is going to be my first bass guitars, so I'm a newbie on this subject.

If writing the link to the ad here is against TGP rules, I could PM you the link so that you could try to identify the tuners.

11. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

It took a few months until I could make a trip and pick up the bass I had mentioned here, but now...

Here is the NBD for my first bass guitar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass MIJ. The tuners have been replaced with Wilkinson tuners (they don't seem to be lightweights). The neck on this bass is really very thin and narrow - which I'm really appreciating. I think I'm going to have lots of fun with this thing!

12. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

Looks very nice! Congrats!

13. eldorado2001

eldorado2001 Member

14. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

Nice!!! I have a MIJ 75 Reissue that has kept me from pulling the triggers on the Geddy's i've played, but only just. Have fun!

15. walterw

win

you do need to press those ferrules around the tuner posts back down to the wood, though. that's also not enough wraps on any of the strings, especially the A; like any fender, that one needs windings that go all the way down to the peghead face or the A string will rattle in the nut slot.

also, do you have a pic of the back of the headstock? if those keys are the ones with the little housing and the little gear, then they are lightweights and a very nice upgrade for balancing on a strap.

16. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

Thanks, Walter! This is very valuable info.

How do I do it? Can it be done without removing strings and screws?

I'll try to take care of this.

[​IMG]

17. walterw

hmm, somebody swapped out the gotoh full-size for wilkinson full-size, a complete waste of money as the gotohs are better keys. (wilkys are OK though)

the thing to eventually do is wrangle a set of lightweight keys from hipshot or gotoh, expensive but well worth it, the bass will feel so much lighter on a strap.

the gotoh resolites would be a perfect fit.

18. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I'd plus one this, also I'd add the Hipshot Bass X-Tender for the E string.

[​IMG]
    A very useful piece of gear on nearly every bass. My wife has them on all her basses, and so do I.