NBD - NS Design Radius 5-string!

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by BigDoug1053, Feb 13, 2018.

1. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

I'd like a 4 string fretless with just the piezo pickup, ditch the mag ones.

3. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Member

Meh, the piezo by itself isn't as great on a solid-bodied one but combined with the EMGs in it, it's great.

To the OP, I've been an NS Endorsing Artist for a number of years now, and use my CR-5M Electric-Upright pretty regularly at gigs. I have a Radius CR 5 string as well (it's in my bio pic), and don't gig a ton with it, but do enjoy it quite a bit.

BigDoug1053 likes this.
  4. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    Always wanted to try one of those. Congrats.

I have a 4 string Omnibass (piezo only). It's fun to play, but hasn't got much use lately. I was thinking about selling it.

5. s2y

s2y Member

I haven't heard piezos on a fretted bass that wowed me. I'd imagine fretless would make the piezo sound a little better. I have RMC piezo in my fretless Conklin, which sound so good that I rarely use the magnetic pickups.

6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Member

I have yet to find a piezo on a fretted or fretless, that I like solo. It's a nice add-in to the pickups because it brings a nice percussive nuance and a kind of sparkle to the sound, but otherwise nope.

7. s2y

s2y Member

Respectfully, I highly doubt either of us have tried every config under the sun. I have yet to see another bass with the same specs as my Conklin. Rob Allen users never seem to have a problem with the Fishman piezo.

8. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Member

I've tried way more than people think (one of the perks of the day job), but sure. Which is why I led with "I have yet to find..." ;)

9. s2y

s2y Member

What is your synopsis of the Rob Allen Mouse 30?

10. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Member

A semi-hollow bass like the RA Mouse sounds pretty great with the piezo, but he also put a lot of thought into designing the whole instrument. I doubt he would've stuck solely with just piezo on a solid-bodied version.

s2y likes this.
  11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

I used to have a CR4M; loved the bridge piezo by itself, never really cared for the tone of the EMGs in it. I take it from your comment the Radius is nothing like the CR4M as to producing great tone, then?

12. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Member

Completely different beasts. The piezos in the CR Series of Electric-Upright basses are way different (and there are multiple that you can blend together for arco/pizz, in addition to blending the mags) than the bridge one in the Radius.

The Radius produces great tone; I never said it didn't. However, the piezo by itself on it is not something I'd solo at all. Running the neck pickup and the piezo on the Radius is my favorite tone, as the piezo tightens up the thicker tone from the neck.

BigDoug1053 likes this.
  13. s2y

s2y Member

The chambers add to the airy tone of the bass.

Nonetheless, the piezo on my Conklin is quite useable. I can get Yves Carbonne's Holy Spirit tone and a nice Steely Dan sounding bass tone out of it along the lines of Peg, minus the chops. I often add some piezo the magnetic pickups. Despite using the same pickups as a pre-Gibson Tobias, they don't sound very good solo'd in that particular bass.

14. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Thanks for the comments, guys. One of the things I was surprised about with the Radius bass is the deepness of the bass on the piezo and the overall higher level of the piezo compared to the EMGs. I agree, Jon, that the bridge EMG with the piezo is a great sound, especially for harmonics and percussive pop and slap sounds. The Radius bass has a clarity that even my Warwick Thumb Bass 5 with a brass nut lacks - I suspect because of the 35" scale length and the combination of pickups. The Radius piezo does not sound acoustic to me - but it definitely has a wide spectrum that makes harmonics pop.

My Omni bass does a pretty good emulation of acoustic bass tone and sound on it's Polar piezo - and I have been accepted as "OK" by snooty bluegrass purists who usually insist on the pain and suffering of a bass fiddle. On that bass, I am usually leaning more on the piezo for accompanying as a fake acoustic bassist. It also can do a fair Percy Jones imitation with the magnetic pickups engaged. Interestingly, the Piezo is the weaker pickup for the Omni bass - the opposite of the Radius.

15. s2y

s2y Member

Most of my piezo+mag basses have a buffer that can allow you to make the volume between the two a little more consistent.

BigDoug1053 likes this.